Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

Volvo V70 T5 Performance

I've just bought a Volvo V70 T5 year 2000. I'm a bit disappointed in the performance below 3000 rpm. Above that it's very quick. Is this normal? If so, would a remap help?

Any other suggestions as to how to increase the performance from below 3000 rpm?

Many thanks

This user has no status

Thanks
    classic turbo lag situation, although in my opinion, I have never found it problem on a T5 Volvo. have you seen the Top Gear episode where JC races a Mitsubishi Evo against a Vauxhall astra in top gear? I dont know of any petrol car which has good torque or performance below 3000 rpm. What you need is a diesel. remap will make no difference, assuming its all running correctly?
    Rgds

Rick

returning after getting lost
    Thanks
    have you cleaned out the turbo pipe and air pipes yet does make aa difference if you use wd40

This user has no status

Thanks
    mine is the same until the turbo kicks in no wheel spinning power nothing

my trans am has loads of power under 3k if not most of the power will be happy smoking the tyres out at 3k or just under
    00 c70 2.3 t5

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Hi, its the old saying - there aint no replacement for displacement!! If you want low down grunt and torque you need more cc's and more cyliners as turbos need revs to blow hard. My T5's exactly the same, you can chip em and mess about til the cows come home but at the end of the day its still only a little 2.3 litre engine in a heavy car so unless the turbos blowin, you're goin nowhere fast!! :-)
    Shaun

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jonno12 View Post
    have you cleaned out the turbo pipe and air pipes yet does make aa difference if you use wd40
    Thanks for that. Where are the pipes I need to clean?

Monty

I have been unfaithful to
    Volvo twice since joining this
    forum but it's only for more
    than 5 pots nuf said
    Thanks
    Wot a load of cods wallop, try driving the original 850 T5 loads of pull from 2000 rpm! Or an LPT loads of pull from even lower in the rev range.
    I to have a 2000 V70 T5 and yes the 16T isnt the best turbo below 3000 rpm however mine has an autologic remap by DPA means that it kicks in better at low revs and is more driveable before it would cruise happily say at 5th@ 40 mph now it will and ok accelaration from 40 in 5th aint breath taking but it does have more bottom end withought strain, the good thing is its more power everywhere in the rev range.
    2004 V50 T5 SE

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by monty2556 View Post
    I've just bought a Volvo V70 T5 year 2000. I'm a bit disappointed in the performance below 3000 rpm. Above that it's very quick. Is this normal? If so, would a remap help?

Any other suggestions as to how to increase the performance from below 3000 rpm?

Many thanks
    Should pull well from 2000rpm and very strongly from 2400-2500rpm. Has anything been fiddled with or fitted aftermarket; like a larger turbo for instance?

Get in touch with The Mac Doctor now.
    (Covering Norwich and Norfolk)

I have been unfaithful to
    Volvo twice since joining this
    forum but it's only for more
    than 5 pots nuf said
    Thanks
    My phase 2 felt flat almost slow before 3k prior to remap its more noticable than on the phase 1s.
    Get it mapped you will notice a big improvement in low rev drivability
    2004 V50 T5 SE

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Mine is fine from about 2.500, but to be honest I don't really want that turbo drinking my petrol all the time. (C70 T5 Ph 1) Since I have to be careful not to spin it from standing I don't feel the need for any more grunt low down.

Had quite a shock last week - I filled up, drove 10 miles, and the "miles to zero" on the trip showed 500 !

Rather than a remap, maybe just a good service with new filters could do the trick.
    Last edited by OogieBoogie; Monday 1st September 2008 at 16:28.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by OogieBoogie View Post
    Rather than a remap, maybe just a good service with new filters could do the trick.
    Good point, and oft overlooked. I changed the HT, arm and cap on mine a few months back, made a world of difference.

Get in touch with The Mac Doctor now.
    (Covering Norwich and Norfolk)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I have a phase 2 angled 16t on my 850 and I tried yesterday on the standard BCS and found it a little laggy below 3000rpm. I put the MBC back on and it runs a lot better and spools up at a tad below 2300rpm. A map should help you with your problems and help provide some more low down grunt.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    , i just got a volvo t5 awd, runs ok but when i had a look under the bonet,the airflow meter had bin unpluged.but when i pluged it bk in the reves whent up and down then it cut out mmmmmm,so i unpluged it and started it agen and it was ok,so what do you think .do you think it needs a new airflow meeter.or wat can it be,

VPCUK Car of the Year 2013
    Jim
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,282 Times in 3,549 Posts
    Where the hell did you find that thread mate you been digging deep lol, yes change your maf go to a breakers and try one there easy to change

T35, 556Nm/410lbft & 361BHP/317WHP

Demented Tonka Toy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,758 Times in 1,256 Posts
    a 3" downpipe helped mine with lag - but mine pulls full torque from 2000 rpm because the turbo is smaller than on most of the other T5 models so I doubt i experience the lag of those of you with dustbin sized turbos.

Remap can help with lag due to remaps often fiddling with the turbo ramp or whatever they call it (meaning the boost comes in more aggressively so it 'feels' less laggy) but I doubt it would be more than a slight difference, and probably affect drivability negatively in poor traction conditions anyway.

Thread Information