Join Today
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    This user has no status
    Thanks

rica 304 or 280?

ok i have decided that in a few weeks im going to get rica on my car but dont no weather to get 304 or 280.

whats the diferance between them?
    is there a niticable power diferance?
    and whats the deal with the fuel?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Basically (AFAIK) the 280 allows you to run on regular unleaded but with the 304 you should run on the higher octane 'super' unleaded. How much difference running on different RON fuels makes to performance is debatable depending on the vehicles state of tune, condition etc, some people notice massive differences others not so much. Obviously the 304 should give you more power (it boosts slightly higher than the 280) but how much difference you would notice between the two I don't know. You will however always be wondering what the 304's like if you get the 280 !

This user has no status
    Thanks
    TRUE

i was just thinking about the fuel side of it.
    i thought the 280 ment it gave you 280bhp and the 304 gave you 304bhp?
    so what happens if you put normal unleaded into a car that has rica 304?

This user has no status

Thanks
    it would prob pink/detonate through lack of octaine. you get better fuel econ when chipped anyway, just do it, if your worrying about fuel consumption buy a fiesta

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stonecold View Post
    it would prob pink/detonate through lack of octaine
    what??????????????

Suspended
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stainesy View Post
    TRUE

i thought the 280 ment it gave you 280bhp and the 304 gave you 304bhp?
    wrong

This user has no status
    Thanks
    so what bhp does the 280 give and the 304 give?

This user has no status

Thanks
    That would depend on all manner of things. For a start each engine is different when it;s builth, then you have maintenance through it's life, quality of any repairs that are done, quality of any replacement parts. And the biggest variables of all are who tells you the BHP and which dyno you use if you try and check the answer.
    Last edited by Wombatbomb; Wednesday 3rd September 2008 at 20:10.

This user has no status

Thanks
    rica also have a reputation for overestimating the actual achievable power outputs. I've run three rica tuned volvos, all so called 304 versions. i have never bothered checking the actual power outputs, they wouldnt mean much, more important is the way the tuning alters the way the car drives, torque levels are much improved, less gear changing needed, the cars pull much better between 2500 and 4500 rpm, and your fuel consumption improves 2 or 3mpg. In the higher gears you just press the go pedal to go, no need for high revs in third and fourth, fantastic and addictive in fifth on the motorway. pickup is tremendous. i have never run a rica tuned car on standard unleaded fuel and nor would I do so, imho, you should factor in the cost of high octane fuel.
    I fully intend to continue to drive rica'd Volvo's or a suitable alternative. makes a good car better
    Rgds

Rick

Trader
    No Longer a trader.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,791 Posts
    Well speaking from personal experience I have run a Rica'd car (304) on both normal and super unleaded. The car doesn't pink or detonate if you just run it on normal stuff, you just don't get the same power output. I did also notice though that if you run it on super after it's chipped/ remapped/ whatever you do get better mpg than running it on standard unleaded, sadly I never bothered to work out if the difference in the price of the fuel was equal or better than the difference in mpg.

I'm getting mine done in the next week or two and I will probably go for the 304, even though I rarely stick super in my latest car.
    http://www.airbrushartists.org/Gal72..._s_Gallery.asp

Currently rocking Volvo's finest V70R 2WD Manual

Previous cars:
    1996 855 T5 (Ex Police),1996 854 T5,1996 855 T5,1995 855 Black T-5R,1996 960,1997 855 R

This user has no status
    Thanks
    280 gives the 'potential' to produce 280 BHP, 304 gives the 'potential' to produce 304 BHP. They have to say something in their sales bumf, I don't think saying 'it might produce 304 BHP but if your turbo's a bit worn or you have a bit of bore wear it will probably produce maybe 270...ish'. Think of the figures in the same way as broadband download speeds. You buy 8 meg knowing full well that you'll probably only get 6 but it's still going to be better than what you've already got !

Trader
    No Longer a trader.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,791 Posts
    Well said that man.
    http://www.airbrushartists.org/Gal72..._s_Gallery.asp

Currently rocking Volvo's finest V70R 2WD Manual

Previous cars:
    1996 855 T5 (Ex Police),1996 854 T5,1996 855 T5,1995 855 Black T-5R,1996 960,1997 855 R

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat View Post
    Well speaking from personal experience I have run a Rica'd car (304) on both normal and super unleaded. The car doesn't pink or detonate if you just run it on normal stuff, you just don't get the same power output. I did also notice though that if you run it on super after it's chipped/ remapped/ whatever you do get better mpg than running it on standard unleaded, sadly I never bothered to work out if the difference in the price of the fuel was equal or better than the difference in mpg.

I'm getting mine done in the next week or two and I will probably go for the 304, even though I rarely stick super in my latest car.
    Same here TC. I've had to put lower octane in mine from time to time and didn't notice any pinking etc at all, just a slight drop in performance but I know others have noted more extreme reactions to using regular. Think a lot of it depends on whether there are any other upgrades that make it more susceptibility and run it closer to the edge.

OH DEAR
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Has any one had problems with the rica tuning such as smoking or running too rich for the mot also does any one fancy a meet up in the soulth yourshire area?
    pete

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by t5 pete View Post
    Has any one had problems with the rica tuning such as smoking or running too rich for the mot also does any one fancy a meet up in the soulth yourshire area?
    pete
    Mines been fine, and I check it more often than most because I work at a MOT testing station (full access to the emissions computer !). It's unlikely that a re-map would effect emissions for the MOT as they are only tested at idle and a constant throttle RPM (usually 2500-3000 rpm). In these conditions the engine is running mostly off-boost and under full Lambda control. The parameters altered with a re-map will mostly effect WOT when the engine is producing maximum power under full boost.

OH DEAR
    Thanks
    Thats great thanks how long has your car had the rica tuning on it also do you know if there are any meets in the uk for volvo owners?

This user has no status

Thanks
    Manual or Auto? If Manual go and do the 304, if Auto do the 280 as its the torque is more important and useable. I have a 304 on an Auto and have never had the need to use the top end as most is lost it seems through the transmission. I could have a 280 in hindsight and saved a bit over longer distances in cost. What is the torque on a 280 map? A 304 map ups it from 300nm to 420nm I think from memory. Now a 280 map with that torque figure is just what an Auto could do with.....

BTW mine has always passed the MOT and seems to pull cleaner emmisions than before I had the RICA. I bought mine June 2004 and RICA'd it in November 2004 , no problems with it. Just regularly serviced and its fine. No oil or water use either.

You can run regular good quality 95 Ron fuel in them (sheel, bp or esso not supermarket fuels) , if you keep it out of the boost and don't floor it everywhere then it should be fine. Its only when the ECU advances the timing under boost it causes the problem. Mine is ex-saudi and before it was RICA'd it said in the petrol flap
    " this car can be run on leaded fuel although we recommend using unleaded 95 Ron octane fuel where possible "
    Last edited by Babybadger; Wednesday 3rd September 2008 at 21:41.
    A 2001 Buell X1 Lightning now in sunny Tenerife and a Santa Cruz Superlight..yes I will get on it!
    Looking for a Honda Hornet CB600FS (fairing one in Blue) for the UK

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Babybadger For This Useful Post:

t5 pete (Wednesday 3rd September 2008)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by t5 pete View Post
    Thats great thanks how long has your car had the rica tuning on it also do you know if there are any meets in the uk for volvo owners?
    Mines been in for about a year now although I should point out that I fitted it just after a full engine and turbo rebuild. I never got chance to try it on my 'old' engine to see how it performed and my car isn't a weekend toy it's the wifes commuter hack and covers 400 odd miles a week.

OH DEAR
    Thanks
    I think i will go and have it done i have been wanting to get it done since i got the car 4 years ago but was never too sure

This user has no status
    Thanks
    ok i am lookin at getting a rica from hamish. tbh i dont no the bloke so is he a good person to get one from?

Thread Information