Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

nsf suspension knock.

as above my 1999 v70 awd auto has developed a knock/clunk from the nsf suspension.has done 96k if that helps.
    car has just had a mot with no play found and had both anti roll bar drop links replaced as they were both slightly worn.
    the noise only happens when turning right but not left so dont think its drive shaft related.
    when bouncing the car with bonnet up i cant see any excess movement in either strut top mountings.
    any ideas before it starts getting to just replacing parts?
    also every now and then when driving the nsf [thats where it feels like its coming from] gives a vibration similar to going over a rumble strip/cattle grid?
    any one had a similar prob???

thanks in advance rob
    its not broke its airing its diff!
    owner of a 2001 phase 2 v70 t5 auto!

This user has no status

Thanks
    I'd start by whipping the front strut out and inspecting it - I did with with my p2 v70 and found that the strut top mount lower items are cracking around the rubber... No way I'd have found this without removing and inspecting the struts

This user has no status
    Thanks
    i had a similar problem. Knocking when going round islands, but never when turning left. Turned out to me the bearing on the strut top mounts that had gone.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    cheers chaps will lower the strut and take a look see at the top bearing will let you know what i find.

rob
    its not broke its airing its diff!
    owner of a 2001 phase 2 v70 t5 auto!

Singing in the rain!
    Thanks
    I had similar and it was the rubber in the strut top mount that had gone! Hope you find it we've had a couple of similar with taxi's at work, with them it was the top mount bearing, bloody vectra's!
    "I am never wrong! Just in a position to learn something new!"
    Mods so far, HLM ReMap, Goodridge brake lines, Eibach springs lowering 35mm, K&N57i filter with cold air, Strut brace, Shark fin aerial, Boost guage
    YES IT'S A DIESEL
    Wish list, BOV, 18" rims, Struts, Stainless exhaust, Injector Upgrade, MORE POWER!

This user has no status

Thanks
    I also had similar, replaced lower wisher wishbone and top mount but still made a clonk - although this made a noise when going over bumps. I then treated myself to a new shock as that was all that was left to replace! Turns out the otherone was totally gone. Again, as per 'itguy', stripping it down is the only way to know for sure.

Good luck! David

Old Fart
    Weston on the Mud Somerset or in it if you get the tide wrong.
    Thanks
    Once again the forum comes up trumps, I was going to ask about the same thing. So now I know I can get it sorted, cheers guys.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigrobv70 View Post
    as above my 1999 v70 awd auto has developed a knock/clunk from the nsf suspension.has done 96k if that helps.
    car has just had a mot with no play found and had both anti roll bar drop links replaced as they were both slightly worn.
    the noise only happens when turning right but not left so dont think its drive shaft related.
    when bouncing the car with bonnet up i cant see any excess movement in either strut top mountings.
    any ideas before it starts getting to just replacing parts?
    also every now and then when driving the nsf [thats where it feels like its coming from] gives a vibration similar to going over a rumble strip/cattle grid?
    any one had a similar prob???

thanks in advance rob
    Hey Rob,

Did you get sorted? I've had almost exactly the same issues with my 850. The 'cattle grid' rattle I experienced (normally at motorway speeds) was found to be the passenger side trackrod end that had excessive play and a drop link past its best - replacing it sorted that out, but in doing so I started getting a 'chinking' noise from the drivers side front (I think) when going slow over cobbles/bumps etc. The mechanic I used (family friend) only replaced the trackrod end and drop link on the side that had the problem, so I'm going to replace the other droplink this week coming, funds allowing.

I'd be interested to know what you've found, but hope this is of use.
    Cheers
    Bob.
    Bob
    850 T5 saloon

Powerflow Exhaust | Drilled & Grooved disks (rear) | ABS ECU repaired | Alloys refurbed | Strut brace fitted | Poly Top engine bush | Replaced front quarter panel | Replaced Front Passenger Door |PCV system replaced | ITG Panel filter | New radiator fitted | 302mm Drilled & Grooved disks (Front) | EBC Pads | Drop links |VPCUK Sticker

Thread Information