Join Today
    blackbooty
    This user has no status

rica'ecu on auto box

i will be getting the gents at chip tuning to work thier magic on 96 T5 auto in the near future, can any1 advise me on the best option (if i have an option)
    the 280 or 304 ponies.
    ta.

Andrew
    This user has no status
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbooty
    i will be getting the gents at chip tuning to work thier magic on 96 T5 auto in the near future, can any1 advise me on the best option (if i have an option)
    the 280 or 304 ponies.
    ta.
    More power is always good - if your car is in decent nick and everything works as it should go for the 304 - if your a little worried about things like turbo or gearbox go with the 280.

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    AT is usually a little more expensive than the manuals when they go wrong. My top tip would be to change your ATF regardless of upgrade, as soon as you can.

Both transmission typre are more than strong enough to take the full stage 1 RICA.

I would read our knowledge section and check Bracers Stage 0 tune up to ensure you get best results. 280 is less rewarding on power but it is less fiddly in some respects as you can still run 95 RON with no loss of power. The full on stage 1 RICA will give more power but the car may need extra work to get the most out of it. Don't get me wrong - it might be just fine, but there is only one way to tell.

If you are at all worried about the box then I have a solution for the tuned Auto's -which reduces the heat stress on the ATF, by the fitting off an additional cooler to the system. PM me if you are interested.

Ultimately the choice is up to you - depends what you want out of the car.
    I think the cars are worth taking to the max - making the most of their potential. VT will tell you if anything needs attention on either upgrade. They will be able to answer any questions you have.
    Personally I would go for the big one!
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

Volvo sucks....... lots of air
    Thanks
    I've got the 280, why don't you go for the 304 and we compare notes ? Like Andrew said - more is better and if money is not an issue, I would also go for the 304 so that nothing (no stone) is left unturned....

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I've got the 280 on my 1996 auto & am well satisfied. I think everything needs to be A1 to get full value from the 304. Also, the ability to use 95 RON is a bonus.
    Cheers, Chris.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I just filled the tank with a full 70 litres at Sainsburys and noticed that 95RON was only 2p more less than diesel and premium. (88p and 90p)

So I treated the old girl to some premium.

But the tank cost me more than my first car... a dirty little white Renault 9 with a lorry ding in the right wing and a leaky boot that collected water better than a resevoir.

Anyway, I digress. Seeing as the gas is so expensive either way I think the full wack is the way to go - especially if there is this unproven increase in mpg.

blackbooty
    This user has no status
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew
    More power is always good - if your car is in decent nick and everything works as it should go for the 304 - if your a little worried about things like turbo or gearbox go with the 280.
    cheers andrew,was basically after a yes or no on the 304 remap with the auto box.
    seems like its ok if box is in good order,which it apears to be.
    304 it is then.

blackbooty
    This user has no status
    Quote Originally Posted by dave850R
    AT is usually a little more expensive than the manuals when they go wrong. My top tip would be to change your ATF regardless of upgrade, as soon as you can.

Both transmission typre are more than strong enough to take the full stage 1 RICA.

I would read our knowledge section and check Bracers Stage 0 tune up to ensure you get best results. 280 is less rewarding on power but it is less fiddly in some respects as you can still run 95 RON with no loss of power. The full on stage 1 RICA will give more power but the car may need extra work to get the most out of it. Don't get me wrong - it might be just fine, but there is only one way to tell.

If you are at all worried about the box then I have a solution for the tuned Auto's -which reduces the heat stress on the ATF, by the fitting off an additional cooler to the system. PM me if you are interested.

Ultimately the choice is up to you - depends what you want out of the car.
    I think the cars are worth taking to the max - making the most of their potential. VT will tell you if anything needs attention on either upgrade. They will be able to answer any questions you have.
    Personally I would go for the big one!
    again dave,you give an answer i can fully understand.
    top marks.
    moneys not a prob,box reliability is.
    the extra cooler for the ATF and the "big one" is the way forward.
    cheers bud.
    i dont know what PM me is tho,or how to do it.

blackbooty
    This user has no status
    Quote Originally Posted by glock19
    I've got the 280, why don't you go for the 304 and we compare notes ? Like Andrew said - more is better and if money is not an issue, I would also go for the 304 so that nothing (no stone) is left unturned....
    cheers mate,304 it is, and as suggested, we'll compare notes.

blackbooty
    This user has no status
    Quote Originally Posted by chriskay
    I've got the 280 on my 1996 auto & am well satisfied. I think everything needs to be A1 to get full value from the 304. Also, the ability to use 95 RON is a bonus.
    Cheers, Chris.
    ta for the info chris,i always used optimax in my saab so the octain option doesnt really apply.
    wayne.

blackbooty
    This user has no status
    Quote Originally Posted by HuskMan
    I just filled the tank with a full 70 litres at Sainsburys and noticed that 95RON was only 2p more less than diesel and premium. (88p and 90p)

So I treated the old girl to some premium.

But the tank cost me more than my first car... a dirty little white Renault 9 with a lorry ding in the right wing and a leaky boot that collected water better than a resevoir.

Anyway, I digress. Seeing as the gas is so expensive either way I think the full wack is the way to go - especially if there is this unproven increase in mpg.
    hi huskman,thanks for answering.
    economy doesnt enter my brain,its all about fun for me.
    its gonna be full whack !
    ps. the word "renault" should be outlawd :-)
    wayne.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    i dont know what PM me is tho,or how to do it.
    Hi mate, a PM is a Private or Personal Message .... if you click on Dave850R's name-link and go to his profile you'll see a link there to send him a private message.
    Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something - Plato

blackbooty
    This user has no status
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyT5
    Hi mate, a PM is a Private or Personal Message .... if you click on Dave850R's name-link and go to his profile you'll see a link there to send him a private message.
    thanks Guy.
    if you read this buddy-am i using the forum correctly,meaning,do i answer every1 individually as i have been or do i answer collectivly? this is the only chat room/forum ive been onto.
    ta wayne.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    thanks Guy.
    if you read this buddy-am i using the forum correctly,meaning,do i answer every1 individually as i have been or do i answer collectivly? this is the only chat room/forum ive been onto.
    ta wayne.
    Wayne mate.... if you answer each individually your post count goes up far more quickly ... watch the moderators and see how they get so many posts in
    Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something - Plato

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I think I'd go for the 280 version - less critical on the motor, will use 95 RON fuel (prices are rising!), and surely 280BHP & loads of torque will be enough to attract the camera flashes!

Fun in the twisties!
    We take the "be polite" rule very seriously!

Thread Information