Join Today
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TenaciousC View Post

I have flushed the cooling system a couple of times and ran the engine in between, and the amount of mayo in the water seems to be lessening. However it seems to be very adherent. Is there some additive which might help remove it? Is this stuff very harmful to the water pump?
    Have you flushed out the expension tank during the flushes...
    As with you i would expect the mayo to have disappeared after 3 flushes..., however getting rid of oil is a difficult task and it may need some extra help tho, http://www.forteuk.co.uk/Bio_degreaser.htm may be helpful....
    Cheers
    jod
    855 rica 304bhp, Adjusted Wastegate, Bleed Valve, ITG Panel Filter, 171k fsh, Volvo Strutt Brace, Polybush Topmount , 4mm Samco Vacuum Hoses, 10 Core "Racing" Ht Leads, 302mm Volvo Discs under 16" Columba Alloys, Performance DS2500 Fronts Red Stuff Rears, Drillled Airbox, 5w/40 Oil Changed @ 5k intervals,

764 B230ET 108k FVSH No mods yet...Planning underway.....

Dum Spiro Spero

VOC 850/70 Register Keeper
    VOC 20419

Forced aspirations
    Thanks

A question of timing

Driving the car... seems to feel underpowered.

My suspicion is that I have messed up on the timing.

I had great difficulty in seeing the timing notch on the crank shaft sprocket. Since I had the head off, so I marked the sprocket in a more visible location at piston 1 TDC and used this to line up the timing.

Having thought about this... it seems what I have done is wrong, as the timing is normally retarded to something like 10 degrees before top dead centre.

Can someone confirm that this is the case and also confirm the correct number of degrees before TDC?

Cheers

C
    Last edited by TenaciousC; Wednesday 13th August 2008 at 12:46.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Driving the car... seems to feel underpowered.

My suspicion is that I have messed up on the timing.

I had great difficulty in seeing the timing notch on the crank shaft sprocket. Since I had the head off, so I marked the sprocket in a more visible location at piston 1 TDC and used this to line up the timing.

Having thought about this... it seems what I have done is wrong, as the timing is normally retarded to something like 10 degrees before top dead centre.

Can someone confirm that this is the case and also confirm the correct number of degrees before TDC?

Cheers

C
    Sorry but i am very confused...Did you look at the link to the volvoforums link i posted earlier...?..its a bit late now as the forum is temporarilly down..
    The crank mark is difficult to see but with a torch there is a clear difference between the V mark and the U's.....Make sure piston 1 is a tdc by feeling for the top of the piston head with a screwdriver to make sure it is high....

Line this up with the cam markings....

re frit the belt, pull the tensioner retaining pin and your away.....
    Cheers
    Jod
    Last edited by Jod T5; Wednesday 13th August 2008 at 17:36.
    855 rica 304bhp, Adjusted Wastegate, Bleed Valve, ITG Panel Filter, 171k fsh, Volvo Strutt Brace, Polybush Topmount , 4mm Samco Vacuum Hoses, 10 Core "Racing" Ht Leads, 302mm Volvo Discs under 16" Columba Alloys, Performance DS2500 Fronts Red Stuff Rears, Drillled Airbox, 5w/40 Oil Changed @ 5k intervals,

Dum Spiro Spero

VOC 20419

Forced aspirations
    Thanks
    Thanks Jod- no I did indeed look at the links, but struggled to see the notched tooth. I'll try and ask the question a different way.... if the the notch is lined up, is that same as piston 1 @ TDC? ... or is the notch piston1 10degrees BTDC?

Cheers

C

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanks Jod- no I did indeed look at the links, but struggled to see the notched tooth. I'll try and ask the question a different way.... if the the notch is lined up, is that same as piston 1 @ TDC? ... or is the notch piston1 10degrees BTDC?

Cheers

C

Hi C,
    Sorry but i stil dont see what part the degree before TDC plays in the equation..The ecu controls any timing adjustments...

The picture below should point out the V shaped TDC signal better, the marking on the engine is hidden by the tensioner wheel arm......

Cheers
    Jod
    Last edited by Jod T5; Wednesday 13th August 2008 at 17:36.

Dum Spiro Spero

VOC 20419

Forced aspirations
    Thanks
    Cheers Jod

I looked around on the Internet and there are other posts in forums which suggest that the sprocket timing mark is indeed TDC. So my theory that it may be btdc is appears invalid.

http://volvoforums.com/m_103071/mpage_2/key_/tm.htm

The link above suggests (as you did) to find TDC (if the mark is too indistinct) by using a thin screwdriver down the spark plug hole to feel for the piston at the top of the cylinder.

Anyway now that I know the timing is OK, what else might be causing the lack of power?

Cheers

C

Trader
    No Longer a trader.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,791 Posts
    The timing mark on the bottom pulley is a pig to see, it is in fact a little notch in between two of the teeth, not as you would think on one of the teeth. It is easy to mess the timing up, I did it on mine when I replaced the belt, I ended up with one of the cams a tooth or so out.
    http://www.airbrushartists.org/Gal72..._s_Gallery.asp

Currently rocking Volvo's finest V70R 2WD Manual

Previous cars:
    1996 855 T5 (Ex Police),1996 854 T5,1996 855 T5,1995 855 Black T-5R,1996 960,1997 855 R

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Cheers Jod

I looked around on the Internet and there are other posts in forums which suggest that the sprocket timing mark is indeed TDC. So my theory that it may be btdc is appears invalid.

http://volvoforums.com/m_103071/mpage_2/key_/tm.htm

The link above suggests (as you did) to find TDC (if the mark is too indistinct) by using a thin screwdriver down the spark plug hole to feel for the piston at the top of the cylinder.

Anyway now that I know the timing is OK, what else might be causing the lack of power?

Cheers

C
    Have you checked for DTC's?
    Does it happen with the engine hot/cold or both?

The General causes will be..
    Timing retard due to knock
    Faulty Distributer cap or rotor
    Damaged or incorrectly installed HT leads
    Shagged air intake filter
    Uneven compression (i hope not...)
    Low fuel pressure/dodgy relay...
    Blocked or incorrectly installed exhaust system
    Other sensor issue (dtc should tell)

Cheers
    Jod

Dum Spiro Spero

VOC 20419

Forced aspirations
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat View Post
    The timing mark on the bottom pulley is a pig to see, it is in fact a little notch in between two of the teeth, not as you would think on one of the teeth. It is easy to mess the timing up, I did it on mine when I replaced the belt, I ended up with one of the cams a tooth or so out.
    What symptoms did the timing being out produce for you?

C

Forced aspirations
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jod T5 View Post
    Have you checked for DTC's?
    Does it happen with the engine hot/cold or both?
    DTC's - I have no reader machine to plug in

It seems to be a little worse when cold

We can rule out air filter, HT leads, & compression straight away.

How can I read the DTC codes?

C

This user has no status
    Thanks
    DTC's - I have no reader machine to plug in

It seems to be a little worse when cold

We can rule out air filter, HT leads, & compression straight away.

How can I read the DTC codes?

C
    What year is your motor?
    Cheers
    Jod

Dum Spiro Spero

VOC 20419

Forced aspirations
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jod T5 View Post
    What year is your motor?
    Cheers
    Jod
    1996 N Reg

C

This user has no status
    Thanks
    1996 N Reg

C
    Then you will need to manufacture a code reader.... http://www.swedishcarforumsandmainte...irs/dtcph2.htm
    Cheers
    Jod

Dum Spiro Spero

VOC 20419

Forced aspirations
    Thanks
    Cheers again Jod ....like it.... I'll get my soldering iron out!

Just got back from MOT. failed on an antiroll bar drop link..... Easily sorted.

Now a new disaster.... big puddle of power steering fluid forming under right hand side of rack..... level has gone down in reservoir.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Cheers again Jod ....like it.... I'll get my soldering iron out!

Just got back from MOT. failed on an antiroll bar drop link..... Easily sorted.

Now a new disaster.... big puddle of power steering fluid forming under right hand side of rack..... level has gone down in reservoir.

Its a very easy thing to make, infact i used to sell them for a tenner on ebay..lol, boxed....
    ARB drop links are a sinch, dont forget you need a spanner to hold the ball joint steady while you unscrew the nut with a socket.....!!

Personally i hate steering racks, im sorry but they are a pain in the ass...replacement needs the rear of the subframe dropping to get the bast@rd out...You could try a repair such as THIS but tbh sounds like its had it to me....

Cheers
    Jod

Dum Spiro Spero

VOC 20419

Thread Information