Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

2.4t vs T5 just ecu ?

Hi all

I'm looking for a 1999 ish V70 2.4T idealy manual, however I have found a 1999 T5 which I quite like the look of. The only reason I would rather have the 2.4t is I mainly drive round town so the power is enough for my needs and the fuel economy might be better.

questions

Is a 2.4t better than a T5 on fuel?
    Other than higher boost (ecu) and alloy wheels, spoilers etc is there any other difference ie. bigger turbo, uprated brakes, stiffer suspension.

Power delivery. If the T5 has a bigger turbo does the boost come in one big serge at 3k lighting the wheels up, where as a 2.4t with a ?smaller turbo? have a smoother delivery but runs out of puff at the top end. speculating here.

I'm looking at the T5 tomorrow so any help will be appreciated.

Luke

This user has no status

Thanks
    From memory (someone may tell you I'm talking arse) but the engines and turbo's are different. The T5 is a low compression engine with a high pressure turbo, the 2.4T is a high compression engine with a low pressure turbo.

Boost delivery on the T5 depends on the engine management system. If it's an ME7 then the boost is controlled by demand, if it's a Motronic 4.4 then it's more of an on/off switch.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanks for that

Anyone no how to tell which ecu the T5 I'm looking at has?

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    I think the ME7 was introduced on volvos in 1999. So anything before '99 should be M4.4

The T5 engine produces somewhere in the region of 225BHP, and the 2.4T engine around 193BHP.

I have the LPT engine in my volvo, it has some low end power, but lacks the higher rev punch.
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by windsurferluke View Post
    Thanks for that

Anyone no how to tell which ecu the T5 I'm looking at has?
    4.4 has a throttle cable

me7 doesnt

i have a 2319T5 & a 2435LPT & to be honest fuel wise they are very simular

the T5 is around 22.5 average & when i used to drive the 2435 it was around 24....

idealy the T5 needs to run on super unleaded & the 2435 isnt so fussy

the T5 will be more fun to drive

This user has no status

Thanks

Talking

Thanks for your replys, I'll be on my way to look at the T5 soon. Its a 98 S so I guess it is a Motronic. Havent been excited about buying a car since I got baught a corrado VR6 about 10 years ago

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bomb192uk View Post
    I think the ME7 was introduced on volvos in 1999. So anything before '99 should be M4.4

The T5 engine produces somewhere in the region of 225BHP, and the 2.4T engine around 193BHP.

I have the LPT engine in my volvo, it has some low end power, but lacks the higher rev punch.
    225bhp was the original T5 in the 850, the one the OP is looking at will be a 240bhp one

Thread Information