Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rica question

This user has no status
    Thanks

rica question

just bought a rica 304 of john850t5r, ( many thanks nice deal ), all fitted and seems to drive nice.

how do your rica'd 850s deliver the power ?

mine seems slower in 1st and 2nd than when i had my mbc fitted but cleaner, quicker and without boost cut in the higher gears.

i think i have a small air leak as its holding around 14psi and the needle fluctuates as the power is brought in.

does the ecu need time to settle in ? and could the fact ive got bp 97ron super unleaded left in the tank cause problems ?
    Last edited by brett craig; Wednesday 16th July 2008 at 20:59.

Trader
    No Longer a trader.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,791 Posts
    You won't get the full potential of the remap without running something like optimax, how far over does the needle go on the standard boost gauge?.
    http://www.airbrushartists.org/Gal72..._s_Gallery.asp

Currently rocking Volvo's finest V70R 2WD Manual

Previous cars:
    1996 855 T5 (Ex Police),1996 854 T5,1996 855 T5,1995 855 Black T-5R,1996 960,1997 855 R

This user has no status
    Thanks
    The power delivery on mine seemed far more 'vicious' when I had an MBC fitted even though I only had it set to a little over stock boost but apart from that the power delivery does seem more controlled with my Rica 304. I think however you will probably find that power delivery will vary greatly from car to car depending on engine/turbo wear, wastegate settings etc.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    i'm not running the standard gauge just my pillar gauge, bear in mind ive only run the car around the block so not had time to fully test it out.
    it did seem to get better as i went along but just seemed a little lacking from what i expected

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Looks like I'll stick with my MBC setup and adjustable fuel regulator if all I'm looking at is a fluctuating 14psi from a RICA map. Mines running a healthy almost 14 psi as is. It does sound like you have a problem though as I have been in a few Rica'd cars and they were producing 18psi on 97ron fuel from a 304 map.

This user has no status

Thanks
    You'll need to run it in for a few miles before it sorts itself out and you can get a true idea of what its like

x

This user has no status
    Thanks
    had a feeling that it may have been a time and / or fuel problem, think its that kid and xmas feeling i had lol

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan M View Post
    Looks like I'll stick with my MBC setup and adjustable fuel regulator if all I'm looking at is a fluctuating 14psi from a RICA map. Mines running a healthy almost 14 psi as is. It does sound like you have a problem though as I have been in a few Rica'd cars and they were producing 18psi on 97ron fuel from a 304 map.
    i'm certainly happier with the rica as its sorted all my cut problems, from the comments ive recieved i think that the power will increase and any fluctuating will steady with a few miles under its belt

This user has no status

Thanks
    Hey glad you like it, could always try a stage zero service. My actuator was also adjusted, but not sure how much! the rica made a huge difference in my car!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    only question is how to adjust the actuator ?, i dont have a gauge or pump so would have to be a set amount of turns, also done a stage zero but not the cap, arm and leads

This user has no status
    Thanks
    ok update for you, did a 40 mile trip today so its now had time to settle and this is what i found......

1st gear, smooth power 12psi
    2nd gear smooth power ( no wheelspin ) 12psi
    3rd gear smooth power 14psi
    4th gear surging power between 10psi and 15psi
    5th gear surging power between 10psi and 15psi

its almost like its trying to feed the power in higher gears, but after reading peaples comments about 80mph wheelspin, and like a rocket up its arse i expected more.

does this sound about right for a 304 ? or is it still sounding a little lacking ?

This user has no status

Thanks
    Doesn't sound like the Rica'd cars I have owned. How old are your plugs? Have you checked your hoses for an airleak?

x

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 2,643 Times in 1,928 Posts
    I had mine done by RT's and it was like a completely different car afterwards! The boost gauge goes off the white section and doesn't lean boost at all throughout the rev range I run it on nothing apart from V Power and the boost control is all still factory i.e. no mbc. From what I have heard they are supposed to run approx. 1.2 bar of boost?? So your 14 p.s.i is slightly off that. Before I had the Rica fitted I had a full stage zero tune done to the car and since the Rica was fitted I have also had a replacement wastegate actuator so probably helps the boost level to remain constant throughout the rev range.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    plugs were changed 2 weeks ago, have not done the leads or dizzy/rotor though.

changed all the bcs pipes for 4mm silicone hose

have got a knackered rubber elbow on the left side of the inlet manifold though

thats about the only faults i can find

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by brett craig View Post
    plugs were changed 2 weeks ago, have not done the leads or dizzy/rotor though.

changed all the bcs pipes for 4mm silicone hose

have got a knackered rubber elbow on the left side of the inlet manifold though

thats about the only faults i can find
    Hi Brett

Just thought i would say for your engine's safety get some one that knows there volvos to properly set up the car checking fuel pressure/boost/Afr and the rest of the car before you do any damage,the car needs to be A1 before its tuned

By the way what plugs did you use ???

Russ
    Last edited by RT MECHANICS; Thursday 17th July 2008 at 21:05. Reason: more info
    LOOK at our project :
    http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16301
    591 BHP 524 Ftlbs torque so far
    The Most Powerful T5 in the UK

This user has no status
    Thanks
    hello thanks for the reply, the plugs i used were bosch YTTRIUM, but question if that was the right move. maybe genuine would be better ?
    have now ordered dizzy cap, rotor arm and leads, and intend to take it off the road until the problem is solved. certainly dont want the car to self destruct

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by brett craig View Post
    hello thanks for the reply, the plugs i used were bosch YTTRIUM, but question if that was the right move. maybe genuine would be better ?
    have now ordered dizzy cap, rotor arm and leads, and intend to take it off the road until the problem is solved. certainly dont want the car to self destruct
    Hi Brett

No problem use proper volvo ones only i do in my car and run 2.3 bar use volvo leads and cap/rotor do you have a decent tuner in your part of the country ???

Russ
    LOOK at our project :
    http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16301
    591 BHP 524 Ftlbs torque so far
    The Most Powerful T5 in the UK

This user has no status
    Thanks
    tuners are in short supply around here lol, i did order genuine leads,cap and rotor and will go to volvo myself tommorow and get proper plugs.
    when i removed the last set it seemed to be running spot on, and cant say ive noticed any change, but in hindsight if the problem was already there then i wouldnt see a change !

will also get some soapy water around the engine and search for any hidden leaks

This user has no status
    Thanks
    well the new leads arrived today so rushed out to fit them, took car for a few miles to warm up and then found some open ( private ) road. put her in 2nd and got the following results

2nd gear 15psi and nowt but wheelspin
    3rd gear 15psi and head slammed into headrest, then had to lift off through fear of the approaching hedge.
    4th gear 15psi and repeat of the above minus the hedge
    5th gear 15psi and a motorbike gave up and moved out of my way

all without surging !!! cant wait for the plugs/ cap / rotor arm to arrive now

is 15psi about right for a 304 ?

either way i'm one very happy bloke

This user has no status
    Thanks
    14.5psi is 1 bar. So 1.2 bar is 17.4 psi. Thats going on what people have put up regarding their approximate boost figures.

Thread Information