Join Today
    Glad im Back -D
    Thanks

Question Track Rod Ends DIY or Garage ?

Right the Tethys are on but in the process the tyre place ( Tyretraders.com, Perry barr, Birmingham, who were very helpful indeed) pointed out that there was some play in the Track Rod Ends, my question is, is there some sort of way to change them and get the allignment spot on back to where they were without going to the garage, maybe a mark on the thread or summit like that?

Parts arent a problem there's a Volvo Garage in Stockport, so i'll get genuine ones as they seem to be about the same price as the privateers, its just the allignment, as long as its close i can drive it about 5 miles theres a place that does full geometery allignment front and back for £40 but it involves motorway driving and the wheel shake pisses me off! and messes the tyres up.

Any info is much appreciated.

Cheers.

1998 C70 T5 GT Auto, 68k, FVSH, Immaculate inside and out, only mod - poly top mount, its Yellow and no pete i didnt paint it, lol

Trader
    No Longer a trader.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,791 Posts
    They're easy enough to change, no reason why you can't mark the threads with something and then just put the replacements back where the old ones where.
    http://www.airbrushartists.org/Gal72..._s_Gallery.asp

Currently rocking Volvo's finest V70R 2WD Manual

Previous cars:
    1996 855 T5 (Ex Police),1996 854 T5,1996 855 T5,1995 855 Black T-5R,1996 960,1997 855 R

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Tomcat For This Useful Post:

cameron (Saturday 16th August 2008)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    yes chap they are easy to do , mark the threads but take car after to have the tracking checked

5. The Following User Says Thank You to adey For This Useful Post:

This user has no status
    Thanks
    You can take a fixed measurement from the cenre of the bottom of the track rod end joint and a marked position on the steering rack arms. You will need alignment afterwards.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Alan M For This Useful Post:

Singing in the rain!
    Thanks
    Always get tracking checked after removing any suspension part as they never go back on in exactly the same place and even the smallest difference can throw the tracking/camber out.
    "I am never wrong! Just in a position to learn something new!"
    Mods so far, HLM ReMap, Goodridge brake lines, Eibach springs lowering 35mm, K&N57i filter with cold air, Strut brace, Shark fin aerial, Boost guage
    YES IT'S A DIESEL
    Wish list, BOV, 18" rims, Struts, Stainless exhaust, Injector Upgrade, MORE POWER!

This user has no status

Thanks
    i know a lot of people just either mark the thread,or count the number of turns to remove it , or just break the lock nut remove the old one and screw the new one up to the lock nut, all of these are fairly accurate but due to the thread can be quite a way out when you get your tracking checked , the best way i have found to eniminate the thread start difference is to mark the steering arm inboard of the thread and measure from this mark to the to the arm the trackrod end bolts into on the suspension , remeasure this when fitting the new one .
    i hope you can understand what i mean as this has saved me resetting my tracking in the garage before as it felt as good a before and didnt scrub the tyres

10. The Following User Says Thank You to frodge For This Useful Post:

cameron (Sunday 17th August 2008)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    the best way i have found to eniminate the thread start difference is to mark the steering arm inboard of the thread and measure from this mark to the to the arm the trackrod end bolts into on the suspension , remeasure this when fitting the new one .
    Like I said earlier.

This user has no status

Thanks
    not quite but similar , sorry

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I have changed literally hundreds of track rod ends at work and it doesn't matter what I do, mark the threads, leave the lock nut untouched the tracking is always out when checked !. This will also always be the case if a pattern track rod end is used because as has been said a very small amount of difference/length in the new part adds up to a big difference in the alignment. Fit them yourself then get the tracking checked/adjusted should be the cheapest option.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to nobananas For This Useful Post:

cameron (Sunday 17th August 2008)

Thread Information