Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

volvo 850 awd transmission noise{wineing}

could anyone advize as to what problem may be, car is making wineing sound, it happens only when moving, an also when moving in neutral, could it just be low oil in transmission? be real greatful of any experienced advice, thanx

Trader
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Sadly the transfer box is a common source of the noise you describe and wont be cured by topping up the oil.On the awd cars it is important that all four tyres are rotated regularly so the wear level stays within a mill or so,otherwise it damages the transfer box.Do try and be sure to eliminate more basic faults first though,such as wheel bearing noise.This will also occur whether the car is in gear or not.If the noise gets louder when cornering in one direction and quieter cornering the other way then it is most likely a wheel bearing.

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    As said above, could be the tyre wear is more on some wheels and is putting strain on the system. Just do a check and see if the wheels have the same wear, if not, then you need to get them all replaced to relieve the strain on the system.

I swap my wheels from front to back every 6 months (you can use the X method where you swap front driver wheel to rear passenger, etc, but sometimes you can't do that as some tyres have a running direction.

Is it coming from the front or rear? Obviously you've got the rear diff, so check the oil level in that, also you have the angle gear at the front, check the oil in that too. You can get the oil from Volvo dealer, Rufe (on here), or I saw some on partsforvolvosonline.com the other day. The capacities are: angle gear - 0.75 litres, and rear diff - 1.35 litres.
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Seen your CAT [ Puss ] recently??

This user has no status
    Thanks
    whooooooooooooopz ive smashed my rear diff, doh! replaced oil but 2 late damage was done, shes smashed drivin back from garage, oh well, thanx 4 ya answers!
    dont spose you'd kno if the rear diff from a v70 awd will fit my 850 awd?????

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    Oh bad luck mate. I've just finished changing my clutch, had to be a complete engine out job (its the easiest way to do it because the angle gear is in the way of everything!)

Yes, the rear diffs are the same on the 850/v70 awd up to 1999. So Best thing to do is to ask Rufe, he'll be able to clarify.
    Last edited by Dangerous Dave; Tuesday 19th August 2008 at 21:51.
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Dangerous Dave For This Useful Post:

Mental Wealth Doctor (Wednesday 20th August 2008)

Trader
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Got a couple of back axles here with good diffs in.With warranty £100+shipping and vat.

Thread Information