Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

testing wheel hub bearing

thanks everybody for their input on yesterdays question .do any of you know if there is a way to test the bearings for wear?

Trader
    No Longer a trader.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,791 Posts
    The old method was to jack the car up, grab the wheel and try moving the wheel, if you can feel slight movement then there's play in the bearing, not sure if this is still applicable or the best way to check though..
    http://www.airbrushartists.org/Gal72..._s_Gallery.asp

Currently rocking Volvo's finest V70R 2WD Manual

Previous cars:
    1996 855 T5 (Ex Police),1996 854 T5,1996 855 T5,1995 855 Black T-5R,1996 960,1997 855 R

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Tomcat For This Useful Post:

flying brick (Wednesday 30th July 2008)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat View Post
    The old method was to jack the car up, grab the wheel and try moving the wheel, if you can feel slight movement then there's play in the bearing, not sure if this is still applicable or the best way to check though..
    Yes this is the tested method, tho with hub bearings the feel is more difficult to gauge..IMO.....Hub bearings in my experience also tend to whine......
    Cheers
    Jod
    855 rica 304bhp, Adjusted Wastegate, Bleed Valve, ITG Panel Filter, 171k fsh, Volvo Strutt Brace, Polybush Topmount , 4mm Samco Vacuum Hoses, 10 Core "Racing" Ht Leads, 302mm Volvo Discs under 16" Columba Alloys, Performance DS2500 Fronts Red Stuff Rears, Drillled Airbox, 5w/40 Oil Changed @ 5k intervals,

764 B230ET 108k FVSH No mods yet...Planning underway.....

Dum Spiro Spero

VOC 850/70 Register Keeper
    VOC 20419

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jod T5 For This Useful Post:

Trader
    No Longer a trader.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,791 Posts
    I have a feeling one of mine is on it's last legs, it's ok most of the time but if I turn hard I can hear the disc scraping on the pads.
    http://www.airbrushartists.org/Gal72..._s_Gallery.asp

Currently rocking Volvo's finest V70R 2WD Manual

Previous cars:
    1996 855 T5 (Ex Police),1996 854 T5,1996 855 T5,1995 855 Black T-5R,1996 960,1997 855 R

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Tomcat For This Useful Post:

This user has no status
    Thanks
    If you've got a bit of front wheel bearing noise but are having trouble pinpointing which wheel what you can do is (WARNING this is can be dangerous !) jack up the front of the car and support securely on stands. Handbrake on start the car, slip it into gear and bring up the clutch, the wheels will obviously start spinning. Run it up to whatever speed feels safe (50mph should suffice) then out of gear and engine off. The wheels will keep spinning and hopefully you should be able to hear the bearing whine as the speed decreases and work out which side is at fault. You may pop up an ABS light as the system will get confused but it should hopefully reset after a short drive. Wheelbearing noise whilst driving normally follows that if it's louder turning left then a right hand bearing is at fault (the weight shifting increases the loading on that side) and vice versa for the other side.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to nobananas For This Useful Post:

This user has no status
    Thanks
    i had a problem with wheel bearing whine for some time but no matter how many times i jacked it up and checked it there was no play in the wheel.as this is the way i have checked wheel bearings form day dot i was unsure if there was another problem causing the whining.eventually i just changed the suspect bearing hub and all is well.
    it cost £103 inc vat from euro car parts and i had to buy the bolts from volvo [4@£1 each.]it wasnt too hard a job but i did have to grind out the old bolts from the hub carrier.mines a T plate c70.

(WARNING this is can be dangerous !)

ill second that.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ged For This Useful Post:

Thread Information