Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

19t......new con rods???

hi guys im not new to this forum but since that last problem i never got round to registering again. Im very interested in fitting the 19t to my t5r but im curious on the con rods. some people say the engine will be fine but others say its a bit tight to the failure point. how much do you think i wll cost to fit these. i am i talks with russ at rt mechanics but hes yet to get back to me. very busy guy. i know this will be ample performance for me as i feel the rica 304 wont cut it so im just a bit sceptical on whether to have con rods fitted or not.

any advice would be great

cheers tempo

This user has no status
    Thanks
    What sort of power are you looking for?

Back on the road with 6 gears...........!

This user has no status

Thanks
    well i hear a lot of ppl say 300whp is achievable so somewhere around that would be great.

cheers tempo

This user has no status

Thanks
    19t's turbos fitted to 850's are nothing new, many have fitted them with standard rods and have seen good power figures! my 850 had a 19t turbo, rica custom map and ran about 17-18psi which is about the limit.

the car had also done 10000 hard miles with the work done and yet it still ran fine.

i read on VS that you can bend rods on an 850 with a smaller turbo if its too aggressive on the power delivery! i.e a badly mapped car.

in an ideal world some forged rods should be fitted along with some green or blue injectors and a 3 inch d/p to get the best from a 19t IMHO

This user has no status

Thanks
    i do plan on new injectors etc but as i wont be going any further than the 19t im not sure its worth doing really. i have heard about the 19t being safer for my engine than running the 15g on a rica re map. how true is this?? im also getting a manual box fitted by rt mechanics so that wont be a problem either

cheers tempo

OH DEAR
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 2,752 Posts
    personally if you have the money i would go with the forged rods then you know that that is one thing lees to do and will give you peace of mind

This user has no status

Thanks
    not necessary but a good idea is how i'd put it. i'm running an 18T on the standard rods, been to marham(airfield track) and to the nurburgring with no problems so far.

from what i've read it does depend on the map, apparently you want something that brings the boost in quite smooth.

like said above though if you have the money to get them fitted go for it, it will allow you to be more aggressive with the map and not worry.

i expect i'll have to get them at some point myself.

This user has no status

Thanks
    i think the rule of thumb for most GOOD tuners is 1.4bar of boost on stock rods, so with that in mind a good quality EBC such as an apexi avcr to control the boost delivery might be a good idea???

you do want lots of torque from the car as this makes it drivable but you dont want too much boost lower down the rev range i.e below 3000rpm as this is the point of rod failure.

another thing thats overlooked is that the standard 850bcs doesnt cope too well controlling a 19t, its deemed by some people by responding too slowly at reacting and this can cause severe boost spikes to over 20psi which is lethal on an 850!

alot of people disagree with using alternative methods of controlling boost on t5's but when my stock 1 year old bcs was playing up on my 850 i replaced it with a good quality MBC and set it to 17-18psi, it cured all my spiking problems and made the car drive much better.

thing is its best to be safe than sorry! id rather loose 10-15bhp in the hope that the car will last.

260-270 real whp is plenty in an 850!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bonelorry For This Useful Post:

BruceT (Monday 3rd November 2008)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Totaly agree with all said in previous replies...If you have the money do the rods and get the best from the 19T...its worth it..come to the special dyno day at powerstation in tewkesbury on 22nd nov and see what they and other turbos /maps are running...

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cgrextreme View Post
    i think the rule of thumb for most GOOD tuners is 1.4bar of boost on stock rods, so with that in mind a good quality EBC such as an apexi avcr to control the boost delivery might be a good idea???

you do want lots of torque from the car as this makes it drivable but you dont want too much boost lower down the rev range i.e below 3000rpm as this is the point of rod failure.

another thing thats overlooked is that the standard 850bcs doesnt cope too well controlling a 19t, its deemed by some people by responding too slowly at reacting and this can cause severe boost spikes to over 20psi which is lethal on an 850!

alot of people disagree with using alternative methods of controlling boost on t5's but when my stock 1 year old bcs was playing up on my 850 i replaced it with a good quality MBC and set it to 17-18psi, it cured all my spiking problems and made the car drive much better.

thing is its best to be safe than sorry! id rather loose 10-15bhp in the hope that the car will last.

260-270 real whp is plenty in an 850!
    its fairly easy to run an mbc in parallel to control unwanted boost spikes
    http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2552&dateline=1218822  313
    She may not be perfect but i love her anyway....

This user has no status

Thanks
    cant do that date sorry. im on a stag do!!! how much does it usually cost to get the rods done then? because i realise if i bend the standard rods itl probably cost more to fix the engine than if id have upgraded the rods in the first place.

has any1 compared the rica 304 to the 19t set up on their car?
    i cant seem to find any comparissons using the search

cheers tempo

Glad im Back -D
    Thanks
    These rods are £325 + Postage, then theres labour on top

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Conrod-Volvo-8...713.m153.l1262

Lee

1998 C70 T5 GT Auto, 68k, FVSH, Immaculate inside and out, only mod - poly top mount, its Yellow and no pete i didnt paint it, lol

This user has no status

Thanks
    they seem a good price. how many hours labour does it take to fit these? my gut feeling is telling me to fit them now. dont want a broken engine.

cheers for the help guys

tempo

OH DEAR
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 2,752 Posts
    its a big job so there will be a few hrs labour they can do it with the block in i think which they will have to remove the head and sump also there will be a new timing belt needed also if your going to have it done i would have a new serpantine belt and if not all ready done a new breather system i would have a geuss but at a garage it will prob be around 2-3days labour (its all them tea breaks) but if you have the money i would deff go for it and its one less thing to worrie about also new timing+serpantine belt would have been done

Thread Information