Join Today

Thread: ABS ECU removal

This user has no status
    Thanks

ABS ECU removal

Is removing the ABS ECU from my 850 as easy as the Haynes manual says? Disconnect the wiring & remove the 3 bolts securing the ECU, is it that simple?
    .....sooper moose. '97 850R manual. Yum yum.

This user has no status

Thanks

Thumbs up ABS ECU removal

Quote Originally Posted by Niles View Post
    Is removing the ABS ECU from my 850 as easy as the Haynes manual says? Disconnect the wiring & remove the 3 bolts securing the ECU, is it that simple?
    It is, removed mine when I first got my S70, I think its the same as yours, common fault on these, plenty of people do repairs now as well, the car will run fine without it, but obviously you will have no ABS and your speedo will be inop.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to John For This Useful Post:

Niles (Friday 31st October 2008)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanks, so its just a case of remake the solders? My abs lite comes on when i press the 'loud' pedal, just tippy toeing around & the light stays out.
    .....sooper moose. '97 850R manual. Yum yum.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Unplug the multi pin scart like connector and also the power supply.

There are four bolts and you will need a E5 torx sockets (1/4 inch drive) to get them off. Do not be tempted to use anything else to remove them as you'll have an awful job with a stripped head particularly for the 2 bolts you can't see - its all done by touch anyway for those ones....

To be honest you are as well for all the hassle cutting open and soldering getting someone do this for you.

Balls it up (cutting open the case / soldering) and you'll be landed with a big bill for another one.

HLM will do an exchange .

I did mine last week with them and it could not have been simpler.

Call Hamish.
    Volvo 855 2.5 10v CD

Its got everything except a turbo - boo hoo...

This user has no status

Thanks

Smile

Thanks, so its just a case of remake the solders? My abs lite comes on when i press the 'loud' pedal, just tippy toeing around & the light stays out.
    here's a link on how to remove/re-solder your abs

http://www.freewebs.com/dacvolvo/absrepair.htm.

This user has no status

Thanks
    850s had two different abs systems fitted.....
    http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2552&dateline=1218822  313
    She may not be perfect but i love her anyway....

This user has no status
    Thanks
    4mm socket does the job.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I would expect the sensor on your servo to be the cause of this, check the connections....
    Cheers
    Jod
    855 rica 304bhp, Adjusted Wastegate, Bleed Valve, ITG Panel Filter, 171k fsh, Volvo Strutt Brace, Polybush Topmount , 4mm Samco Vacuum Hoses, 10 Core "Racing" Ht Leads, 302mm Volvo Discs under 16" Columba Alloys, Performance DS2500 Fronts Red Stuff Rears, Drillled Airbox, 5w/40 Oil Changed @ 5k intervals,

764 B230ET 108k FVSH No mods yet...Planning underway.....

Dum Spiro Spero

VOC 850/70 Register Keeper
    VOC 20419

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stevie69 View Post
    4mm socket does the job.
    At your own risk, the correct socket is a E5 Female torx, a 4mm may well round the heads leaving you in a right pickle....Seen it....
    Cheers
    Jod
    855 rica 304bhp, Adjusted Wastegate, Bleed Valve, ITG Panel Filter, 171k fsh, Volvo Strutt Brace, Polybush Topmount , 4mm Samco Vacuum Hoses, 10 Core "Racing" Ht Leads, 302mm Volvo Discs under 16" Columba Alloys, Performance DS2500 Fronts Red Stuff Rears, Drillled Airbox, 5w/40 Oil Changed @ 5k intervals,

Dum Spiro Spero

VOC 20419

Glad im Back -D
    Thanks
    Just hope its not the earlier set up, ( ECU on top of the pump ) I could not find an ecu in this country i had to go stateside

Lee

Quote Originally Posted by PNuT View Post
    850s had two different abs systems fitted.....

1998 C70 T5 GT Auto, 68k, FVSH, Immaculate inside and out, only mod - poly top mount, its Yellow and no pete i didnt paint it, lol

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    Just hope its not the earlier set up, ( ECU on top of the pump ) I could not find an ecu in this country i had to go stateside Lee
    Sounds a 'mare...I always beleived there were a few phase 1 ecm's about because generally they were considered more reliable than the phase 2, teves units....
    Cheers
    Jod

Dum Spiro Spero

VOC 20419

Glad im Back -D
    Thanks
    Hey Jod

I tried for 2 months to find a Tracs Pump and ecu in this country that was not extortionatelly priced i.e. £250 + for a unit that hadnt even been refurbed !

I found 2 Tracs Pumps and Ecu's in America 1 for myself to use and one to sell, i payed £60 for my one and £35 for the one i sold on, I advertised it on ebay for £150 and some guy snapped my hand off

There are loads of Non Tracs pumps and ecu's knocking about though

Just a Tracs Ecu From the states is going for good money now.......http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VOLVO...mZ190252916295

Lee

1998 C70 T5 GT Auto, 68k, FVSH, Immaculate inside and out, only mod - poly top mount, its Yellow and no pete i didnt paint it, lol

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Hey Jod I tried for 2 months to find a Tracs Pump and ecu in this country that was not extortionatelly priced i.e. £250 + for a unit that hadnt even been refurbed ! I found 2 Tracs Pumps and Ecu's in America 1 for myself to use and one to sell, i payed £60 for my one and £35 for the one i sold on, I advertised it on ebay for £150 and some guy snapped my hand off There are loads of Non Tracs pumps and ecu's knocking about though Just a Tracs Ecu From the states is going for good money now.......http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VOLVO...mZ190252916295 Lee
    As i said.., a nightmare for you, do you by any chance know the part numbers for the tracs and non tracs ECM's?....
    Cheers
    Jod

Dum Spiro Spero

VOC 20419

Glad im Back -D
    Thanks
    Hey Jod i think the non Tracs ECM is Ate Part No 9401541 and has a white label on it, the Tracs ECM is Ate part No 9401542 and has a blue label on it.

HTH

Lee

16. The Following User Says Thank You to cameron For This Useful Post:

Jod T5 (Wednesday 5th November 2008)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Hey Jod i think the non Tracs ECM is Ate Part No 9401541 and has a white label on it, the Tracs ECM is Ate part No 9401542 and has a blue label on it.

HTH

Lee

Thanks Lee
    Appreciated...
    Cheers
    Jod

Dum Spiro Spero

VOC 20419

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Jod T5 For This Useful Post:

cameron (Wednesday 5th November 2008)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    well i was gonna do mine today but its p1ssin it down so this is gonna have to wait lolol

Thread Information