Join Today

Thread: Lpg

This user has no status
    Thanks

Lpg

Hi,

Does anyone run LPG on an S60 T5 or R or the same engine as that.
    I am going to be looking for another volvo shortly and wondering if LPG on one is the way to go?
    I enquired and got;

"The S60 turbos can suffer from valve recession when converted to gas. There are various valve lube systems on the market which will help prevent this problem."

Are the LPG systems fatory fitted by volvo done on a standard engine or one fitted with hardened valves and seats?

Cheers all
    Chris

cruising along on the crest of
    a 70...

Thanks
    Fit a flashlube and stop worrying about it, They are ~£50 fitted and cost sod all to run ~£10 of lube lasts an age as it drips at 1-2 drops a minute.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    That only reducues the rate at which it recession occurs, no good if I'm going to keep the car for a long time.

in dilema near ilford
    Thanks

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by chris_bobuk View Post
    Hi,

Does anyone run LPG on an S60 T5 or R or the same engine as that.
    I am going to be looking for another volvo shortly and wondering if LPG on one is the way to go?
    I enquired and got;

"The S60 turbos can suffer from valve recession when converted to gas. There are various valve lube systems on the market which will help prevent this problem."

Are the LPG systems fatory fitted by volvo done on a standard engine or one fitted with hardened valves and seats?

Cheers all
    Chris
    Have run a 95 850 t5 for over 12 months and 30,000 if thats any help, no hitches at all

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Cheers for that, the new S60 are the 2.5 engine not sure how this differs to the 2.3 though.
    I may end up running it on pertrol or may need to look at diesels again

This user has no status

Thanks
    The proviso is that the LPG system is both suited to the car, and setup AND maintained correctly. They do need servicing periodically which many don't consider.

I regularly see a V90 3.0 which has just over 300k on the clock, 180k of which has been on gas. Ok, it is not a turbo engine, but there is no flashlube either and it has no sign of loss of compression or VSR, nor does it use any appreciable oil.

I would recommend fitting a flashlube kit running, and using either the flashlube 'lube' or ATF. Set correctly and you will be fine for 100k+.

Unless you habitually run flat out on the autobahn the valve seats will last longer than you do!!

PS give www.go-lpg.co.uk a call, they are renown for expertise with turbo-charged conversions, especially volvo's. (I am not connected with them at all)

Tim..

Tim..
    Last edited by timbo_1975; Tuesday 28th October 2008 at 22:35.

Thread Information