Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    This user has no status
    Thanks

Changes to create S70R AWD

I would like to know if someone have already done this but i'm interested to do it. I would like to know which are the things i should change in my car and the pieces i should buy!

Thanks

This user has no status
    Thanks
    At a GUESS, and Im no mechanic

Gearbox, Driveshafts, Propshafts, Axels, Engine management system, oh, and possibly dig a long tunnel down the center of the car

If probably easier to buy a V70R, chop the back of the body off, and then get the back end of an S70 shell, and weld it to the front of the V70 shell

OR

Buy an Audi S4

Thankyou, Goodnight....much love

This user has no status
    Thanks
    It would be easier to start with a CD spec S70 AWD and go from there, but it still won't be cheap,
    If you have a auto then you will not have to change the turbo, If you have a manual then they will be different Euro spec, The Yanks never fitted a 18T to the V70R classic,
    So if you are American then

Gary
    V40 2.0T Sport Lux Titanium grey,(03) 133k,standard
    Yamaha R1 5VY,(06) 180bhp/165whp,100nm

Trader
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    the easiest thing would be to buy one of the S70awd's.As far as i know they were only produced in the '99-'00 model year.From there it would be easy to add the awd"R" springs and swap out the engine for the 2.3 T-5 unit or you could just remap and tune the 2.5 LPT that was fitted from factory.
    I do have one for sale if you are interested,'99 "V" reg,full dealer history,one owner from new.
    Last edited by readview; Wednesday 10th September 2008 at 10:51.

Trader
    No Longer a trader.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,791 Posts
    To be honest I wouldn't bother, Volvo's AWD system wasn't the best to start with, hence why the 2wd cars are more sort after.
    http://www.airbrushartists.org/Gal72..._s_Gallery.asp

Currently rocking Volvo's finest V70R 2WD Manual

Previous cars:
    1996 855 T5 (Ex Police),1996 854 T5,1996 855 T5,1995 855 Black T-5R,1996 960,1997 855 R

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Oh Tompussy, Envy's a terrible thing!!!!!!!!! lol!

Trader
    No Longer a trader.
    Thanks
    ???? er........Okaaaay then.

Not envious in the slightest, I'm very happy with my T5R, I'd sooner have it than the later models. The AWD system is cack though...

Previous cars:
    1996 855 T5 (Ex Police),1996 854 T5,1996 855 T5,1995 855 Black T-5R,1996 960,1997 855 R

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    its not cack, it just need's to be looked after, which is very expensive. Lol.

Unfortunately omn the rear axle on an awd is one big unit incorporating the suspension too. I don't a normal s70 has the room to fit it in. That and the tunnel would probably be too small.
    Last edited by Dangerous Dave; Wednesday 10th September 2008 at 21:34.
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

Trader
    This user has no status
    Thanks

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat View Post
    ???? er........Okaaaay then.

Not envious in the slightest, I'm very happy with my T5R, I'd sooner have it than the later models. The AWD system is cack though...
    I also prefer the 850 to the later models,but the awd system is like any other part of a Volvo,if it is maintained correctly it's fine,there are no more inherent weaknesses in this version than the 2 wd,it's just that because there are more components involved there is more to go wrong.One of the best driving experiences i have had was driving a remapped awd "R" for 40 miles or so through welsh country roads,stuck to bends like sh*t to a blanket.I think cack is a bit unfair TC, they do have advantages!

Trader
    No Longer a trader.
    Thanks
    Lol, ok 'Cack' was probably too strong, how about.....er......'Pants'?..

Seriously though I was told that the system was very week and simple things like not rotating tyres would bugger the transfer box up. Or was I miss informed?.

Previous cars:

Trader
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    The tyres all need to be kept within a couple of mill(or less) of each other to avoid excessive wear on the transfer box,this is true,but once over rotating the tyres used to be considered good practice on any car.I do alternate the fronts and rears still on my T5's.Regards it being weak,i have a mate with a subaru and the 4x4 system must be the only thing he has failed to kill so i guess they must be tougher than the Volvo system

This user has no status
    Thanks
    The rear suspension/awd assembly is huge, I will take a pic of the assembly for you tomorrow, you won't believe it would go under a 70 series,

Gary.

PS One of the other main failures of the AWD system is too much torque being put through it.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by siamblue View Post
    The rear suspension/awd assembly is huge, I will take a pic of the assembly for you tomorrow, you won't believe it would go under a 70 series,

Gary.

PS One of the other main failures of the AWD system is too much torque being put through it.
    I'll appreciate it!

Thanks a lot!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Well the thing is, i have 250hp, FWD and even with traction control ON i can't put all my foot down it wouldn't support that, too much power to be in just in front.

To be honest i just like sedan, well i like vans too but i just see myself in a sedan so, next step could be a S60R but never a V70R so, if i like so much the S70R and i would like to have it AWD i have to think very well!

Second, AWD will not lose so much traction and would allow me to put some more hp like 300 or 330, the car would go 0-60 (0-100 km/h) faster and my smile would blind all drivers in highway! This car is my passion (i think that's how you call in UK) i've always dream with it since i was a teenager, and the first time i got it my life change for better!

I don't know if there is many people or not like me but my only, ONLY vicius are cars, and this car is my way out of all problems i have in my life, even if just for some minutes, even for just those 30 seconds i travel in the limit of speedo (about 270) listen to guns n'roses! Those 30 seconds were some of the best moments of my life! Well i have my friend and i take very good moments with them, with my girlfriend but i don't drink smoke or try drugs! lol, the only vicius is this! This car takes my soul to other level and contrary to woman is always there when i want and when i don't want i turn off the key!

AWD is a dream i would like to take but case not i'm very happy anyway right now!
    Last edited by omn; Thursday 11th September 2008 at 17:41.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by omn View Post
    Well the thing is, i have 250hp, FWD and even with traction control ON i can't put all my foot down it wouldn't support that, too much power to be in just in front.

To be honest i just like sedan, well i like vans too but i just see myself in a sedan so, next step could be a S60R but never a V70R so, if i like so much the S70R and i would like to have it AWD i have to think very well!

Second, AWD will not lose so much traction and would allow me to put some more hp like 300 or 330, the car would go 0-60 (0-100 km/h) faster and my smile would blind all drivers in highway! This car is my passion (i think that's how you call in UK) i've always dream with it since i was a teenager, and the first time i got it my life change for better!

I don't know if there is many people or not like me but my only, ONLY vicius are cars, and this car is my way out of all problems i have in my life, even if just for some minutes, even for just those 30 seconds i travel in the limit of speedo (about 270) listen to guns n'roses! Those 30 seconds were some of the best moments of my life! Well i have my friend and i take very good moments with them, with my girlfriend but i don't drink smoke or try drugs! lol, the only vicius is this! This car takes my soul to other level and contrary to woman is always there when i want and when i don't want i turn off the key!

AWD is a dream i would like to take but case not i'm very happy anyway right now!
    I put more than 270bhp down through the FWD system with no probs, as do a number of other folks. The AWD cars, from a standing start, tend to be slower than the FWD cars. You may want to forget the AWD plan, instead concentrate on getting the best possible setup on the FWD system ( i.e uprated shocks, springs, ARB's). You can get well over 300bhp down in the FWD cars.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    knew I'd seen one on youtube before....

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Q7liyW-Bug[/ame]
    White '98 S70 T5 ME7
    K&N panel filter
    Drilled airbox
    Ported 18T
    Milltek Exhaust
    Dark Anthracite Comets
    'R' Bumper
    2003 C70 Headlights
    Autogauge smoked boost gauge

"Yeh, the T5 and T5R are handy bits of kit for transporting wardrobes across the country at monumental speeds."

New Identity
    Thanks
    It won't take that much abuse for long.......
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.

New Identity
    Thanks
    Some info about awd systems

www.awd.ee

I've just read about the pre-tensioning of the viscous coupling, hmmmmm.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Hi Sorry for the delay with the pictures, here they less shocks springs and rear diff,

As you can see it is quite a lump on the rear of the car, but boy do they handle and put down the power well,

Gary.

New Identity
    Thanks
    Here's a drawing of a complete rear axle

Here's a drawing of the fuel tank, as it is different to a FWD volvo

Thread Information