Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Petrol...?

This user has no status

Thanks

Petrol...?

I drive a V70 T5, with a 299 bhp BSR conversion. My general home-to-work-and-pottering-about mpg is 25-26 mpg. I habitually run on Sainsburys 97 RON petrol. I know, I know, but I live a couple of miles from a supermarket and it'd convenient and cheap.

I recently ran down to the south coast, and had an 800 mile round-trip. Journey down, I ran a tank of Tesco 99 RON. I occasionally use it, but I generally find it's not good at delivering good mpg.. Got 25.6mpg, travelling at 85-95 most of the way, cruising on motorway/A roads.

On the way back, filled up with Shell 95 RON, as there was nothing else available. Same conditions, route, driving style, speed etc. Got 27.5 mpg...?!?

Does anyone find that certain fuels are better than others? The Tesco 99RON seems to provide a very smooth run, but crappy mpg.. Sainsbury's 97 RON is the same, but better mpg. Total 97 RON is similar to Sainsbury's stuff.

I would be interested to hear anyone's thoughts and experiences. Conventional wisdom says it shouldn't make much difference, but a change in petrol seems to have an appreciable effect. The Tesco 99 RON lierally seems to be 2-3 mpg worse over a full tank..?

Only forecourts near to me are Sainsburys, tesco (with the 99 RON petrol), Total, and a Shell, which is a bit of a trek. There is also a Murco forecourt near to work...
    V70N 2001 T5 SE.
    Blue
    BSR 299bhp

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mat562be For This Useful Post:

Loadsamiles (Thursday 3rd July 2008)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mat562be
    I drive a V70 T5, with a 299 bhp BSR conversion. My general home-to-work-and-pottering-about mpg is 25-26 mpg. I habitually run on Sainsburys 97 RON petrol. I know, I know, but I live a couple of miles from a supermarket and it'd convenient and cheap.

I recently ran down to the south coast, and had an 800 mile round-trip. Journey down, I ran a tank of Tesco 99 RON. I occasionally use it, but I generally find it's not good at delivering good mpg.. Got 25.6mpg, travelling at 85-95 most of the way, cruising on motorway/A roads.

On the way back, filled up with Shell 95 RON, as there was nothing else available. Same conditions, route, driving style, speed etc. Got 27.5 mpg...?!?

Does anyone find that certain fuels are better than others? The Tesco 99RON seems to provide a very smooth run, but crappy mpg.. Sainsbury's 97 RON is the same, but better mpg. Total 97 RON is similar to Sainsbury's stuff.

I would be interested to hear anyone's thoughts and experiences. Conventional wisdom says it shouldn't make much difference, but a change in petrol seems to have an appreciable effect. The Tesco 99 RON lierally seems to be 2-3 mpg worse over a full tank..?

Only forecourts near to me are Sainsburys, tesco (with the 99 RON petrol), Total, and a Shell, which is a bit of a trek. There is also a Murco forecourt near to work...
    Tesco 99 will generally be worse on economy than say Shell V Power and Optimax. When I have a little spare time, I will explain why, with a little bit of science.

Adam.

Andrew
    This user has no status
    Surely - a lot of this can't really be measured any where but in a lab? it's down to driving technique and hills/roads etc.

I use 99RON all the time for example - and generally on day to day drive get 22-24mpg. However if I fill up and drive conservativly I can get it up to 28mpg fairly easily - i just keep the revs down.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew
    Surely - a lot of this can't really be measured any where but in a lab? it's down to driving technique and hills/roads etc.

I use 99RON all the time for example - and generally on day to day drive get 22-24mpg. However if I fill up and drive conservativly I can get it up to 28mpg fairly easily - i just keep the revs down.
    It's not the RON that's responsible for the economy drop!

Adam.

This user has no status

Thanks

I agree. But, having used Tesco 99 sporadically since it became available in my area, I always find it's about 2 mpg worse than other high-octane petrols, all other variables being equal. A friend told me that the bioethanol, used to boost the RON is the culprit.

I don't wnt to start an argument.. I'm just genuinely curious as to the differences in fuels and the whys and wherefors..
    V70N 2001 T5 SE.
    Blue
    BSR 299bhp

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mat562be For This Useful Post:

Andrew
    This user has no status
    Quote Originally Posted by volvotuning
    It's not the RON that's responsible for the economy drop!

Adam.
    Exactly - the point I was trying to make is it's difficult to accuratly tell the MPG differences in a fuel outside of a lab with controlled conditions.
    Last edited by Andrew; Monday 9th October 2006 at 14:50.

Andrew
    This user has no status
    Yeah it wouldn't supprise me. But if it's economy you're after get a tractor otherwise stick 99ron in get a custom tune and drive on

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Exactly - the point I was trying to make is it's difficult to accuratly tell the MPG differences in a fuel outside of a lap with controlled conditions.
    Yes that is very true!

Adam.

This user has no status

Thanks
    why is everyone getting more mpg than my stock S60 2.4T 21mpg is a good day now....

12. The Following User Says Thank You to nealer For This Useful Post:

Andrew
    This user has no status
    Done a stage 0 ?

Suspended
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Have a 51 plate v70 t5 geartronic & use tesco 97 ,only done about 500 miles since I bought it & all local mileage now showing average of 18.6 mpg.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to blackwolf t5 For This Useful Post:

Need to sell the car swimbo
    says so
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by blackwolf t5
    Have a 51 plate v70 t5 geartronic & use tesco 97 ,only done about 500 miles since I bought it & all local mileage now showing average of 18.6 mpg.
    Ouch that hurts

I average 22 mpg on just local trips on standard unleaded but if i stick in shell v-power as it is now i get 28 mpg for the same journeys but then mine is a manual and auto`s will eat a bit more juice but i wouldn`t think it would be that much unless of course you have a lead right foot

Cheers

stuart
    Stuart

P2 V70 T5 in explod white running 17 " orpheus alloys , full leather interior , HU 803 with prologic amp

17. The Following User Says Thank You to t5owner For This Useful Post:

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mat562be
    There are several answers, one of which is to do with the fact that higher-RON fuel has a predetermined shelf-life, normally around 2 weeks, so fresh fuel will always be more responsive than fuel that's sat in a local back-street garage for 2 months.

The other answer is that the newer generation fuels are more responsive, RON for RON, as they have additional additives; the more responsive the fuel, the less you need to press on the loud pedal for the same effect when you're on light throttle.

I also have a Clio 172, the difference in cheap petrol compared to decent 97/98 RON is instantly noticeable in throttle response, so the point where 95 RON gets around 35mpg on a tank, with 97/98 RON nearer 38mpg.

It's purely down to me not having to give as much loud pedal to maintain speed, so it's perception more than actual science.

Regards

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Mad955i For This Useful Post:

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by blackwolf t5 View Post
    Hello Im Sid ive a 2000 X v70 t5 geartronic and I get 17.5 MPG around town, fill up with Total Unleaded spending more than £40 on petrol per week
    Last edited by HSS786; Thursday 3rd July 2008 at 21:07.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to HSS786 For This Useful Post:

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Is it an auto?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    yes it is the Semi-auto called Geartronic

This user has no status

Thanks
    I get about 18MPG from my 2.4T auto around town too, always use V Power. Over the weekend I did a trip from London to Cambridge then Leicester so decided to see the best economy I could get out of it was. Averaged 32MPG!! Unlikely I'll drive like that again though.

cruising along on the crest of
    a 70...

Thanks
    Three letters guys

LPG

22/23 mpg at 85 at 51p/litre

(V70 2.3 T5 engined auto)

Trader
    No Longer a trader.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,791 Posts
    Your not going to see much more than that around town, wether its auto or manual, it's the only down side of owning a T5. Get it on a motorway though and you should see more like 30mpg.
    http://www.airbrushartists.org/Gal72..._s_Gallery.asp

Currently rocking Volvo's finest V70R 2WD Manual

Previous cars:
    1996 855 T5 (Ex Police),1996 854 T5,1996 855 T5,1995 855 Black T-5R,1996 960,1997 855 R

This user has no status
    Thanks
    The joys of owning a T5, lol.

Thread Information