Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

Changing standard radio?

I'm going to be changing my standard radio in my 850R soon, the car has a cd changer in the boot which I'd like to keep,
    I've read that as the cd changer is alpine that I'd need to get an alpine headunit, is this so?
    I also read that I'll lose the factory amp in the car, so will the new headunit have enough power to keep a decent level of quality through my speakers? (I'll probably be getting a 4x50w unit)
    Thanks in advance, any suggestion's on a specific headunit to get?

OH DEAR
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 2,752 Posts
    you can buy an adapter for the cd changer to work with sony i think i have a sony head unit and i think the sound has improved

This user has no status

Thanks
    You may have a few problems with the changer in the boot which should be alpine as you have said.

I fitted a Alpine CHM-S630 changer to my Volvo and the protocol (to the standard head) is different so you need the Vola2 adaptor box which works great. I would not think that would work the other way though.

The other problem is that the Alpine control bus has changed since our cars were new.

The older system is M-bus, this is what you would need probably with an adaptor if it is going to work. the new ones though are Ai-net which definitely will not work. The way the Alpine model designations work is CDE is "economy" and have no changer bus CDA is Ai Net and CDM is M-Bus.

Because of all this I went for a high end Alpine unit and just play MP3, You can then have approx 7 albums on each disc (@320kbs) then if you get the genuine volvo 8 disc CD holder from Rufe that is about £20 ish then you will no longer need a CD changer. As you will have a truck load of music in your dash.

By the way if you buy a new head unit check out Sextonsdirect website. They were £70 cheaper than list price on the unit I bought and the service was excellent.

I hope that helps
    Jon

1996 850 T5

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon K For This Useful Post:

mark_eire (Sunday 14th December 2008)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    another few options

usb hard drive into headunit

or sony do what called megadisc or gigadisc (can't B bother 2 google)
    takes a single MP3 DVD 4.4gig! on a dvdr disc (9p a disc!)
    Silver '98 non ME7 C70 T5 GT longlife 100cell cat and zorst
    Obsidian S80 T6 SE '01
    mixed use of 16,17,18" Tritons,19" BK.

Thread Information