Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

Engine Management System malfunction

Drove over to my gran's today (haven't driven the car for a couple of days) and noticed that it was really struggling for power. I'd get it above 3000 revs and the thing would lurch and lose power. At one point going down a hill I put my foot to the floor in fourth and it wouldn't go past 80mph.....

Managed to make it there and left it for a while but when I started the drive back it was doing the same thing. Except now at 3000 revs it was sort of making a hissing / screeching noice. Then the EMS light came on and stayed on for the duration of the journey home.

I've got a feeling this is going to get expensive as I don't know anywhere else locally that can read the Volvo ECU except Mill Garges in Sunderland

Can anyone offers any suggestion as to what it may be?

Suspended
    This user has no status

Thanks
    sounds like a pipe has split on the induction side have a good look around ,if your cars after 96 you can buy a obd2 reader off e bay for around twenty five quid inc shipping and read the codes yourself

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Just had a look around it can't see any splits but then I'm not sure if I'm looking in the right area.

I did hear someone mention that it could be the electronic throttle control but I thought this was after 1998 which is my car's year

This user has no status
    Thanks
    theres a garage in southwick ...scotts bank motors i think...use to be a volvo mechanic...he will sort ya out....had mine there hes a top bloke

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Nice one Mark

I'll give them a bell tomorrow and fingers crossed get it sorted.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Taken it down there and he can't get a reading from the ECU **groan** so I've left it with him.

Just read a comment about MAF failures that can cause lack of power. Anyone know what the symptoms of this would be? The car is spluttering on idle and can sometimes stall, revs vary from 500 to 1000 and there seems to be no turbo as the car doesn't reach 3000 revs.

Can anyone please offer any advice?
    Thanks

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Try disconnecting the MAF and driving as normal. If the same symptoms persist it would indicate a MAF problem.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    The same thing happened to me, the aa man plugged in and said it read with no code, he suspected his software was for 2000 onwards. took it to independant volvo place in Stockport and they had it read for £35 (the volvo stealer wanted £100) it pointed to the MAF sensor just after the air filter. they tightened it because they said it was loose!....they recomended taking my cone filter off and refit the standard air box, no problems since

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Yeah I think he must have sussed it out as he managed to get the last 3 codes....

Problem was traced to a split turbo inlet pipe under the engine. It had also detached itself. Fixed for the princely sum of £20

Quite relieved actually.

Thanks for the comments

This user has no status
    Thanks

Question Fao Bigndaft.

Quote Originally Posted by bigndaft
    The same thing happened to me, the aa man plugged in and said it read with no code, he suspected his software was for 2000 onwards. took it to independant volvo place in Stockport and they had it read for £35 (the volvo stealer wanted £100) it pointed to the MAF sensor just after the air filter. they tightened it because they said it was loose!....they recomended taking my cone filter off and refit the standard air box, no problems since
    Hi Bigndaft,

Where abouts in Stockport is the independant Volvo Place? May pay it a visit the next time I visit the wrinklies. Where abouts in Manchester are you?

Cheers.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Hi meffs, see this link;
    http://www.google.co.uk/local?hl=en&...15788498893687
    or if that don't work, its Hallmark Volvo, canal wharf,wharf street. 0161 4290008. They were very helpfull.
    Last edited by dave850R; Thursday 28th April 2005 at 23:58. Reason: made link clickable

This user has no status
    Thanks

Talking

Cheers mate. Know exactly where it is! where are you, Stockport or Manchester?

Thread Information