Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

Rehanging front near side door

On Tuesday morning at 2.00am I was woken by a noise in our front garden. We live in a bungalow and my T5 is parked outside our bedroom window. I pulled back the curtains to see three "hoodies" attempting to steal my car by forcing the passenger door handle. When you have spent as much time and money on a car as I have on this one all logical thought flies out the window and so after banging on the window and yelling "something",I paused only to grab an antique sword off the wall and was out through the front door. The three yobs had legged it up the road and around the corner. At this point my wife reminded me that a dressing gown might be a good idea as I don't wear much at night!

The net result on closer inspection in the morning was that they had not just punched the lock barrel out but had then tried to peel back the door skin to gain entry.

I got a replacement door which I completely stripped and is now being resprayed to the correct colour. My question is has anybody any tips on rehanging this door? I am a cabinetmaker by trade so know about hanging wooden doors. I have read the Haynes manual but as we all know its what they leave out that is important. In the past I have taken off and replaced the same door but never substituted another.

I did report it to the police who turned up within five minutes and a follow up visit yesterday to tell me that they had two other unsuccessful attempts reported in our area that night. (I didn't tell them about the antique sword!)

This user has no status

Thanks
    That's a **** thing to happen. We had all of our cars keyed recently, and the police were beyond disinterested until I said I thought I knew who'd done it and was going to go and see them and politely request the money back. Long story short, like me and somewhat ironically, you're more likely to spend time in jail for your actions than they will for theirs.

sorry, cant help you with your door.

Thread Information