Join Today
    Glad im Back -D
    Thanks

Anybody in the nw please help

As most of you may have seen im replacing a lot of parts on the old wagon very soon.

But alas i have remembered something which woke me up very early and very worried, When i changed the Wishbones from my 96 T5 CD onto the T5 S i had a lot of problems trying to undo the 36MM nut on the end of the drive shaft.

I had to borrow my friends very large NORBAR TORQUE WRENCH to " crack " it and now he has moved to Australia taking all his tools with him, How inconsiderate eh lol.

I cant afford to go and buy a decent Torque Wrench and ive previously went through a load of cheapo Torque Wrenches and Breaker Bars which all bent or sheared off.

Im absoluteley Skint, ive just spent over £300 in the last 2 days, £75 or so on the PCV system from Rufe, which arrived the next day awesome service and i will be using again matey, plus 2 Wishbones from PFS £140, 2 Track rod ends from PFS £25 the pair, and Uprated Drop links also from PFS £75 the pair, all plus postage, And i still have to pay Adam @ Readview to do the PCV yet so i am completely spent out.

If anybody local to Manchester / Stockport / Oldham / Bolton / Or Ashton has a good 1/2 inch Torque Wrench i could borrow for a couple of days i would be very greatful indeed, maybe even a few Beers in it for somebody.

Cheers for taking the time to read my plea for help,

Lee
    Last edited by cameron; Tuesday 16th September 2008 at 12:55.

1998 C70 T5 GT Auto, 68k, FVSH, Immaculate inside and out, only mod - poly top mount, its Yellow and no pete i didnt paint it, lol

Trader
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Hi Lee,you dont need to undo the shaft,i just undo the track rod end to allow better access to the pinch bolt on the balljoint but even this is not strictly required.Just dive in there and unbolt the wishbone mate,you'll be fine.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to readview For This Useful Post:

cameron (Tuesday 16th September 2008)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    As above just undo the bolt that holds the ball joint and the two holding the control arm to the subframe. Thats all you need to do. Be careful doing up the subframe bolts if you don't have a torque wrench as they are stretch bolts and are likely to break should they be done up to tight.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Alan M For This Useful Post:

This user has no status

Thanks
    If you really, really want to have it undone take it to one of the fast fit places, preferably one that does trucks and drop the guy a bit of beer money for using their BIG IMPACT GUN. I did this years ago at ATS and was more than happy and so was the guy.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to chisai For This Useful Post:

Glad im Back -D
    Thanks
    cheers guys, do i need to undo the 2 bottom bolts on the shock or not?

1998 C70 T5 GT Auto, 68k, FVSH, Immaculate inside and out, only mod - poly top mount, its Yellow and no pete i didnt paint it, lol

Trader
    No Longer a trader.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,791 Posts
    Nope....
    http://www.airbrushartists.org/Gal72..._s_Gallery.asp

Currently rocking Volvo's finest V70R 2WD Manual

Previous cars:
    1996 855 T5 (Ex Police),1996 854 T5,1996 855 T5,1995 855 Black T-5R,1996 960,1997 855 R

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Tomcat For This Useful Post:

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat View Post
    Nope....
    As TC says and actually whatever you do don't undo them as they have the control the setting for the camber so if you undo them you will have to get your camber re-set.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to nobananas For This Useful Post:

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Don't know if these piccies help, did 'em a while ago for a how too on poly bushes (but it got lost in the big crash !).

Inner TCA bush bolt circled (your's might be ex-plod though, am I right ? so it may have the two bolts ether side of the bush)

Same again for the other bush

Balljoint pinchbolt.

Picture showing arm swung round on balljoint pin and application of rubber mallet to knock balljoint from hub to release arm.

Glad im Back -D
    Thanks
    Cheers NB i have had the wishbones out before, but i stripped it all out, hub an all. i just didnt realise i could do it with hub and caliper in situ!

Nice one for the heads up, appreciated, as are all the above posts, cheers guys!

No mate its not ex-plod, looks like it, but its not, ive had loads of people ask me that, lol.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    No mate its not ex-plod, looks like it, but its not, ive had loads of people ask me that, lol.
    My apologies for thinking it was ex-plod mate, wasn't from your cars appearance it was actually because I remember seeing a piccy of a plod or diesel TCA arm when I was checking posts last night, mistakenly I thought it was from one of you're threads. (can't find it now !)

Thread Information