Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

ABS & BRAKE WARNING LIGHT

Sometimes i get the ABS and BRAKE WARNING LIGHT lighting up also the speedo goes to zero and the mileage goes to ------.---- any ideas as to wot it can be? all happen together and its only for a few seconds to a minute

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    I would say that the ABS warning light comes on under many different conditions but all point to one thing, usually. That is the ABS ECU is faulty.

See here

http://www.volvot5.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=224

Symptoms do vary and I would get any fault codes read first to ensure that it is not a wheel sensor playing up/shorting out.

I expect that I need to repair your unit, bearing in mind exchange units (new for old) are over 300 quid. Contact me if you want my help.

Cheers

Dave

ps usually the light will come on without reason then go off again. Frequency will eventually increase as will the duration - All pointing to a faulty ABS ECU/
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

This user has no status

Thanks
    I've just started to get this issue on the P plate 850 estate i have recently purchased, how easy is it to get sorted out?? it just comes and goes, my brakes seem to work ok though?

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    It is easy to sort. You just send me the unit and I fix it for a small fee. Job done.

I shall be blunt to make this apparent to all. Your brakes will still work - The ABS system has nothing to do with the middle pedal not working and will for most of the time never be used. That is not the issue, it is just that your ABS wont (when the light is on) and one day you might need to brake and steer at the same time. This will prove difficult with the wheels locked up.
    Sods law will say the one day you actually need ABS and don't have it, all will become clear

Just a thought?
    Last edited by dave850R; Saturday 7th May 2005 at 00:28.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair

This user has no status

Thanks
    cheers for that!! so you think the problem is just with the unit itself, and hence when you are complete the ABS will work as normal?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    hi do you fix primera abs ecu's???? just done our lasses , put new pads and discs on the front, and still when your driving you hear this noise , its like you have full lock on and power steering is kicking in(but it isint) you can feel it throgh the steering wheel, i pulled the abs fuse out and the noise has gone? but when you do have the fuse in no lights come on (abs) but the light is on when i pull the fuse....does that sound like the ecu is knackerd? and if you cant fix them could i pull one from another primera and stick it in to our lasses or do they have to be programmed?

mark
    Last edited by markt4; Saturday 7th May 2005 at 16:00.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by soopersuds
    cheers for that!! so you think the problem is just with the unit itself, and hence when you are complete the ABS will work as normal?

In my case, it did - see here.....

http://www.volvot5.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1918

Matt.
    Wish I had a Volvo!

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by markt4
    hi do you fix primera abs ecu's???? just done our lasses , put new pads and discs on the front, and still when your driving you hear this noise , its like you have full lock on and power steering is kicking in(but it isint) you can feel it throgh the steering wheel, i pulled the abs fuse out and the noise has gone? but when you do have the fuse in no lights come on (abs) but the light is on when i pull the fuse....does that sound like the ecu is knackerd? and if you cant fix them could i pull one from another primera and stick it in to our lasses or do they have to be programmed?

mark
    Sorry mate - Volvo only. I have about as much clue on the Primera as a small ant has on the English Reformation - namely not a lot.

However we do have contacts. Seek out and find "Random Guy" - he is a member of NPOC and would have a clue (see Judgeninga for more info)
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair

Thread Information