Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

Question S60 D5 - Towbar Advice

hi folks,

I have an 05 S60 and I need to get a towbar. I have a sport bumper and this comes further down than the standard rear bumper. I really don't want to cut the bumper!!

Are there any easily detatchable towbars available?

Also I'm sure I've seen pics of a towbar that has a black plastic cover that clips over itwhen not in use? But I'm not sure where to find one of these or if it would fit my bumper????

Thanks for any advice folks

This user has no status

Thanks
    Heres a picture of my rear bumper

has no status...
    Thanks
    Hi JGrant

Thats a nice bumper you have there, i hate to say it but i cant see how they could fit a towbar without cutting it. I have a detachable towbar on my V70 which i dont have any pictures of to hand although i dont think it would help you out anyway. I have just gone to take a picture of my towsure towbar on my D5, i'm sure that you know that the ball has to be installed at a predetermined height :\

2001 V70 T5 - Auto, Dark Anthracite Comets, Volvo Window blinds, ITG Panel filter, Strut bar solid bushes with powerflex top mount

Must update my sigpic ...the S60 lemon went a while ago.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to richiemat For This Useful Post:

MileMuncher (Monday 3rd November 2008)

This user has no status

Thanks
    thanks Richie!!

ive been searching on the net and i didnt think that it would be that hard to get hold of a towbar for the S60.

Ive still got the original (lower half) of the bumper too, as i fitted the one shown afterwards.

Ideally i dont want to have to drive round with a towbar on all of the time, i'm only going to need the towbar in the summer (going to France with a caravan). I wouldnt mind having one of them detachable ones with the cover that clips on when not in use, but then again i dont want to have to cut the bumper.

I wouldnt mind cutting the standard bumper in order for the towbar to fit, but i'm having trouble finding info on towbars for the S60, everything seems to be V70 related.

Would it be worth going to the stealers for a towbar or are there any good aftermarket ones?

Also how do the detatch ones work? what happens to the plug etc when you disconnect the towbar?

Thanks for any help

This user has no status

Thanks

Looks like cutting the bumper is a must then!!!

i want to try to keep the car looking sporty when not towing. And obviously i dont want to have to remove the WHOLE bumper everytime to detatch the towbar (dont mind changing the lower of the bumper).

is it best to go to the dealers really? Problem is my nearest dealer (where i work - Stratstone Preston) are pretty £££££e!!

i would like something that is easily removable when not in use....(the other 49 weeks of the year)

has no status...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JGrant1285 View Post
    thanks Richie!!

Would it be worth going to the stealers for a towbar or are there any good aftermarket ones?

Also how do the detatch ones work? what happens to the plug etc when you disconnect the towbar?

Thanks for any help
    I'll get some pics of my removable towbar on my V70 and post them up so you can see.

Quote Originally Posted by JGrant1285 View Post

Looks like cutting the bumper is a must then!!!

i want to try to keep the car looking sporty when not towing. And obviously i dont want to have to remove the WHOLE bumper everytime to detatch the towbar (dont mind changing the lower of the bumper).

is it best to go to the dealers really? Problem is my nearest dealer (where i work - Stratstone Preston) are pretty £££££e!!

i would like something that is easily removable when not in use....(the other 49 weeks of the year)

They definately havent cut the rear bumper on mine with the 'towsure' towbar

I don't know what the cost is of the Volvo removable towbar is, but it is really neat and tidy. The V70 has a cover which slots into the removable towbar when not in use and moulds nicely into the bumper, not sure if it is a similar arrangement for the S60 though.

It's a nice idea to have the option of removing the lower half of the bumper though, would the top half of your bumper be secure enough to leave on whilst towing?

2001 V70 T5 - Auto, Dark Anthracite Comets, Volvo Window blinds, ITG Panel filter, Strut bar solid bushes with powerflex top mount

No replacement for
    displacement!
    Thanks
    I remember being pleased with the price of my genuine detachable tow bar for my V70, it was around the same price as an aftermarket.

The tow bar cover had to be cut to fit the contour of my rear bumper with a Stanley knife and a bumper cut was necessary.

There was a choice of tow bar length as the lower cars need a longer swan neck.

If it is only being used once a year I would just swop your rear bumper when you want to tow- its easy enough to take off, only slight irritation are parking sensors if you have them fitted.

Genuine Volvo electrics are plug and play no fiddly wiring- however you will need a software update to turn off the cars rear fog when something is being towed (if you can be bothered).

Rufe is your best bet for a discounted quote, send him a PM.

Andy

returning after getting lost
    Thanks
    you cant get the detatch ones for the but witter do a kit that will convert their fixed ball into a detach but it has to be a witter tow bracket

http://www.autow.co.uk/towbars/detachable_quantum.aspx

has no status...
    Thanks
    JGrant

Pics attached to show the V70 removeable arrangement. The rounded cap clips on to the stub of the towbar and is quite secure (so secure that this morning part of the cover remained on the stub which you will see in the picture) and the swans neck/towbar clips and locks on. As you can see from the other photo it is all concealed on the V70 by the cover.

It might well all fit in behind your S60 bumper but it would be best to take it into a dealer and let them take some measurements just to make sure

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by richiemat View Post
    JGrant

Pics attached to show the V70 removeable arrangement. The rounded cap clips on to the stub of the towbar and is quite secure (so secure that this morning part of the cover remained on the stub which you will see in the picture) and the swans neck/towbar clips and locks on. As you can see from the other photo it is all concealed on the V70 by the cover.

It might well all fit in behind your S60 bumper but it would be best to take it into a dealer and let them take some measurements just to make sure

Cheers for taking the time for that Richie!!

I'm very wary of going to the dealer, they dont seem to know their @rse from their elbow!!!

i might just pop down and see what they come up with. The sport bumper i have is very different shape to the standard one, so i dont think that it will fit at all!!!

if i just put the standard lower valance back on for towing, before i can put my sport lower back on, i'm going to have to remove the whole towbar!!

What a pain in the @rse!!??

Also the traction control isnt working - would prolly be best to get that sorted too before i start towing

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Hiya.

Try talking to Atlas Towbars/P F Jones in Manchester. They should be able to fix you up with a towbar with a detachable hitch. They'll tell you if they need to cut the bumper and supply you with a cover which you could have colour matched - or you could order the Volvo cover from Rybrook in Warrington or Rufe. I know they will be able to hook up to the multiplex electrics in the car so your towbar function correctly. They supply top quality towbars by Bosal or Westfalia which hook up to the manufacturers original mounting points.

http://www.pfjones.co.uk

ps I don't work for them but they come highly recommended and they're less than an hour away from you.

Thread Information