Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    This user has no status

Thanks

EBC Redstuff - any good?

Ok, sick of the car sounding like a bus when it stops, as I've bought cheapy ATE high-metal-content pads, so I'm looking to ditch them for something a bit better.

Am I better going back to Volvo OE stuff (about £50 from PFV) or switching to something like EBC reds. I know Mintex stuff is high metal and squeals like a pig, so they're not an option, and I'm not a fan of Ferodo's compounds.

Any help appreciated

Edited to add, am I right in thinking that a 2.0 c70 has the same brakes as a c70 t5? I'm certain that there was only one part number listed when I bought the ATE pads...
    Last edited by BlackC70; Thursday 7th August 2008 at 15:20.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackC70 View Post
    Ok, sick of the car sounding like a bus when it stops, as I've bought cheapy ATE high-metal-content pads, so I'm looking to ditch them for something a bit better.

Am I better going back to Volvo OE stuff (about £50 from PFV) or switching to something like EBC reds. I know Mintex stuff is high metal and squeals like a pig, so they're not an option, and I'm not a fan of Ferodo's compounds.

Any help appreciated

Edited to add, am I right in thinking that a 2.0 c70 has the same brakes as a c70 t5? I'm certain that there was only one part number listed when I bought the ATE pads...
    Personally i would go for ferodo performance ds2500, tho some argue Police spec are best....
    All the c70 pads are the same size to the MY02 model...
    Cheers
    Jod
    855 rica 304bhp, Adjusted Wastegate, Bleed Valve, ITG Panel Filter, 171k fsh, Volvo Strutt Brace, Polybush Topmount , 4mm Samco Vacuum Hoses, 10 Core "Racing" Ht Leads, 302mm Volvo Discs under 16" Columba Alloys, Performance DS2500 Fronts Red Stuff Rears, Drillled Airbox, 5w/40 Oil Changed @ 5k intervals,

764 B230ET 108k FVSH No mods yet...Planning underway.....

Dum Spiro Spero

VOC 850/70 Register Keeper
    VOC 20419

This user has no status

Thanks
    I've had bad experiences with Ferodo stuff in the past, so they're out of the question unfortunately.

I thought police spec stuff was just cos it came with wear indicators, not cos of any compound difference?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I've had bad experiences with Ferodo stuff in the past, so they're out of the question unfortunately.

thats a shame its a damn good pad....

I thought police spec stuff was just cos it came with wear indicators, not cos of any compound difference?
    that depends who's shouting thier opinion at you, best bet is give them a try and make your own judgement.... they cant be crap, can they....
    Cheers
    Jod
    855 rica 304bhp, Adjusted Wastegate, Bleed Valve, ITG Panel Filter, 171k fsh, Volvo Strutt Brace, Polybush Topmount , 4mm Samco Vacuum Hoses, 10 Core "Racing" Ht Leads, 302mm Volvo Discs under 16" Columba Alloys, Performance DS2500 Fronts Red Stuff Rears, Drillled Airbox, 5w/40 Oil Changed @ 5k intervals,

Dum Spiro Spero

VOC 20419

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jod T5 View Post
    thats a shame its a damn good pad....
    I wouldn't call it a shame, maybe my driving style is different to yours but when I've used ferodo pads before, they've glazed over easily after being bedded in, they've overheated quite quickly leading to smoking wheels and blued discs and I've experienced horrific fade from high speed...

I'd rather leave ferodo well alone

that depends who's shouting thier opinion at you, best bet is give them a try and make your own judgement.... they cant be crap, can they....
    Cheers
    Jod
    No-one's shouted opinions at me, as far as I've found they're the same pad but with wear indicators on. I can't afford to buy them just to try them out and see, so I'm relying on other people to proffer alternatives or at least give me an idea on just how EBC Reds perform on a heavy FWD coupe.

If I'm going to spend money to the tune of about £75 for reds, or £50 for OE pads, I'd prefer to make the right decision first time, and if the reds offer a much quicker and controlled stop than the OE ones, then I'll buy them - if not, I'll probably stick to OE.

Police spec is a bone of contention as there are two camps, some saying they're the best thing since sliced bread, and some saying they're nowt other than OE pads with a wear indicator as specified by Plod. There's no side by side tests that I'm aware of that actually show the police spec stuff as being better than OE, but I've read plenty of reviews of EBC reds that say they are a better stopping pad than an OE pad, hence asking for people's experiences of the aforementioned reds, before making my mind up and splashing the cash...

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I wouldn't call it a shame, maybe my driving style is different to yours but when I've used ferodo pads before, they've glazed over easily after being bedded in, they've overheated quite quickly leading to smoking wheels and blued discs and I've experienced horrific fade from high speed...

I'd rather leave ferodo well alone

You have used DS's before or are you assuming that as you dont like cornflakes, Kelloggs must be crap......?

Police spec is a bone of contention as there are two camps, some saying they're the best thing since sliced bread, and some saying they're nowt other than OE pads with a wear indicator as specified by Plod. There's no side by side tests that I'm aware of that actually show the police spec stuff as being better than OE, but I've read plenty of reviews of EBC reds that say they are a better stopping pad than an OE pad, hence asking for people's experiences of the aforementioned reds, before making my mind up and splashing the cash...

In my experience the only way to find out what is the best is to try them all...No amount of "peoples comments" will ensure you have the best... You will get conflictive opinion some useful, some not....I think you will find that people who have tried Ds's and police spec will not be changing thier mind...
    Cheers
    Jod

Dum Spiro Spero

VOC 20419

This user has no status
    Thanks

Police spec is a bone of contention as there are two camps, some saying they're the best thing since sliced bread, and some saying they're nowt other than OE pads with a wear indicator as specified by Plod. There's no side by side tests that I'm aware of that actually show the police spec stuff as being better than OE

That's exactly what Jod is trying to tell you!

There are more opinions on brake set-ups than there are drivers! It sounds like you know lots already - so, take a chance! What is good for one, or even good for the majority, might not be good for you!

Good Luck.

John.
    Touareg 5.0 V10 TDI
    * WIDESCREEN NAVIGATION * 12 WAY ADJUSTABLE ELECTRIC SEATS * AUTOMATIC BOOT/TAILGATE * HEAT INSULATING TINTED GLASS * VAVONA WOOD TRIM * NAPPA LEATHER * DETACHABLE TOWBAR * PADDLESHIFT TIPTRONIC * 6 DISC CD * BLUETOOTH PHONE

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Sorry Jod, you beat me to it!
    Touareg 5.0 V10 TDI
    * WIDESCREEN NAVIGATION * 12 WAY ADJUSTABLE ELECTRIC SEATS * AUTOMATIC BOOT/TAILGATE * HEAT INSULATING TINTED GLASS * VAVONA WOOD TRIM * NAPPA LEATHER * DETACHABLE TOWBAR * PADDLESHIFT TIPTRONIC * 6 DISC CD * BLUETOOTH PHONE

This user has no status

Thanks
    You have used DS's before or are you assuming that as you dont like cornflakes, Kelloggs must be crap......?
    I've used Ferodo before, DS2000s to be precise, on a lighter car than a C70 and they were crap, I'm not giving any more money to Federal Mogul Corporation. End of story.

In my experience the only way to find out what is the best is to try them all...No amount of "peoples comments" will ensure you have the best... You will get conflictive opinion some useful, some not....I think you will find that people who have tried Ds's and police spec will not be changing thier mind...
    Cheers
    Jod
    The point I'm making is that I wanted experiences of Redstuff pads, nothing more, nothing less. Not Ferodo, not Mintex, not Carbon Lorraine, not ATE, not Jurid, not Pagid, not Brembo... ad lib to fade.

If you're happy with Ferodo, or "police spec" (of which Vadis even only lists the wear harness as the police/misc option) then fair enough, I don't want ferodo pads (as stated in the 2nd post I made in this thread) and as there aren't any definate side-by-side tests of OE vs "police" pads, it's going to prove to be hard to say they're better or worse.

Going by what you've said, the choices are DS2500s or "Police" pads, neither of which I am prepared to entertain as a choice, therefore quit going on about DS2500s. Unless someone can state unequivocally that "police" pads are a different compound to standard OE pads, then to me they are one and the same. It seems to be a case of the butt dyno where they're concerned "I spent money, they're "police" pads therefore they're going to be so much better than anything else"...

So, can we please have postings from people who've fitted EBC Reds to their cars... please?

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Okete View Post
    That's exactly what Jod is trying to tell you!

There are more opinions on brake set-ups than there are drivers! It sounds like you know lots already - so, take a chance! What is good for one, or even good for the majority, might not be good for you!

Good Luck.

John.
    Very true, which was why I said pretty much from the start I wasn't going to entertain Ferodo pads, and from what I've found so far the "police" pads are nowt but OE pads with a wear indicator.

The first post in the thread says "Has anyone run EBC Redstuff" - that doesn't say Ferodo DS2500s, nor does it say "police" spec. When it comes to taking a chance on £75 pads, I'd prefer to have some form of testimonials on them, which was why I asked here...

Obviously I must be mistaken - I thought forums were for asking specific questions and getting specific answers, not "you'll never find out unless you try them all" or "buy ferodo or "police" spec" and that's it.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    There's no helping some people!

You asked for opinions - no need to be so aggressive.
    Touareg 5.0 V10 TDI

This user has no status

Thanks
    I'm not being aggressive at all...

I've asked a specific question and been given opinions on everything but.

Look at the title of the thread... doesn't that say it all??? No replies as of yet as to a simple "yes they are" or "no they're not".

What more can I say...

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Nothing................hopefully.
    Touareg 5.0 V10 TDI

This user has no status

Thanks
    Erm... you what?

Please clarify?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Had red stuff ceramics for around a month before I sold the motor, they did tend to squeal a little on the final turns up to a slow junction but stopping power was much improved. Quite dusty tho. Markyv40 has the car now so you could get his opinions...

16. The Following User Says Thank You to mickhoon For This Useful Post:

BlackC70 (Thursday 7th August 2008)

This user has no status

Thanks
    nice one mate, cheers - squeal is what I'm trying to avoid... I'll give marky a pm

This user has no status
    Thanks

Exclamation

Give Rufe a call, He does both and i think Police spec are the same with wear indicators the difference! i could be wrong, but he'll be able to advise you with his experience!!!!!!!!1

eVolvolution
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mickhoon View Post
    Had red stuff ceramics for around a month before I sold the motor, they did tend to squeal a little on the final turns up to a slow junction but stopping power was much improved. Quite dusty tho. Markyv40 has the car now so you could get his opinions...
    I've been running Red Stuff ceramic pads on the front on my Rica'd C70 for a year now and I've never had one squeal from them - the dust content is much lower than the standard pads that were on the car when I bought it.

Red Stuff pads are rubbish... However, Red Stuff Ceramic are brilliant in my opinion.

You sure it was the ceramic ones you bought, Mick and not the normal Red Stuff?

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Dacvolvo For This Useful Post:

BlackC70 (Friday 8th August 2008)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    i ran ds 2500 pads all round and they did squeak a bit ,but i still have them on the back and dont seem to squeak ,, i done bbk upgrade on the front and running ebc yellow,s and they squeak from time to time ,,,

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 727 Posts
    I had ebc yellows on the front, no complaints with the perfromance, but the fit wasn't up to scratch. They didn't fit very well in the carriers, so when ever i went over a bump or reversed they clonked. If you go the ebc route, i'd suggest the yellows over the reds.

Thread Information