Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

Guide to replacing tie bar mount (small bush)

I've just this minute changed the tie bar mount (small bush) for a a Powerflex uprated mount and thought i'd pull this 'how to' together - I was swapping the bush into a brand new tie bar so i had to cut the existing rubber out - depending on the condition of your existing mount - you may or may not need to cut it out - if you do i strongly recommend a Dremel/Dremel type device with a drill/cutting bit and also a sanding bit.

Powerflex tie bar bush (small):

I bought my bush from Parts For Volvo's.. the box stated it was for an S60 and Powerflex only list the S60 part on their website - so I called PFV and they confirmed it was the same part for pretty much every Volvo! lol!..

Tools required/used:
    14mm socket
    14mm spanner
    Dremmel (strongly recommended) or power drill

STEP 1:
    Using your socket and spanner, undo the bolt that passes through the middle of the smaller mount.

STEP 2:
    Using your Dremel or other cutting tool of choice - carefully cut away the existing rubber mount - be careful not to damage the outer casing. This mount appears to be set in place and not pressed in like other mounts - so their is no quick way to do this (i.e. no reinforced plastic casing to cut) - just take your time and be methodical.

STEP 3:
    After I removed the majority of the old rubber mount and the centre metal sleeve - I switched to a sanding bit on my Dremel and worked round the rest of the mount removing any residual debris.

STEP 4:
    Take the supplied copper grease and smear a thin film in the inside of the mount. Insert one half of the Powerflex bush into the mount and then insert the other half of the mount. Smear a thin film of copper grease onto the metal sleeve and then press this through Powerflex bush.

STEP 5:
    Reassemble Poweflex bush in tie bar and tighten bolt using your 14mm spanner and 14mm socket.

JOB DONE!..

1998 BMW Z3 2.8 Roadster

This user has no status

Thanks
    I've also ordered the larger bush from IPD which comes with fitting instructions (link on their site for anyone who is interested): http://www.ipdusa.com/uploads/sku_files/12766_INST.PDF

It's quite strange how Powerflex or IPD don't make both bushes?.. lol!.. looks like my tie bar is going to be an IPD/Powerflex hybrid!

1998 BMW Z3 2.8 Roadster

Gizza job!
    Thanks
    Let us know what difference you feel once you get out in the car!

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Yosser View Post
    will do!.. although i'm replacing all of the other mounts at the same time as well! lol!..

1998 BMW Z3 2.8 Roadster

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Yosser View Post
    ok - got the car back on Friday with all all my new bits fitted and a full service/Stage 0.

First impressions are the car is now VERY solid. I've noticed a slight increase in engine noise in the cabin - but not to the same extent as when the top torque arm bush was done. It feels a lot better driving/cornering as well - quite hard to explain but not as 'slushy'/soft as it was before - probably due to the weight of the engine being properly anchored down! I also noticed that the gear stick would move sometimes when I accelerate and decelerate (back and forward) - this no longer happens. Gear changes are also VASTLY improved from what they were.

I would recommend getting both bushes done as they aren't much money and are prone to wear on our cars. I had to make a hybrid affair with a Powerflex bush for the small mount and an IPD bush for the larger mount. Which works really well! - although I think Redbrick said that PFV no do Powerflex bushes for both the large and small bush.

1998 BMW Z3 2.8 Roadster

OH DEAR
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 2,752 Posts
    cheers paul its a very helpfull link with pics im sure you will have helped many ppl out with this top man A*********************

7. The Following User Says Thank You to t5 pete For This Useful Post:

pangster (Sunday 23rd November 2008)

This user has no status

Thanks

Exclamation

I forgot to add the instructions for fitting the larger bush!! lol!:

I fitted the IPD bush into a brand new mount, so found it easier to drill 2 cuts (in the plastic surround) either side of the mount so it collapsed on itself and was easy to push out. The IPD mount then fitted in as per their instructions - so now I have a Powerflex/IPD combo mount! lol!

Step 1: Take your drill/dremel and cut 2 slots down the length of the bush on opposite sides:

Step 2: Clean/wipe any residue from mount:

Step 3: Fit new bush as per IPD's instructions (pretty self explanatory):

Step 4: Refit bush/mount back into tie bar arm and torque bolts:

Step 5: Refit onto car and enjoy!

EDIT: You might notice that I marked the mount and the arm with blue and red markers - this was to help with the orientation when reassembling.

Sorry about the quality of pics as they were taken with my iPhone!

1998 BMW Z3 2.8 Roadster

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pangster For This Useful Post:

billnbenT5 (Monday 16th March 2015),volvolised (Sunday 23rd November 2008)

This user has no status

Thanks

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by t5 pete View Post
    cheers paul its a very helpfull link with pics im sure you will have helped many ppl out with this top man A*********************
    thanks pete!

1998 BMW Z3 2.8 Roadster

Thread Information