Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stainesy View Post
    nope no diferant
    oh sh-t sorry to hear that mate

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stainesy View Post
    nope no diferant
    Just one thing that's occurred to me - and it's just organic thought, as opposed to anything I've read recommending it.

I'd guess we're all au fait with the concept of resetting the engine ECU should something be changed that the ECU monitors, so that it can re-learn, and sort out the correct running and idling trims.

OK, so with that in mind, and recognising that the autobox ECU builds up / samples information in terms of slippage and gear engagement over time (factoring in wear and tear into it's algorithms, and so affecting how it performs), and that given that should you do a full flush of the ATF, you've changed the characteristics of a very significant bit that makes the gearbox work.

Accepting that, then, is there mileage in resetting (ie removing and leaving it out of the car for a few hours) the autbox ECU?

I don't know for certain, whether it builds up any information and stores it (to do with wear rates, and gear engagement times) historically, or whether it does it all on the fly, but I would say it's little risk, and is of the same rationale as resetting the engine ECU.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Good afternoon.
    Having checked my handbook 4 speed autos can use either Volvo's synthetic oil or Dexron 3.
    However, 5 speeds must only use Volvo's own oil. Is there any reason why another proprietary make cannot be used?

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by John Dexter View Post
    Good afternoon.
    Having checked my handbook 4 speed autos can use either Volvo's synthetic oil or Dexron 3.
    However, 5 speeds must only use Volvo's own oil. Is there any reason why another proprietary make cannot be used?
    5 speeds must use JWS 3309 spec ATF. I've read some accounts of people using ATF to this spec, that has caused problems, although not read of anyone who's used the Vauxhall JWS 3309 spec ATF who's had a problem with it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Neil For This Useful Post:

John Dexter (Monday 3rd January 2011)

Thread Information