Join Today
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    This user has no status
    Thanks

MOT noooooooooooo!!!!!!!!

just put my car in for its MOT. sat at home now waiting for the phone call. god i hate this waiting LOL
    did it pass or not

returning after getting lost
    Thanks
    good luck mate im sure it will if it dont itll only be somink silly prob im living bk in stevenage now so if you need a hand doing anything gimmie a shout

This user has no status

Thanks
    It'll pass no problems!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    it bloooody failed god dam it.

it failed on a split cv boot that has leaked grease on the front brake disc causing uneven wear.

luckily i have brand new mintex drilled and grooved dics and pads in my kichen for it.

gota take it back 2mora and they gona charge me bout £110 to suply and change the boot and to fit my brakes for me. then the retest is free.

it cant be the any wors timing my wife is already 4 days late on her due day to give birth and my mot runs out 2mora. and now having to spend our food shopping money for this week on fixing the car. also as i took this week off work for birth i ant got any wages next week. this is a seriously bad month
    Last edited by stainesy; Monday 10th November 2008 at 16:13.

Gizza job!
    Thanks
    I'm not having a pop here, honest , but you can take the car for it's test from 4 weeks before the expiry of the current MOT.

Mine expires 2nd Dec and I took it for it's test today - my plan being that if it failed I still had 3 weeks to sort it. (it passed BTW)

Leaving it til the day before is just asking for grief IMHO. Sorry.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Yosser For This Useful Post:

pangster (Monday 10th November 2008)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    shoulda paid more attention to that kinda stuff than doing up your engine bay !!
    Bit of a disaster but i am sure you wont make this mistake again, surprised you didnt notice a difference in the brakes with grease on them ?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Yosser View Post
    I'm not having a pop here, honest , but you can take the car for it's test from 4 weeks before the expiry of the current MOT.

Mine expires 2nd Dec and I took it for it's test today - my plan being that if it failed I still had 3 weeks to sort it. (it passed BTW)

Leaving it til the day before is just asking for grief IMHO. Sorry.
    Is that so? I thought even if it failed the test 2 weeks before it expired, its still failed and thus illegal to drive even though the current MOT is still a PASS and has not expired but the new MOT it failed, which is recorded thus the car has no MOT?
    Last edited by BruceT; Monday 10th November 2008 at 16:53.

This user has no status
    Thanks

mot

think yourself lucky there fella, mine went in last week and failed on - 2 new front discs, c/v joint boot, and wishbone o/side, plus a directional tyre on the wrong way around.....
    because i was ill i couldn't even source the parts myself, so the garage did it instead, costing a chilly £275 including the price of m.o.t. cert, this is the first of the 6 volvo's i have owned that has cost me more than a tenner above the m.o.t.price.........
    but in honesty the old girl is worth it to me,152000 mile but still runs great and costs me 49.9p per litre for fuel (lpg) so i am happy.....

Gizza job!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceT View Post
    Is that so? I thought even if it failed the test 2 weeks before it expired, its still failed and thus illegal to drive even though the current MOT is still a PASS and has not expired but the new MOT it failed, which is recorded thus the car has no MOT?
    I don't *think* you're totally right there, but I'm sure one of our resident MOT testers will be along shortly to put us straight.

My understanding is that the current certificate will remain current and in force. If you present a car in an unroadworthy (i.e. dangerous) condition then I guess they might have greater power to reqiure the vehicle to be kept off the road - but your car shouldn't be unroadworthy anyway.

edited to add:

This isn't a definitive answer, but there is a good discussion about this in this thread here:

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/po...ex.htm?t=66503
    Last edited by Yosser; Monday 10th November 2008 at 17:11. Reason: added link to Honest John

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Yosser For This Useful Post:

pangster (Monday 10th November 2008)

This user has no status

Thanks
    if your car fails before the current mot certificate runs out the failiure invalidates the current mot...

the current 1 months mot is so you can have upto 13 months mot
    http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2552&dateline=1218822  313
    She may not be perfect but i love her anyway....

13. The Following User Says Thank You to PNuT For This Useful Post:

BruceT (Monday 10th November 2008)

Gizza job!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PNuT View Post
    if your car fails before the current mot certificate runs out the failiure invalidates the current mot...
    Could you point me to where you get that information from please?

This user has no status

Thanks
    Could you point me to where you get that information from please?
    just contact vosa & ask them if its ok to knowingly drive round in a defective vehicle..... the faliure notice will be loged on the national database & show up on the anpr system....
    http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2552&dateline=1218822  313

Gizza job!
    Thanks
    just contact vosa & ask them if its ok to knowingly drive round in a defective vehicle..... the faliure notice will be loged on the national database & show up on the anpr system....
    Nobody is suggesting that it's ok to drive around in a defective vehicle, I don't rely on a once a year test to determine whether my vehicle is roadworthy or not.

What I'm questioning is whether the failure to pass an inspection within the 4 week period automatically cancels the existing certificate.

I don't think it does.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    These things could've easily been checked before taking it for the MOT, hindsight is a marvellous thing lol,

Gary
    V40 2.0T Sport Lux Titanium grey,(03) 133k,standard
    Yamaha R1 5VY,(06) 180bhp/165whp,100nm

This user has no status

Thanks
    This isn't a definitive answer, but there is a good discussion about this in this thread here:

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/po...ex.htm?t=66503
    http://www.mottest.net/mot/mot-failure-question/

they use an example of a tyre.....not a very good example in my opinion!

say it failed on emissions & you replaced the cat yourself.... does that mean its working correctly? & make it legal? the emmisions failed the test, not the part

19. The Following User Says Thank You to PNuT For This Useful Post:

Yosser (Monday 10th November 2008)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Nobody is suggesting that it's ok to drive around in a defective vehicle, I don't rely on a once a year test to determine whether my vehicle is roadworthy or not.

What I'm questioning is whether the failure to pass an inspection within the 4 week period automatically cancels the existing certificate.

I don't think it does.
    maybe the moters at work lied to me.....

Gizza job!
    Thanks
    http://www.mottest.net/mot/mot-failure-question/

they use an example of a tyre.....not a very good example in my opinion!
    Thanks for that link, I think it does answer the question.

It states "the old MOT is still valid until its expiry date, thus you can then drive your car again and get it retested to your timescale, with out worrying about driving without an MOT" - which was my point exactly.

If your vehicle is unroadworthy then it is unroadworthy no matter whether it has just failed/passed an MOT test or whatever.

Thats why people shouldn't rely on the test as their only means of checking the roadworthiness (sp?) of their vehicle. Unfortunately that is what the vast majority of people do.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanks for that link, I think it does answer the question.
    it appears to be a very grey area! which is about right for vosa! they are the same with tachograph laws & different parts of the country will give you different answers!

the problem is its saying you can replace the defective part & deem the car safe.... so a qualified tester says its unfit & any tom dick & harry can say its safe.....

This user has no status
    Thanks
    well tbh i went over my car from front to back and didnt find anything rong. the cv boot that has aparently split is a brand new one that was fitted with the cv joint a few months ago so i didnt think it would have a problem there. also the brakes are fine and brake in a strait line perfectly. the rest of the car is perfect.

so basicly its just a split cv boot that is 3 months old that need replacing.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Read the back of your red faliure notice. I have a scan of one somewhere

Thread Information