Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

S40 T4 Engine Fan

I had mentioned this briefly in my new member thread but just wanted to bring it up here too to see if anyone can shed any light.

My T4 runs absolutely fine and uses no coolant and the temperature reported is never of any concern but it has what I consider to be a strange thing happening with the fan.

As an example, on Friday evening I got home from work and switched the car off. It stood for around ten minutes and then my girlfriend got in it for work. When she put the ignition on, the fan instantly came on, the car temperature was 75 degrees. To me that seems weird.

I noticed today though when replacing a blown headlight bulb that there is a warning sticker that says the fan is self starting. What does that mean?

Cheers

1998 S40 T4
    Two Hundred Horses of Swedish Boost Action!!

Singing in the rain!
    Thanks
    when your temp is too high the fan automatically kicks in as opposed to a fan that just constantly runs. I guess from your description that the ignition has to be turned on. nothing to worry about imo.
    "I am never wrong! Just in a position to learn something new!"
    Mods so far, HLM ReMap, Goodridge brake lines, Eibach springs lowering 35mm, K&N57i filter with cold air, Strut brace, Shark fin aerial, Boost guage
    YES IT'S A DIESEL
    Wish list, BOV, 18" rims, Struts, Stainless exhaust, Injector Upgrade, MORE POWER!

CDO Sufferer
    Thanks
    be warned - if there is a faulty reading coming from your MAF (mass air sensor) then the t4 automatically keeps the fan's running (I suppose to cool engine / remove fuel vapour or something down those lines - no matter what the engine temp)... it's not the end of the world....try unplugging the MAF plug (with the iginition off) cleaning it, and putting it back in...It could be the MAF itself, but i doubt it... mine use to do it and i found the MAF lead was loose - hasn't done it since

It is true that the fans automatically start, and continue after the car has been running... but the fans normally kick in at around 100'c... not 75 (as this is pretty much optimum temperature)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jimka For This Useful Post:

Stevie-Boy (Sunday 17th August 2008)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Cheers for that, I will check out the MAF connection ;-)

EDIT: Just checked the MAF plug and it is connected properly, not loose or anything. Will get in unplugged and cleaned and see if that helps at all, cheers.
    Last edited by Stevie-Boy; Sunday 17th August 2008 at 16:08.

1998 S40 T4
    Two Hundred Horses of Swedish Boost Action!!

Thread Information