Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

Melted Piston!:(

Well for those of you that remember,i had my 850R go pop a couple of months ago & have only just had chance this weekend to strip it & assess the damage.As you can see from the pics sadly its pretty terminal i think,dont recon the emory paper will get that out....not happy! Now im not sure what im going to do with the poor thing,as it is its worthless but do i chuck another load of cash at it to follow the other 17K or just call it a day?!?

....is making a comeback
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    is that piston 3? very unlucky mate

Trader
    No Longer a trader.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,791 Posts
    Entirely up to you of course but if it where me I'd just by a second hand lump and throw it in. What sort of mods did the last engine have?
    http://www.airbrushartists.org/Gal72..._s_Gallery.asp

Currently rocking Volvo's finest V70R 2WD Manual

Previous cars:
    1996 855 T5 (Ex Police),1996 854 T5,1996 855 T5,1995 855 Black T-5R,1996 960,1997 855 R

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 2,643 Times in 1,928 Posts
    If you have already spent 17k you might as well spend the money needed to get it running again as it won't be worth anything as it is and getting a replacement could be an unknown entity...

So what in the world happend? Looks like it got very hot? Was it running lean on that cylinder or did the car overheat?

Gun Metal Grey - Volvo 850R - Saloon
    Thanks to Russ and team www.rtmechanics.co.uk

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thats wots left of piston 4.It looks like the top piston ring has broken & this is the end result,i have seen this before in race engines. It has had a few mods that inc fully ported head,matched manifolds,ME7 exhaust man,reverse IC,exhaust,intake system mods....bla bla bla...usual stuff really. Thing is i put a clutch in it 3k ago & its also just about shot,the LSD is almost ready for a change again & the big 14" disk brakes i run are starting to crack again so they also need doing....seems to be never ending as just before i blew her up id spent £400 on it putting a rad,full cam belt with pullys,water pump,tensioner,v-belt tensioner & idler. I no buying a second hand lump is a bit of a lottery but i'll have to just so i have a good block again to start with,mines to far gone i think.I'll have to see or i guess i could break it but it'l break my heart as soooo much has gone in to it these last couple of years

Some people hate to see you
    doing well. They are losers...
    Thanks
    Fix it..... get an engine, rebuild it, drop it in, take 6 months or a year if finances are tight, or yer a busy bloke. Imagine how good you're gonna feel when you turn that key and bring her back to life....

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dannt5 View Post
    Well for those of you that remember,i had my 850R go pop a couple of months ago & have only just had chance this weekend to strip it & assess the damage.As you can see from the pics sadly its pretty terminal i think,dont recon the emory paper will get that out....not happy! Now im not sure what im going to do with the poor thing,as it is its worthless but do i chuck another load of cash at it to follow the other 17K or just call it a day?!?
    Hi Dann

Its never nice to see a blown engine but you must keep going I guess the first thing is to find out what caused this problem,What spec and power was the engine and what management is it on ??

Good luck

Russ
    LOOK at our project :
    http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16301
    591 BHP 524 Ftlbs torque so far
    The Most Powerful T5 in the UK

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Hi Dann

Any news on your engine ?

Russ
    LOOK at our project :
    http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16301
    591 BHP 524 Ftlbs torque so far
    The Most Powerful T5 in the UK

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Hi Russ,it was running a superchipped ecu with a ported head,remus exhaust,K&N panel filter,ME7 manifold,reverse I/C n a few other bits.Gave 281bhp at wheels on the dyno running around 13psi boost using an mbc.To me it looks like the top piston ring has broken up & allowed the the gasses to create a hot spot on the bore/piston wall & this has cause the other rings to fail thus doing the damage shown...well thats my opinion,what you think? I recon its sometimes good to hear another opinion on these sort of things.Ive managed to get another engine thats apparently a goodun...but im unsure as wether to just drop it in,run it for the mo & concerntrait on getting the T5 pickup done & doing a trick engine for that or strip this good engine,do the rods,pistons,crank etc bolt my head on then go for a T35 turbo,manifold etc combo.Realistically i did want to leave the R reliable for the road not use it for drag racing anymore hence the pickup idea but i didnt expect it to pop as i did lol

Thread Information