Join Today
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by volvokid View Post
    What do you do for a living i'd love a 3 day working week lol? I have been reading this thread from the beginning and I’m still waiting to read the part about your work hours.
    im a postaman and my depo has been chosen to be the ginnipig in a new system so now my hors have been cut from 6 days a week to 3 days a week.
    have a job interview tuesday for a better full time job. but i still have to pay £185 pm for the loan i got to buy the T5-R.
    anyways £££££ happens. thanks for all your advice everybody.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Okete View Post
    Yeah, just take the sensible option until things pick up for you!

you don't need to give up being interested in performance cars, just need to cut your cloth accordingly and wait until the good times come back round again.

Good luck!!
    cheers buddy

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Stainsey

May I suggest something?

On motorbikes most of them use semi synthetic oil. If they use fully synthetic it causes clutch slip as fully synth is not meant for the majority of bikes.

Before you chuck the yella why not try a cheap test. Drop the existing oil out, then run a gearbox flusher through then make sure that you re-fill it with the correct stuff, to be sure get it from the local volvo dealer then there can be no doubts.

If it is the wrong oil in the box then there is a chance that the slipping is due to the wrong oil. and if it is the cause then hopefully all things should be put right
    Last edited by freaky fingers; Sunday 27th July 2008 at 14:35.

More cars than a Showroom
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,141 Posts
    That’s not so good. As you said after the yellow bird goes you might manage to save and get a younger model I have a V70R and haven’t had anything big wrong with it touch wood apart from general maintenance, but I don’t drive my car that much I have only done 75 miles in the last 6 months with it lol. I don’t think I would have another one due to the fact there getting old and the general condition of most of them are starting to deteriorate and finding a good one that doesn’t need much spent on it will be hard to find (until my car goes on the market of course lol).
    Thanks
    Martyn

in dilema near ilford
    Thanks

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by freaky fingers View Post
    Stainsey

May I suggest something?

On motorbikes most of them use semi synthetic oil. If they use fully synthetic it causes clutch slip as fully synth is not meant for the majority of bikes.

Before you chuck the yella why not try a cheap test. Drop the existing oil out, then run a gearbox flusher through then make sure that you re-fill it with the correct stuff, to be sure get it from the local volvo dealer then there can be no doubts.

If it is the wrong oil in the box then there is a chance that the slipping is due to the wrong oil. and if it is the cause then all things will remain as they should be

i second that, tis well worth a try!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

in dilema near ilford
    Thanks

Cool auto box

Quote Originally Posted by 5seaterT5x2 View Post
    i second that, tis well worth a try!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i used these guys last year my box died after 3 weeks ;-/ it was a frightening bill.but they came very well recomended.
    hope it's some help.

http://www.automaticman.co.uk/

This user has no status
    Thanks
    i just thought of something. a few weeks before the gearbox started slipping i had a new radiator fitted at a garage. would i have lost gearbox oil when they tok the old one off as it has oil cooler in the radiator?
    if so they may have topped it back up with the rong oil.
    is that a posibility?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Stainsey

stop faffing

change the oil

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stainesy View Post
    i just thought of something. a few weeks before the gearbox started slipping i had a new radiator fitted at a garage. would i have lost gearbox oil when they tok the old one off as it has oil cooler in the radiator?
    if so they may have topped it back up with the rong oil.
    is that a posibility?
    I doubt it you would have lost hardly anything, plus the whole system holds 9 litres IIRC,
    Not slating you here, But are you sure you checked the level hot or cold at the right increment on the dipstick?
    I would double check the level, and stop booting the car then you can keep her until you can afford another box, As i am sure a good secondhand low mileage one will pop up on here or other places,

Gary.

Get a dex III from any car shop, about £8 a gallon,
    V40 2.0T Sport Lux Titanium grey,(03) 133k,standard
    Yamaha R1 5VY,(06) 180bhp/165whp,100nm

This user has no status
    Thanks
    yes have checked the oil level corectly. oil seems fine and no burnt smell. just seemed funny that radiator with autobox oil cooler was changed a week before autobox started slipping.

Trader
    No Longer a trader.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,791 Posts
    There's no sign of any crap in the gearoil is there?, or likewise in the the engine oil?. When the rads go you usually end up with cream in the oil due to water getting into it, not sure if it can get into the gearbox. For the price of it I'd defo change the gearbox oil first.
    http://www.airbrushartists.org/Gal72..._s_Gallery.asp

Currently rocking Volvo's finest V70R 2WD Manual

Previous cars:
    1996 855 T5 (Ex Police),1996 854 T5,1996 855 T5,1995 855 Black T-5R,1996 960,1997 855 R

This user has no status
    Thanks
    yeah have decided to change the gearbox oil when i get the money and chance to do it. and see if its the same.
    if it fixes the problem then will be selling the car.
    if not then im going to take up the person on the offer for the car and cash.

in dilema near ilford
    Thanks

Auto box

Quote Originally Posted by stainesy View Post
    yeah have decided to change the gearbox oil when i get the money and chance to do it. and see if its the same.
    if it fixes the problem then will be selling the car.
    if not then im going to take up the person on the offer for the car and cash.
    Make sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you get the right oil as i've said before mines DEXRON 3 so likely yours is as well.Make sure you do it right and get allllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll the old oil out.

in dilema near ilford
    Thanks

auto box

Quote Originally Posted by 5seaterT5x2 View Post
    Make sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you get the right oil as i've said before mines DEXRON 3 so likely yours is as well.Make sure you do it right and get allllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll the old oil out.

Just found this dunno if it will help.

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=27998

This user has no status
    Thanks
    i no you lot are fed up with me chatin about this but i have one more question that may be relavent.

as iv said there may be a posibility that it has the rong oil in the gearbox.
    i have noticed the car seems to slip alot more after it has been driven a long way on a motorway.
    could this be as the oil in the autobox is hot and isnt working proply as its the rong oil?
    does that point more towards the rong oil theiry that the car slips more when gearbox oil is hotter?
    am going to change oil saturday but wanted to no if that sound more like the rong oil theiry.
    as dont want to wast alot of money on oil if i dont have to

This user has no status
    Thanks
    good luck with sorting it mate sorry i cant add any help other than the things that have already been suggested

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Fully synthetic oil will cause clutch slip under hard acceleration. as the oil gets hot it gets thinnner so is even less suitable.

What this shows if the oil is the wrong type then problems will occur

I am so looking forward to Sunday and a praise the lord momment

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Don't hold your breath!
    Touareg 5.0 V10 TDI
    * WIDESCREEN NAVIGATION * 12 WAY ADJUSTABLE ELECTRIC SEATS * AUTOMATIC BOOT/TAILGATE * HEAT INSULATING TINTED GLASS * VAVONA WOOD TRIM * NAPPA LEATHER * DETACHABLE TOWBAR * PADDLESHIFT TIPTRONIC * 6 DISC CD * BLUETOOTH PHONE

Thread Information