Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

Sorry – more fuel mileage ramblings!

As I’m daft enough to use my P2 T5 for work journeys throughout the week I’ve spent some time weighing up the best strategy for fuelling the beast. Recent fills using Super Unleaded ‘products’, have left me balking at the numbers churning up on the pump display. Having taken the time to crunch these numbers though, the results, although probably obvious, came as something of a surprise.
    For example, over a regular 280 mile journey, consisting of a very long stretch of fairly un-busy motorway allowing for long stints of cruise control, a tank of 95RON will return around 31.5MPG, which at £1.11’9 per litre costs £45.22. The same run on the popular Tesco 99 gives around 33MPG, which at £1.16’9 a pop bottle comes to £45.09. Finally, with a tank of Ferrari juice (VPower) fuel mileage is above or around 34MPG, which although quite costly at £1.20’0 per litre, makes for a total of £44.93, the lowest of the three.
    Furthermore, the lower your overall average fuel mileage is, the greater the difference you will typically notice (as your fuel throughput magnifies the relatively small margins involved in the calculations) although the biggest challenge still seems to be not only finding VPower but finding it at a reasonable price. http://www.petrolprices.com/
    Obviously the simple calculations are only as good as the recorded figures, which I concede can never be entirely accurate on a like for like basis, however, this reasonably reproducible evidence has helped me decide which fuel to buy and at what price threshold, meaning I can run within my paltry 18ppm fuel allowance!

Hope this may be of some use to others looking at fuel options.

Over and out
    Princepugh

V70 T5 P2

2. The Following User Says Thank You to princepugh For This Useful Post:

y2blade (Tuesday 5th August 2008)

in dilema near ilford
    Thanks

Thumbs up fuel

LPG is the answer at less than 60p a litre ;-)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by princepugh View Post

Hope this may be of some use to others looking at fuel options.

Over and out
    thank you

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I drive a 98' V70 Tdi and do roughly 4,500 miles a month (220miles/day). This is all motorway mileage and I only ever use Shell V-Power Diesel. When not available I use BP Ultima but find V-Power has the edge on both Mpg and performance.

When I first got the car I was using super market diesel but could feel it hesitate/stutter when doing a steady 70mph or going up hill. As a passenger you would knever know but when you do as many miles as I do you can feel it through the pedal. Since using the performance diesels it has never skipped a beat. IMHO super market fuels are a false economy, unless you drive a shed in which case I would use nothing but.

Luckily I get 40p/mile for the first 10K and then 25p/mile thereafter. But with an oil and filter change every 5k and service every 10k the mileage allowance does not go as far as it used to

Thread Information