Join Today
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    I’m not sure if I can shed some light on this or not but I thought I would chime in. The iPd TCV is by no means a performance adder. It was designed to replace a potentially failed or worn stock valve. What makes this a heavy duty you ask? The valve operates at a higher frequency so it can control boost more accurately. The finer the adjustment the more precise the boost control. The valve can be opened and cleaned periodically as they can and do get dirty with oil and debris. This is something you cannot do with the stock valve nor an AC Delco or many others for that matter. This is a unique feature we wanted to keep the maintenance costs down on the unit. This means the valve works faster, more efficiently, and can be serviced. These are features that cannot be found on any other TCV. There can always be a less expensive replacement part found but the reality is, if you have to replace the same part over again, doesn’t it make more sense to get one that can be serviced?
    The second topic is what is referred to as the learning curve. This is because the stock valve operates at such a lower frequency it can take the computer time to learn the operation of the new valve. What normally happens is the system uses the stock mapping to control the new valve and can cause it to over boost. When this happens the system goes into what I call ‘limp mode” or lower duty cycle. For instance, if the old valve was maintaing boost at 85% duty cycle it will run the new valve at the same frequency. This can cause the car to over boost and when this happens the system will go into limp mode. Meaning, the system will override the factory settings and operate off waste gate pressure only. When the vehicle begins the new run cycle, the system will lower the duty cycle to say 10% and is essentially “learning” at this point. If the system sees an under boost situation, it will then change the duty cycle to say 80%. If there is still an over boost code it will then lower it to 15%. It will continue this until it brackets the correct duty cycle to maintain the preset boost pressure as per the ECU. I may be late to the table on this but from what I read, this maybe should have been address in the beginning. If anyone has any questions at all please let me know.
    "Ignore advice such as 'work smart, not hard.' It's dangerous-and moronic." -Mike Rowe

"torque steer is not what you do to a cow" -Anonymous...

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ron@iPd For This Useful Post:

pangster (Tuesday 2nd December 2008),Wobbly Dave (Tuesday 2nd December 2008),Yosser (Tuesday 2nd December 2008)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron@iPd View Post
    I’m not sure if I can shed some light on this or not but I thought I would chime in. The iPd TCV is by no means a performance adder. It was designed to replace a potentially failed or worn stock valve. What makes this a heavy duty you ask? The valve operates at a higher frequency so it can control boost more accurately. The finer the adjustment the more precise the boost control. The valve can be opened and cleaned periodically as they can and do get dirty with oil and debris. This is something you cannot do with the stock valve nor an AC Delco or many others for that matter. This is a unique feature we wanted to keep the maintenance costs down on the unit. This means the valve works faster, more efficiently, and can be serviced. These are features that cannot be found on any other TCV. There can always be a less expensive replacement part found but the reality is, if you have to replace the same part over again, doesn’t it make more sense to get one that can be serviced?
    The second topic is what is referred to as the learning curve. This is because the stock valve operates at such a lower frequency it can take the computer time to learn the operation of the new valve. What normally happens is the system uses the stock mapping to control the new valve and can cause it to over boost. When this happens the system goes into what I call ‘limp mode” or lower duty cycle. For instance, if the old valve was maintaing boost at 85% duty cycle it will run the new valve at the same frequency. This can cause the car to over boost and when this happens the system will go into limp mode. Meaning, the system will override the factory settings and operate off waste gate pressure only. When the vehicle begins the new run cycle, the system will lower the duty cycle to say 10% and is essentially “learning” at this point. If the system sees an under boost situation, it will then change the duty cycle to say 80%. If there is still an over boost code it will then lower it to 15%. It will continue this until it brackets the correct duty cycle to maintain the preset boost pressure as per the ECU. I may be late to the table on this but from what I read, this maybe should have been address in the beginning. If anyone has any questions at all please let me know.
    thanks for that Ron!.. I should have made clear in my original reply (after fitting this) that I didn't see an increase in boost.. just an overal improvement in terms of how it is delivered (smoother and seems to build a tad sooner as well and holds/maintains the boost level better) compared to stock.. I did mention that I didn't think mine was performing at it's optimum as its the original factory one that was on the car (and my car has now done 107k miles! ). Very happy with it so far!

1998 BMW Z3 2.8 Roadster

Gizza job!
    Thanks
    Thats a really useful post Ron, Thanks.

It's also the first time I've read that your product is capable of being disassembled for cleaning/maintenance - good point.

FWIW I'm going down the AC Delco route as I have family in the USA who are sourcing/sending the parts at little cost to me. I wouldn't rule out the IPD valve in the future.

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    I'm really sorry I didn't catch this earlier, it may have saved some frustration. We considered a lower cost alternative but the reality is, we can offer a better part that will last longer for what we feel is a reasonable price. Again, if anyone has questions or comments feel free to give me a shout. I will also consider a group buy for those that may be on the fence. I'm not really sure what the cost would be but we can discuss that if we can get some feedback.
    "Ignore advice such as 'work smart, not hard.' It's dangerous-and moronic." -Mike Rowe

"torque steer is not what you do to a cow" -Anonymous...

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ron@iPd For This Useful Post:

BruceT (Wednesday 3rd December 2008),pangster (Tuesday 2nd December 2008)

Thread Information