Join Today

Thread: wheel bearings

This user has no status
    Thanks

wheel bearings

sounds like one of my front bearings is done , says in workshop manual these are supposed to last the cars lifetime is this true, has anybody had to change theres?.........850 t5

This user has no status

Thanks
    I've changed one side, forget which. *I* don't believe they're a lifetime item...

Cheers, Pete
    '97MY black 855R manual M56H
    Porsche/S60R BBK, 17"x8J Pegasus, RIP, Samco coolant & vac, Koni SSK/Nivo, Simota, 15G angle flange, IPD turbo back & HT, MSD coil, chipped, dimming mirror, Goodridge hoses, DOT5.1, V70 rear lights & handles, poly top bush & A arms & tie bar, strut brace, clear repeaters, 6k HID, catch tank, 2x rear brace

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dooby For This Useful Post:

flying brick (Tuesday 29th July 2008)

Suspended
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Ive recently changed the nsf on my 99 V70 with 127k on the clock.

Perhaps you have to throw the car away when the bearings pack up

5. The Following User Says Thank You to snoop69 For This Useful Post:

flying brick (Tuesday 29th July 2008)

This user has no status
    Thanks

Wink

Hi did the front drivers side one you have to replace the whole hub, its just bolted on to the bottom of the strut, unlike most cars you cannot just press the bearing out and press a new one in.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    The bearings are hub bearings not wheel bearings and cannot be purchased separately from the hub. They and are quite costly....a good £70 from PFS......
    Cheers
    jod
    855 rica 304bhp, Adjusted Wastegate, Bleed Valve, ITG Panel Filter, 171k fsh, Volvo Strutt Brace, Polybush Topmount , 4mm Samco Vacuum Hoses, 10 Core "Racing" Ht Leads, 302mm Volvo Discs under 16" Columba Alloys, Performance DS2500 Fronts Red Stuff Rears, Drillled Airbox, 5w/40 Oil Changed @ 5k intervals,

764 B230ET 108k FVSH No mods yet...Planning underway.....

Dum Spiro Spero

VOC 850/70 Register Keeper
    VOC 20419

This user has no status

Thanks
    I've replaced many a wheel bearing on my T5's (not me personally thats what boys are for) so they definately dont come with a lifetime guarantee sadly

x

Trader
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    take it from me, nothing on any car can ever be guaranteed not to fail in a cars life.

(by the way we have sold quite a number of the front hubs over the years, retail around £130 per side approx if i remember right)
    If VOLVO is Your Drug, I am Your Dealer!

FRF FEEDBACK (click here)

Click Here for Info on FRF Motors...

<FOR QUOTES PLEASE CALL 01792 790066 / 01792 784272>

(Mon to Fri 9am to 5pm)

PLEASE QUOTE DISCOUNT CODE: "C3" FOR OUR BEST DISCOUNTED PRICES!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufe View Post
    (by the way we have sold quite a number of the front hubs over the years, retail around £130 per side approx if i remember right)
    This is true Simon, PFS are £70 http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/...oducts_id=3491 tho i cannot guarantee thier quality against a Volvo part.....
    Cheers
    Jod
    855 rica 304bhp, Adjusted Wastegate, Bleed Valve, ITG Panel Filter, 171k fsh, Volvo Strutt Brace, Polybush Topmount , 4mm Samco Vacuum Hoses, 10 Core "Racing" Ht Leads, 302mm Volvo Discs under 16" Columba Alloys, Performance DS2500 Fronts Red Stuff Rears, Drillled Airbox, 5w/40 Oil Changed @ 5k intervals,

Dum Spiro Spero

VOC 20419

This user has no status

Thanks
    GSF website, £67.50 + vat not sure of the quality thou
    1996 855 T-5 in Turquise
    Rica 304 ecu
    K&N Panel Filter
    Goodridge Hoses
    Volvo Strut Brace
    Poly Bushes
    Moved Horns
    17" T-5r Pegs

This user has no status

Thanks
    Hiya,

I've had problems with some of the Scantech rubber parts from PartsForVolvos failing after surprisingly few miles on my car and replaced them with the more expensive genuine Volvo part.

However, the PartsForVolvos front hub (also Scantech) I bought in November 2006 has been on the car since then (about 22k miles with my mileage) and survived a track day. At a recent meet a Volvo technician gave it a clean bill of health and it sailed through its MOT this month. No problems with this part so far.

Cheers, Pete
    Last edited by dooby; Wednesday 30th July 2008 at 13:44.
    Porsche/S60R BBK, 17"x8J Pegasus, RIP, Samco coolant & vac, Koni SSK/Nivo, Simota, 15G angle flange, IPD turbo back & HT, MSD coil, chipped, dimming mirror, Goodridge hoses, DOT5.1, V70 rear lights & handles, poly top bush & A arms & tie bar, strut brace, clear repeaters, 6k HID, catch tank, 2x rear brace

Glad im Back -D
    Thanks
    Ive had to change both sides on my T5 S, 114000 miles, i think the previous owner was a bit of a boy racer and kept spinning the wheels, also had to upgrade the suspension also as this was shot, i got some off a 98 V70 T5 for £50, the wishbones were done last year but i think they were cheapo's as theres a rattling from the front when i go over pot holes so i think the rubbers have gone. Lifetime guarantees on car parts dont exist, how can a lifetime guarantee be put on anything? How long is a lifetime?

1998 C70 T5 GT Auto, 68k, FVSH, Immaculate inside and out, only mod - poly top mount, its Yellow and no pete i didnt paint it, lol

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I've replaced my front nearside hub twice. It will take you about an hour to two to do yourself. If I remember correctly, an 11mm socket will fit the torx bolts on tha back of the knuckle. You'll also need a 3/4" socket and a long breaker bar to get the hub nut offsky. Don't even try it with a 1/2 inch or it will end in tears.
    Thx

Tek

Emo vilis emo bis

2003 V70 SE, 5244 S2, 2.4 24v, 101,000 miles
    Mods: Yatour MP3 CD Emulator

This user has no status
    Thanks
    my off side was making a funy noise after a bit of a boot the otherday...so thats the gear box and hub f*cked.....nice one brains

Quote Originally Posted by ShadeTek View Post
    I've replaced my front nearside hub twice. It will take you about an hour to two to do yourself. If I remember correctly, an 11mm socket will fit the torx bolts on tha back of the knuckle. You'll also need a 3/4" socket and a long breaker bar to get the hub nut offsky. Don't even try it with a 1/2 inch or it will end in tears.
    you make it sound so easy, will consult my Haines maual this eve!! and hold you to that thanks for the tip with the 3/4 socket as i know i would of done that!!!
    "Gdayy Braaaaa....yooouz build for Huricanes aye??"

850R wagon

satin black A4 1.8T Q with a KSo4!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dooby View Post
    Hiya,
    However, the PartsForVolvos front hub (also Scantech) I bought in November 2006 has been on the car since then (about 22k miles with my mileage) and survived a track day.
    Cheers, Pete
    I should bloody well hope so.

Many Volvo wheel bearings survive 3 - 4 years of police persuits inclyding T-pac and ramming other vehicles.

Hardly high expectations for it to survive a track day........ Unless you went banger racing

This user has no status

Thanks
    I guess I was impressed it lasted 20k miles - more than their strut mount upper did...

Point taken though, perhaps I should expect a bit more life out of it before giving it a clean bill of health :-)

Quick, some more miles and another track day!

Cheers, Pete

Trader
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Loadsamiles View Post
    I should bloody well hope so.

Many Volvo wheel bearings survive 3 - 4 years of police persuits inclyding T-pac and ramming other vehicles.

Hardly high expectations for it to survive a track day........ Unless you went banger racing
    yes, but they are not fitted with aftermarket parts, which i think was his point.
    If VOLVO is Your Drug, I am Your Dealer!

FRF FEEDBACK (click here)

Click Here for Info on FRF Motors...

<FOR QUOTES PLEASE CALL 01792 790066 / 01792 784272>

(Mon to Fri 9am to 5pm)

PLEASE QUOTE DISCOUNT CODE: "C3" FOR OUR BEST DISCOUNTED PRICES!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    yes, but they are not fitted with aftermarket parts, which i think was his point.
    And which is my point too!

Braydon's gave me the option when I replaced a rear one... I went genuine for that reason.

However even a pattern part should last more than a track day or two...

Although judging from the wishbone issue... maybe 20K and a track day IS good

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I agree, Dooby was posting his satisfaction at the scan-tech part and the price compared with the cost of a genuine part....
    However i do agree that generally i always opt for genuine parts although a lot of other parts volvo supply are closer in price to those of independant suppliers.....
    Cheers
    Jod

Dum Spiro Spero

VOC 20419

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Jod T5 For This Useful Post:

flying brick (Thursday 7th August 2008)

Thread Information