Join Today

Thread: Whoossssh

If in doubt thrash it and see
    what happens
    Thanks

Question Whoossssh

For want of a better word!

When I hit the gas and the boost builds the normal "whoosh" noise which comes from the turbo is rather louder than it used to be, and suomewhat harsh. I sound like a boy racer. At the same time the car does not feel quite so nippy and the boost is not going off teh scale like it used to - only about 3/4 into the white now.

At a guess I would say its air leak under boost. Normal running seems fine.

Is there any way I can identify where this leak may be, as I clearly cant replicate this sitting on the driveway??

Any helpful ideas welcome - it may need to go on the rollers ??

Cheers

Woz

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Hi mate

have a look at the black pipe that runs from the airbox (MAF) into the turbo itself my clamp came loose on the turbo end, also where the flexible part of the pipe is tends to split too.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Get the turbo system pressure tested with compressed air if you cannot do it yourself. This will show up any air leaks if they are there. Are you running a standard ECU or is it mapped?; as 3/4 up into the white is higher into the white than mine when in standard guise.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Pop the bonnet and havea good nosey for any splitor deteriorated hoses/pipes

x

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Hi Woz, I had a similar problem with mine and it turned out to be the pipe behind the MAF had come off.

Trader
    No Longer a trader.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,791 Posts
    Mine had a split in the pipe that comes off the throttle body, it was split where the smaller pipe come off it. Check all your boost pipes for splits, it's the most probable culprit.
    http://www.airbrushartists.org/Gal72..._s_Gallery.asp

Currently rocking Volvo's finest V70R 2WD Manual

Previous cars:
    1996 855 T5 (Ex Police),1996 854 T5,1996 855 T5,1995 855 Black T-5R,1996 960,1997 855 R

what happens
    Thanks
    Thanks All - have had a good visual inspect, with engine on and off - no luck. Did not think it would be on the "suck" side of the turbo so did not look closely at the MAF - so will go have another go.
    If no luck then I will get itinto the garage as CBA to blank off the intake manifild and get the compressor all fitted up to it. theres too many other little jobs to do.

Will let you know how it goes - thanks for the help.

Woz

what happens
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan M View Post
    Get the turbo system pressure tested with compressed air if you cannot do it yourself. This will show up any air leaks if they are there. Are you running a standard ECU or is it mapped?; as 3/4 up into the white is higher into the white than mine when in standard guise.
    Alan - Its only had a Rica 280 but always holds boost up to the max of the white segment. Had a good poke around last night some of the hoses are soft but none loose or split AFAIK.
    Looks like its a compressed air test at the weekend. The wastegate actuator seems to be a bit squeaky and I can wobble it - is that normal?

Woz

This user has no status

Thanks
    Hiya,

I don't believe it should squeak or in fact wobble at all. Sounds like this is a possible issue to look at.

Mind you, if the diaphram in the wastegate actuator had failed wouldn't it mean you'd overboost? I suppose it might explain the woosh, if pressurised air intended to open the wastegate was escaping past the actuator rod...

Cheers, Pete
    '97MY black 855R manual M56H
    Porsche/S60R BBK, 17"x8J Pegasus, RIP, Samco coolant & vac, Koni SSK/Nivo, Simota, 15G angle flange, IPD turbo back & HT, MSD coil, chipped, dimming mirror, Goodridge hoses, DOT5.1, V70 rear lights & handles, poly top bush & A arms & tie bar, strut brace, clear repeaters, 6k HID, catch tank, 2x rear brace

what happens
    Thanks

Smile

finally got it fixed!!!! No more WHooosh!!!

Started pulling pipes off - atsrted at the turbo end unfortunately - worked "upwijnd" until I got all the pipes pulled off as far as the intercooler I found the culprit - botom hose jubilee clip had rusted through. I giess the early symptoms were the pipe expanding and just blowing past and making my lovely whoosh. Then it must have poped off completely resulting in a complet lack of boost and a "cutting out" sensation. Still pulled away from a pug gti up to 50 - but it was close enough to be embarassing and that has never happened before!! Only the really loud whoosh saved my dignity I think.

So I spend Sunday getting into the guts, sorted it -needed two 70mm clips and now we are lovely again. Had a quick blat with a Scooby the other day - losing just but I was four up with the dog so it did not feel too bad. Petrol consumption back to normal too.

PS dog not happy.
    LOL
    Woz
    Thanks all on here for the tips. I have learned : BIG symptom = simple solution, Big noise = blow side of turbo not suck side.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Good to hear, good find.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Glad u got it sorted my rover coupe used to blow its boost pipe off all the time good find

Thread Information