Join Today

Thread: De-Badge

This user has no status
    Thanks

De-Badge

Does anyone know how the 'Volvo' '850' and 'T5' badges are fixed on to the tailgate? Would like to remove them, but don't want any holes left behind!
    MattB - yours is de-badged isn't it? Any tips?

This user has no status

Thanks
    They are stuck on I believe - both my T5's were de-badged but I have re-badge this one as i like folk to know what's just handed their ass to them LOL

x

This user has no status
    Thanks
    My quest for 'sleeper' status is more driven by local pikeys than anything else. Also, makes it easier to clean the back! Will have a little pick at them over the weekend I think. Ta!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nikgallagher
    Does anyone know how the 'Volvo' '850' and 'T5' badges are fixed on to the tailgate? Would like to remove them, but don't want any holes left behind!
    MattB - yours is de-badged isn't it? Any tips?

Hiya nik,

my car was de-badged when I got it - i too believe they are stuck on as apposed to screwed. I've just had a look at the boot and it appears it has been resprayed at some point - probably after de-badging?

I actually thought of rebadging it, as I do share Mrs m's oppinion - reckon that no badges keeps people guessing! but hen, i s'pose the www.T5... sticker in the window gives it away a bit?!

at work, we have a several renault vans. a couple of months ago, a group of 'jonnie clios' nicked the renault badges from the rears, which left black adhesive marks behind. rather than replace the badges, we removed the adhesive with a steam cleaner and then t-cut / polished the affected areas. it looked ok - but not perfect. however, not sure how I would go about it if I was doing it on my car.

sorry I cannot be of any more help nik - maybe someone else has any ideas?
    Last edited by MattB; Friday 29th April 2005 at 11:58.
    Wish I had a Volvo!

is car shopping!
    Thanks
    Usually the badges are just stuck on cars. The best way i've heard of removing them is by heating up the glue with something like a hairdryer. I've heard of people using paint stripping guns, but i wouldn't go anywhere near my car with one of them as it wouldn't take much to damage the paint!

Once the badge and glue is warm (again be carefull for the sake of the paint!) try peeling off the badges. They should leave a cleaner finish and reduce the risk of pulling off the paint!

This user has no status

Thanks
    The hairdrier method is the best way so it all goes soft as opposed to leaving it and trying to pick it off as the glue will be old and gets everywhere in sticky little bits. They try wiping the area clean with warm slightly sopy water, they give the area a wash as normal and a polish and see how it comes up.

If the cars a good few years old it will probably leave the badging visible on the paint as the rest of the paint will have faded a bit!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Cheers guys. The hairdryer trick sounds promising. It worked quite well for the interior stickers that were on the windows anyway. Am slightly worried about the silouette that may be left there though... Is it really worth it I ask myself...

This user has no status
    Thanks
    This is the same situation you get when vans are sold off that were signwritten previously. It is always possible to see where the stickers were removed.

Worst case scenario remove the T-5 badge. If the paint has faded it can always be reapplied. Tape for this can be purchased at most body shop factors as this is a regular job in the repair trade, (i.e. refit the original badges and charge for new).
    Martin

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"

280 RICA
    ITG Panel filter
    Volvo strut brace

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Good plan!

This user has no status

Thanks
    Heat the badge up with the hairdyer to soften the gluey stuff and then use a piece of electrical wire and slide it behind the badge and "saw" through the soft glue like a cheese cutter, use plastic coated wire of course so you don't scratch the paint.Then just pick of the remaining glue and polish it with Farecla G8 compound, or T-cut may do, then polish.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    hello,
    removed my badges using dental floss! then just picked away at the sticky sponge.
    using a hairdryer to get the sticky sponge off is a good idea though.
    paul.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Anyone tried WD40 to dissolve the glue?
    Works on more domestic sticky thingys.

My black T5 was de-badged (apart from "Volvo") when I had it - but am considering painting a T5 badge black and sticking that on.
    Last edited by Goof; Friday 29th April 2005 at 20:15.

Fun in the twisties!
    We take the "be polite" rule very seriously!

Pedro Fandango
    This user has no status
    WD40 is a nightmare if you get it on paint, takes a good wash & polish to remove the smearing it leaves

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Too right - but it does dissolve adhesive!

Fun in the twisties!
    We take the "be polite" rule very seriously!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    i heard using fishing wire and a heat gun on (warm!) is the way. I am a signmaker & we use glue removers etc all the time & they work spot on. If not as said you could always stick them back on

Mac

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Definatley stuck on. My dad bought his 850 estate in Nov. 2003, he had it 5 days and i had the fantastic idea of de-badging it for him, i got as far as removin the badges but the sticky glue/sponge stuff is still there today (oops)

i've thought about putting them back on for him but can never be bothered.

I think i should get out with the hairdryer though it's only been over a year!
    Vorspung Durch Technik

Lawnmower Boy
    Now known as WAPAHO!!!
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,733 Times in 1,162 Posts
    T-cut should work fine removing any remaining adheisive (wish I could spell)....

Took off my old Volvo-T5 and my Motech stickers off two mins with T-cut and there was no trace left...

Current Garage:
    1997 960 3.0L 24v - Polestar...(Honest guv..!!)
    1997 855 T5 S - stripped to 1300kgs gross weight - 14.2sec qtr(rank 17*)
    2001 V40 T4 SE - 14.199@100.15MPH - Hybrid Turbo/VXR injectors and DeCat(Rank 15*)
    *Data Sept 2013
    Any Stuff For Sale - check out my Ebay link

This user has no status
    Thanks

De badge

OK guys, heres the lowdown on badges. It is a good idea to remove them with the hairdryer and works well. We normally use Tar and Glue remover at work and a filler spreader, you know the plastic type supplied with plastic fillers. they are soft enough not to harm the bodywork but strong enough to get behind the badge and slice it off. The best method we have found for removing the glue that is left is a rubber wheel on a drill. At work we call them Caramel wheels from the smell they produce in use. They do leave a lot of rubber dust on the panel but this wipes off with an anti static cloth. I think they are available from the factors but have no idea what they call them. a word of warning though, DO NOT use them on fresh paint as it will burn it. It is part of my job at work to detrim cars and we remove badges, trims and the like on a daily basis. This is the easiest method of removal by far. Oh and by the way we don't charge for the badges we replace as we work for Ford anyway.

Thread Information