Join Today
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    This user has no status

Thanks
    right componants vs coaxials thisl be a long one
    First a few definitions. A component (sometimes called separate) speaker system consists of multiple separate speaker components. Typically this will be a 4"-6.5" woofer with a 1" tweeter and a an external passive crossover. A coaxial speaker is a similar woofer with a tweeter either suspended on a bridge above the woofer or on a pole that extends through the middle of the woofer. The crossover is typically only a simple capacitor in-line with the tweeter though higher grade coaxials will have outboard crossovers.

Generally component speakers are better than coaxial speakers but that's a manufacturer's decision. It's cheaper to make a coaxial speaker with inferior components than it is to make a cheap component set. Coaxial designs have the advantage of the tweeter and the woofer being mounted very close together (coincident, hence the name coaxial (coincident axes)) which makes all of the sounds come from one point.

Imagine that you're listening to a drum solo. Because the woofer and tweeter are mounted on the same axis, the drum set will sound correct (at least location wise). Now imagine a component set where the installer mounted the woofer in the door and the tweeter in the A-pillar (the piece between the windshield and the front door). Now it's more likely that the snare drum will appear much lower in the vehicle than the cymbal. This can be overcome by mounting the woofer and the tweeter much closer together. The higher quality coaxial speakers are actually component sets where the tweeter has been suspended over the woofer such as in many MB Quart, Boston Acoustics speakers

The bottom line is that you get what you pay for. You can't really compare a £60 coaxial speaker with a £200 component set. However you can compare a £250 coaxial with a £300 component set. The most important things are:

1. Does it sound good to you
    2. Does it fit your vehicle
    3. Does it fit your budget

as for mounting holes sometimes this is hit and miss
    safest bet is to use collars like

hope this is some help to you

2. The Following User Says Thank You to joesc70 For This Useful Post:

y2blade (Friday 25th July 2008)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    thanks for the speaker info

i must say it sounds pretty good on the std speakers but yeah i will be replacing both front and rear door ones pretty soon

i suppose i better start reading up and see whats good and whats not!?!?

This user has no status

Thanks
    ive got some boston acoustics for sale in classified
    alpine
    jl audio
    pioneer
    mb qaurt
    all make great speakers

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanks joesc70 - your thread on components and co-axial speakers was great. Glad to say that i have been thoroughly enlightened!

Is it worth investing in 3-way co-axial speakers instead of a 2-way co-axials? Is there a significant improvement sound quality wise?

This user has no status

Thanks
    yep its worth it price differance isnt rthat major not many companies sell 2 ways anymore just not practical

This user has no status
    Eastbourne, East Sussex (home) and Southampton (uni)
    Thanks
    I've got that headunit in my subaru at the moment. If im honest not got on with it too well, its having trouble with alot of cd's at the moment. Sound quality is good though. Waiting on an ISO so i can git my new sony one:

Just need to make up some 6x9 mounts now so I can put them in and will have a fairly decent sound system. Got that headunit so i can attach my ipod to the aux in on the rear, going to drill a small hole in the tray underneath to feed wire through.

Dave

1995 854 T5 (upsoloute ecu, koni's etc) sold
    1995 855 T5 (rica 304 and lots of other bits) sold
    1994 Subaru Impreza WRX STi v1
    1995 Clio 1.8 RSi (hoping to swap for a t5 at some point)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    oooooo i like that

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gtiteen View Post
    I've got that headunit in my subaru at the moment. If im honest not got on with it too well, its having trouble with alot of cd's at the moment. Sound quality is good though. Waiting on an ISO so i can git my new sony one:

Just need to make up some 6x9 mounts now so I can put them in and will have a fairly decent sound system. Got that headunit so i can attach my ipod to the aux in on the rear, going to drill a small hole in the tray underneath to feed wire through.

Dave
    personally never got on with sony units just my 2p
    as for 6x9s
    scrap them
    in short if you where seing a band live would you stand with your back to the stage gt a decent front setup

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gtiteen View Post

Dave
    Take it you have the band expander to recv englisgh radio channels?

I had this unit and could not get on with it, gave the thing away in the end..

This user has no status
    Thanks
    seen a new jobbie you push your ipod into like an old cassette deck!

whoever thought this up is either mad or a genius!

Haven't decided yet! May scratch an ipod to bits.

hmmm.

You think I know **** nothing! But let me tell you I know **** all!

Thread Information