Join Today

Thread: scan tool

This user has no status

Thanks

scan tool

just got a scan tec tool elm327 for me s70r 1998 how dose it work i put the disc in loaded it up and tryed it in the car it came up unable to read dievce me and pc do nt go at all lol

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Those units are known to be poor devices to use. I have one and haven't found a car it works on yet. You can buy the genuine elmscan 5 unit and that will work but the cheap copies from Hong Kong are very poor.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I got mine on Pistonheads in the for sale ads, the guy lives and works in Camberley Surrey,
    I also noticed it hardly works on a Volvo 98 4.4 but works well on the ME7 or above,

Gary.
    V40 2.0T Sport Lux Titanium grey,(03) 133k,standard
    Yamaha R1 5VY,(06) 180bhp/165whp,100nm

This user has no status

Thanks
    chears were would i find a elm5 unit many thanks

Singing in the rain!
    Thanks
    I had to install something called a "port emulator" (Ithink) for the elmscan327 to connect to a renault, but it won't connect to my volvo as it is a different protocol! not sure about yours tho'
    "I am never wrong! Just in a position to learn something new!"
    Mods so far, HLM ReMap, Goodridge brake lines, Eibach springs lowering 35mm, K&N57i filter with cold air, Strut brace, Shark fin aerial, Boost guage
    YES IT'S A DIESEL
    Wish list, BOV, 18" rims, Struts, Stainless exhaust, Injector Upgrade, MORE POWER!

This user has no status

Thanks
    It works on the Motronic 4.4 engines (mine's a '98 2.5 LPT and it works fine). I've also used it successfully on an Accord too.

I got a nice cheap one from Ebay and am just using the free Scantool.net program on Windows or Linux.

Be aware that the device almost certainly needs power from the car to work properly, so plug it into the OBDII socket and turn the key to the last-but-one position first to be sure it has it.

You need to install the drivers for the device which should have come with it - Windows should spot that you've plugged in the device and ask for drivers.

After you've got that done, it should show up in Device Manager as a USB COM port (mine comes up as com7 on Windows).

Start scantool.net, choose the correct com port and set the speed right down at the slowest available to begin with, and you should then be able to read or clear codes. Of course, it can only deal with Engine codes, not gearbox/body electrics etc...

Thread Information