Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

will a 850 t5r manual gearbox fit on my 850 t5

hi im new to this forum .i have had my 850 t5 0n a p plate for some time now great car but ive just been given a manual 850 t5r gearbox with limited slip and was wandering if it is a strait swap for my standard gearbox any help would be much apreciated

This user has no status

Thanks
    Hiya,

yes I think so. Some people have converted automatic cars to manuals and I'm pretty sure also that the bolt pattern and clutch are the same between the 850 manual gearboxes.

HTH, Pete
    '97MY black 855R manual M56H
    Porsche/S60R BBK, 17"x8J Pegasus, RIP, Samco coolant & vac, Koni SSK/Nivo, Simota, 15G angle flange, IPD turbo back & HT, MSD coil, chipped, dimming mirror, Goodridge hoses, DOT5.1, V70 rear lights & handles, poly top bush & A arms & tie bar, strut brace, clear repeaters, 6k HID, catch tank, 2x rear brace

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dooby For This Useful Post:

griff850 (Thursday 24th July 2008)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    The gearbox will definately fit although I'm sure I read somewhere about there being some minor difference regarding a the speedo pick-up but I could be wrong. I'm running a c70 box on mine but I had to convert the clutch slave cylinder to the concentric slave as used in the 70' series.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to nobananas For This Useful Post:

This user has no status
    Thanks
    do the driveshafts fit or do you have to change one of them?

Trader
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Hi,the difference in the speedo pickups is that the 850's changed in 1995 from having the speedo pickup in the gearbox to reading the speed via the n/s front abs sensor,therefore you can use an early box in a late car but not the other way round,as 1995 onwards gearboxes had no speedo pick up.You should have no problem using this box although i was under the impression that it was the 850R that had lsd,not the T5-R.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to readview For This Useful Post:

griff850 (Thursday 24th July 2008),nobananas (Wednesday 23rd July 2008)

This user has no status

Thanks
    i am confused, does the t5r have a torsen diff "friction plates" and can i use my fly wheel clutch etc or do i need the r items .i just want a car that does not spin a wheel as soon as you put any power down out of bends help needed .my main seal has gone in my box "motion shaft seal in box" and was thinking as the box has to come off. mite as well fit the r item .help is needed cheers for the advice so far

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by readview View Post
    Hi,the difference in the speedo pickups is that the 850's changed in 1995 from having the speedo pickup in the gearbox to reading the speed via the n/s front abs sensor,therefore you can use an early box in a late car but not the other way round,as 1995 onwards gearboxes had no speedo pick up.You should have no problem using this box although i was under the impression that it was the 850R that had lsd,not the T5-R.
    Thanks mate, that was what I was thinking about !

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by griff850 View Post
    hi im new to this forum .i have had my 850 t5 0n a p plate for some time now great car but ive just been given a manual 850 t5r gearbox with limited slip and was wandering if it is a strait swap for my standard gearbox any help would be much apreciated
    Hi, the manual 850 T-5R didn't have an LSD as standard - the 850R manual did have a viscous coupling LSD as standard.
    Past Cars
    '91 440
    '98 V70 T5 MTE
    '93 850 T-5
    '98 S70R MTE
    '98 S70R MTE
    '95 960

'03 S60R
    '03 V70R

12. The Following User Says Thank You to IC For This Useful Post:

This user has no status

Thanks
    so is there any diffence between the standard t5 box and the t5r box as i want the limited diff
    cheers ,richard

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by griff850 View Post
    so is there any diffence between the standard t5 box and the t5r box as i want the limited diff
    cheers ,richard
    Hi, afaik the 850 T-5R has the same gearbox as the T-5. The 850R manual has a viscous coupling lsd - as has been said in an earlier post if an 850R gearbox is fitted to a T5-R the speedo will not work as the speedo data is sent from the abs sensor in models from MY 1995 - that's when the 850R started production. The 850 T5-R and the 850R are different car types.

Have you considered fitting a Quaiffe LSD? There is another issue as the 850R lsd gearboxes cannot have a non-oem lsd such as a Quaiffe fitted without some adaption of the gearbox bell housing whereas a standard 850 T-5 gearbox is a simple fit and go. Hope this has been some help!
    Past Cars
    '91 440
    '98 V70 T5 MTE
    '93 850 T-5
    '98 S70R MTE
    '98 S70R MTE
    '95 960

'03 S60R
    '03 V70R

15. The Following User Says Thank You to IC For This Useful Post:

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Dont forget that if you are fitting the M59 box then you will need the O/S driveshaft.

Thread Information