Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    This user has no status

Thanks

Question Am i being taken for a ride (sorry)

On a recent visit to me local volvo garage, i gave them my car for a quick once over to see if everything was running ok. Not being car mechanically minded (more motorbikes to a point), i was confronted with a "TO DO" list on things that were supposedly wrong with the car (hoses have been dealt with in another forum on this site). Now, for a car with a Full service history with loads of bills when bought (mainly Volvo main dealers), i was taken aback with a advisor that the rear crankshaft oil seal needs replacing as it is leaking. Now, i'm not mechnic (as said before), but i have had the car on ramps and had a look underneath, and i see no leaks, misting spray or anything else that would lead them to this conclusion, or i'm i missing something. Is there a spy window enabling them to see this seal (as i am being quoted close to £600 for them to do this. (Car only cost me £950). Don't get me wrong, i know things go wrong with performance car's, especially 12 year old ones and i don't mind paying for things that need doing, but this seems wrong. Any advice???

This user has no status

Thanks
    The cars a 1996 Volvo 850 T5 CD estate it this helps with approx 94,000m on

OH DEAR
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 2,752 Posts
    There should be a sign of a oil leak have a look on your timing and serpantine belt to see if theres any oil on them.
    What condition is your car in because thats quite cheap for a cd spec and low milage

Trader
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    There is no access hole or window,rear seal failure is diagnosed by oil leaking from between the engine and gearbox mating faces at the bottom,underneath the car.If it has gone badly enough to be visible then i would expect you to have noticed the car needing topping up more regularly,unless it has only just started to weep.Turbo return pipes often leak at the o ring and can be mis-diagnosed when oil has spread everywhere.The repair price does seem steep,the part is not too expensive and labour should be about £250-£300.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    i need to top my oil up every month with a 1 litre bottle but oil light has never come on and it only goes down abit. but i do have loads of oil on the bottom of my engine. but looks like old oil. could i have an oil leak?
    sorry to piggyback your thread

Glad im Back -D
    Thanks
    Sounds like the O ring on the turbo return pipe as Readview pointed out before, i to was going through oil like nobodys business and it was plastered all over the bottom of the engine.

Adam kindly pointed it out and i got the parts ordered.

£3.50 all in for the O ring and the top gasket off Rufe, 2 x 10mm bolts at the top of the pipe and 10 minutes to change the seals over, i done mine the other day. PM Rufe and he'll sort you out.
    Last edited by cameron; Monday 6th October 2008 at 21:49.

1998 C70 T5 GT Auto, 68k, FVSH, Immaculate inside and out, only mod - poly top mount, its Yellow and no pete i didnt paint it, lol

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by t5 pete View Post
    There should be a sign of a oil leak have a look on your timing and serpantine belt to see if theres any oil on them.
    What condition is your car in because thats quite cheap for a cd spec and low milage
    Car is in really good nick. Was advertised when i bought it for £1150 but was able to knock him down because of the drivers side cv joint boot had split and sprayed the grease up the inside of the wheel arch (cv was fine, £12 for the cv boot). Previous owner had dogs so dog hair was everywhere. Just gave it a good valet and looks like new. A few minor scraps to the bumpers but mothing too bad.
    Timing belt looks fine

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by readview View Post
    There is no access hole or window,rear seal failure is diagnosed by oil leaking from between the engine and gearbox mating faces at the bottom,underneath the car.If it has gone badly enough to be visible then i would expect you to have noticed the car needing topping up more regularly,unless it has only just started to weep.Turbo return pipes often leak at the o ring and can be mis-diagnosed when oil has spread everywhere.The repair price does seem steep,the part is not too expensive and labour should be about £250-£300.
    No oil to be seen anywhere. The underside of the car is basically spotless. Also, the oil level is fine, not needed to top it up. The gear changes are smooth

This user has no status

Thanks

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by stainesy View Post
    i need to top my oil up every month with a 1 litre bottle but oil light has never come on and it only goes down abit. but i do have loads of oil on the bottom of my engine. but looks like old oil. could i have an oil leak?
    No worries

Glad im Back -D
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by t5 pete View Post
    Hi pete i had a 96 T5 CD with 7 seats, it was immaculate, i bought that for £800 @ it had only done 100k

piccy in this thread, http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthre...t=16856&page=2 post No 21

1998 C70 T5 GT Auto, 68k, FVSH, Immaculate inside and out, only mod - poly top mount, its Yellow and no pete i didnt paint it, lol

Trader
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    In that case it does sound like your garage is trying to create work(and expensive at that).If in doubt get a second opinion,if you are anywhere near us i'd be happy to check it out for you.(Accrington in Lancashire)
    Regards,Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Loz1 View Post
    No oil to be seen anywhere. The underside of the car is basically spotless. Also, the oil level is fine, not needed to top it up. The gear changes are smooth

Trader
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    It sounds like you certainly have an oil leak,you could either have it diagnosed and repaired or simply tell folk you have a progressive oil change system in place as you dont want to burr the edges on the sump bolt.

This user has no status

Thanks
    start the car, pull the dipstick out. if you're getting smoke out you need the pcv doing. driving the car like this for an extended time is when i've heard that the seal goes.

how they know the seal going though is beyond me.

but if you dont get smoke out the dipstick, surely the rear main seal is okay?

This user has no status

Thanks

Wink

what dont need seeing to on your car stainsy LOL

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Loz1 View Post
    On a recent visit to me local volvo garage, i gave them my car for a quick once over to see if everything was running ok. Not being car mechanically minded (more motorbikes to a point), i was confronted with a "TO DO" list on things that were supposedly wrong with the car (hoses have been dealt with in another forum on this site). Now, for a car with a Full service history with loads of bills when bought (mainly Volvo main dealers), i was taken aback with a advisor that the rear crankshaft oil seal needs replacing as it is leaking. Now, i'm not mechnic (as said before), but i have had the car on ramps and had a look underneath, and i see no leaks, misting spray or anything else that would lead them to this conclusion, or i'm i missing something. Is there a spy window enabling them to see this seal (as i am being quoted close to £600 for them to do this. (Car only cost me £950). Don't get me wrong, i know things go wrong with performance car's, especially 12 year old ones and i don't mind paying for things that need doing, but this seems wrong. Any advice???
    im fairly sure there is a tiny hole between the gearbox & engine face too diagnose leaks, when my clutch slave cylinder went hydralic fluid came out of mine....

if you have no oil coming from there then it aint gunna be your rear seal....
    http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2552&dateline=1218822  313
    She may not be perfect but i love her anyway....

This user has no status

Thanks
    best advice i could give is get a second opinion...good luck with it
    850 T5s,rica 304,k@n air filter,mach1 hand made exhaust,1.4bar,lowerd springs and shocks,poly bushed upper and lower,uprated lights,ferodo racing fcp's pads,limo black windows,oh ye and a towbar

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I think pNUT is correct. I have a small slot on the bottom of the autobox casting where it mates to the engine block. The slot is just about big enough to get a small flat blade screw driver in. If this is gummed up, dripping or wet with oil then you probably have crankshaft oil seal problems. I was told this by a mechanic when i was looking at 850's as this is common-ish problem on higher mileage 850. I have read many times that if you change to fully synthetic oil when the seals have been exposed to semi synthetic oil you can finish off worn out seals.
    Jez

C70 2.4T Manual

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowt5r View Post
    what dont need seeing to on your car stainsy LOL
    yes but is it all just in my head or is it real?

returning after getting lost
    Thanks
    most of its in ya head lol

This user has no status
    Thanks
    yes but is it all just in my head or is it real?
    Going by previous posts, its most definately real problems.

Thread Information