Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Removing BOV

This user has no status
    Thanks

Removing BOV

I'm sure this will be an old chestnut for some people and always seems to be a bit of a grey area as to the effects of it.

Basically, I like this noise:

[ame]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=IguEOuPvKDs[/ame]

My Primera GT Turbo used to make that noise and I prefer it to the BOV noise.

Can this noise be created just by removing the BOV and more importantly, will it cause damage to the tub?

1998 S40 T4
    Two Hundred Horses of Swedish Boost Action!!

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevie-Boy View Post
    I'm sure this will be an old chestnut for some people and always seems to be a bit of a grey area as to the effects of it.

Basically, I like this noise:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=IguEOuPvKDs

My Primera GT Turbo used to make that noise and I prefer it to the BOV noise.

Can this noise be created just by removing the BOV and more importantly, will it cause damage to the tub?
    that sounds like compressor surge to me.. I personally wouldn't want to hear it on my car as its the compressed air hitting off the throttle plate and being passed back through the turbo.. not sure how harmful it would be on a normal turbo/bearings but I *think* it is not as problematic/harmful on a BB turbo.. can't imagine it would be good in the long run either way though..

better video/explanation of it here:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZUbo_mNDZM[/ame]

HTH
    Last edited by pangster; Tuesday 18th November 2008 at 13:36.

1998 BMW Z3 2.8 Roadster

Gizza job!
    Thanks
    Perhaps this is the noise you REALLY want:

[ame]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=lZG0RS3mVBc[/ame]
    Last edited by Yosser; Tuesday 18th November 2008 at 14:04.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Yosser For This Useful Post:

pangster (Tuesday 18th November 2008)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Yosser View Post
    Perhaps this is the noise you REALLY want:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=lZG0RS3mVBc
    FPMSL!!!!

1998 BMW Z3 2.8 Roadster

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Old vid LOL, I'll skip that I think. If I wanted daft responses I'd have posted this in the off topic section rather than the modification area cheers.

Well, I've seen some pretty serious 200sx running with the above noise (not the duck) and it sounds well nice. Much better than the psssst that everybody has.

Watch this video around 1m30, best example is around 2m.

[ame]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=CJlR_zIwmiE[/ame]

Seriously modded car so it can't be deemed as being chavvy?
    Last edited by Stevie-Boy; Tuesday 18th November 2008 at 14:55.

1998 S40 T4

This user has no status

Thanks

Seriously modded car so it can't be deemed as being chavvy?
    Chavvy is when its a noise created just for the amusment of the owener and not for any performance gains....a lot like spinning rims, bean can exhausts etc

x

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I was more leaning towards saying that by asking about compressor surge noise, I've had a stupid duck noise back so am assuming that to the masses, any sort of noise is stupid right?

1998 S40 T4

Gizza job!
    Thanks
    Sorry Stevie-Boy, no offence meant - I just really love that duck call vid!

I personally don't have a BOV but I don't mind the noise of them, in fact I have considered fitting one in the past (wouldn't totally rule it out in the future).

A lot of people argue that it's a 'cosmetic' mod because there is no performance benefit from replacing the CBV with a BOV - although above a certain boost pressure I think there is a benefit.

There's another thread on surge on volvospeed : http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/index...owtopic=103524

This user has no status

Thanks
    im sure thats something to do with how far the wastegate is open. my old suzuki swift gti turbo did that. i agree that it sounds better.

tempo

This user has no status

Thanks

Talking

I was more leaning towards saying that by asking about compressor surge noise, I've had a stupid duck noise back so am assuming that to the masses, any sort of noise is stupid right?
    I think MrsM is meaning that in order for the turbo to make the noise you like.. what physically happens is that the pressurised air that cant escape anywhere else on lift off i.e. normally would be recirculated (re-circ valve) or vented to atmosphere (blow off valve) now only have one direction to go - back where they came. The noise is caused because the compressed air is hitting the turbo fins in the wrong direction (turbo spinning the wrong way) which causes it to momentarily stall. If you then apply the throttle and create boost then the turbo has to start spinning the correct way again - in theory this will take longer(increased lag time)/have a detrimental effect on performance due to fins spinning the wrong way making that noise you like. But WRC teams and the like get around this by fitting ball bearing turbos and anti-lag systems which are effectively creating boost all the time.

1998 BMW Z3 2.8 Roadster

12. The Following User Says Thank You to pangster For This Useful Post:

Stevie-Boy (Wednesday 19th November 2008)

This user has no status

Thanks

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by tempo View Post
    im sure thats something to do with how far the wastegate is open. my old suzuki swift gti turbo did that. i agree that it sounds better.

tempo
    nope - "wastegate chatter" (which I think is what you are referring to) is a myth... the sound the OP is talking about is definately turbo stall/turbo flutter/compressor surge.

1998 BMW Z3 2.8 Roadster

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Yosser View Post
    Sorry Stevie-Boy, no offence meant - I just really love that duck call vid!

I personally don't have a BOV but I don't mind the noise of them, in fact I have considered fitting one in the past (wouldn't totally rule it out in the future).

A lot of people argue that it's a 'cosmetic' mod because there is no performance benefit from replacing the CBV with a BOV - although above a certain boost pressure I think there is a benefit.

There's another thread on surge on volvospeed : http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/index...owtopic=103524
    I'm pretty sure I read there was no performance benefit to a BOV unless running >20 psi which on our engines isn't something you'd want to do without forged rods in any case as that's rod bending material from what I've read!

1998 BMW Z3 2.8 Roadster

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pangster View Post
    I think MrsM is meaning that in order for the turbo to make the noise you like.. what physically happens is that the pressurised air that cant escape anywhere else on lift off i.e. normally would be recirculated (re-circ valve) or vented to atmosphere (blow off valve) now only have one direction to go - back where they came. The noise is caused because the compressed air is hitting the turbo fins in the wrong direction (turbo spinning the wrong way) which causes it to momentarily stall. If you then apply the throttle and create boost then the turbo has to start spinning the correct way again - in theory this will take longer(increased lag time)/have a detrimental effect on performance due to fins spinning the wrong way making that noise you like. But WRC teams and the like get around this by fitting ball bearing turbos and anti-lag systems which are effectively creating boost all the time.
    Errrrmmmm I'd have liked to have meant that.........

x

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrsmopp View Post
    Errrrmmmm I'd have liked to have meant that.........

x

1998 BMW Z3 2.8 Roadster

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pangster View Post
    nope - "wastegate chatter" (which I think is what you are referring to) is a myth... the sound the OP is talking about is definately turbo stall/turbo flutter/compressor surge.
    well thats something i never knew. learn something everyday!! hehe

tempo

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Sometimes nothing is ever that simple, read link below and ask yourself why Russ is now considering using a compressor by- pass system when he originally said they were not needed............is it the size of the turbo or the boost or both? I certainly would not need one on my car if it was just for performance as its auto..........

http://forums.t5d5.org/index.php?showtopic=3662&st=60
    Engineer

This user has no status

Thanks
    on my 200sx i took mine off. loved the sound!! how couldn't you??

on the sxoc i was shown a link that said that up to 1.4 bar it was okay not to run one.

then i bought a brand new GT28RS. didn't want to take the risk so i chickened out and put the dump valve back on

i've tried it with the volvo and for whatever reason it's nowhere near as loud. the way i have my dump valve set up now is for it to only dump at near enough peak boost.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    On my old renault 21 turbo when i first got it, it was running 28PSI boost and i had a forge group A dump valve on that, i sold it to my brother after 6 mths of trouble free motoring and to get the same noise you are after he took off the dump valve and less than 500 miles later he was sat at the side of the road with a turbo minus most of its blades on the turbine wheel and all of the blades from the compressor wheel nicely stuffed into my Cossie intercooler core!
    This failure was due to the high boost level + no dump valve. i then bought it back off him and rebuilt it all refitted the dump valve and was running 16psi at 249bhp for the rest of its life, and i believe its still running the same setup (at last contact with new owner 12 mths ago)
    I love the turbo chatter noise but the sound of a HKS SSQV is just sex on a stick and its going to help keep things safe too. which is why i am fitting one to mine instead of the bloody silly bailey dv26 thats on there at the mo

21. The Following User Says Thank You to dangerstevie For This Useful Post:

Stevie-Boy (Wednesday 19th November 2008)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thank you all for the comments, very useful and has convinced me to enjoy the noise but to let it stay on other peoples cars!

Sorry for being a bit radge earlier on, I wanted it to be a serious discussion and when the duck post came, I thought it was just going to turn into one big piss take.

1998 S40 T4

Gizza job!
    Thanks
    Sorry for being a bit radge earlier on, I wanted it to be a serious discussion and when the duck post came, I thought it was just going to turn into one big piss take.
    Sorry, thats my fault.

The whole duck call dump valve thing gets me every time

I might even consider fitting one myself

Thread Information