Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

Unhappy T5 Died - Urgent help

Hi folks

2001 V70 T5, started ok. Switched off and wouldn't start again. Clicking from behind right side of dash and engine light flashing in time with clicks. No other lights on. Won't bump start, but will jump start. However, when jumping battery disconnected the T5 stops again.

Charged battery (took over 24hrs). Central locking and alarm working. Left overnight and whole thing dead again.

Hoping that it is just a total discharge on battery and it won't charge properly due to this, but if anyone can shed some light on this it would be greatly appreciated.

Only car and have a week old baby to get to places.

Cheers

Pedro

AKA Pedroclan

Trader
    No Longer a trader.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,791 Posts
    Does sound like a knackered battery, however there may be something on the car that's draining it over night.
    http://www.airbrushartists.org/Gal72..._s_Gallery.asp

Currently rocking Volvo's finest V70R 2WD Manual

Previous cars:
    1996 855 T5 (Ex Police),1996 854 T5,1996 855 T5,1995 855 Black T-5R,1996 960,1997 855 R

Need to sell the car swimbo
    says so
    Thanks
    24 hrs to charge a battery thats well knacked mate it should take about 8 hours to fully charge even on trickle

Also check the battery for your alarm and siren as if thats flat the car will not do anything as it will be stuck in immobilised mode

Cheers

stuart
    Stuart

P2 V70 T5 in explod white running 17 " orpheus alloys , full leather interior , HU 803 with prologic amp

This user has no status
    Thanks
    As above, sounds like a dead battery. Might be wh calling the AA or RAC out if your a member and get them to check if there is a power drain when the car is switched off. Go through everything you can inside and outsie car checking lights and switches ( anything obvious) to see if there is something left on.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    once the battery is shown as fully charged or replaced lock the car up at night and check it.

It's not unknown sometimes for interior/glovebox/footwell/sunvisor vanity lights or even boot lights to be not securely turned off.

I found one oncewhere the little had toy make up and was putting it on using the vanity mirror and light, she hadn't closed it properly or the contact was dodgy and I woke to find a flat bettery car, took about a day to find it.

Then as mentioned alarms are a known drain

Singing in the rain!
    Thanks
    as above defo a knackered battery mate. remember to check the alternator aswell, make sure it's charging correctly, should read around 14.5v when engine is running.
    "I am never wrong! Just in a position to learn something new!"
    Mods so far, HLM ReMap, Goodridge brake lines, Eibach springs lowering 35mm, K&N57i filter with cold air, Strut brace, Shark fin aerial, Boost guage
    YES IT'S A DIESEL
    Wish list, BOV, 18" rims, Struts, Stainless exhaust, Injector Upgrade, MORE POWER!

This user has no status
    Thanks

Cheers

Thanks for the replies folks. Jumped it yesterday and left the battery hooked up for a little while. Kept going on disconnection so thought I would chance my luck and take it for a spin. Did about 30 miles, stopped for 4 hours or so. Started up again, no problem. Assuming alternator ok as it obviously charged in that distance to start it again some time later. Everything seemed fine except:

1. revs above 1500 or so, the rear screen demist switch led lights up and the fan comes on for the climate control, even with the fan at off.
    2. revs above 2500 or so and the rear screen demist led starts flashing
    3. after a few minutes driving the message 'over voltage stop safely' comes up on the dash

Totally confused. How can a knackered battery be over voltage? Anyway, got to it this morning and the thing is dead again. Nothing left on draining it so looking at a new battery.

Checked batteries online for a replacement and can't find anything like i've got. Mine is a bit of a brute, longer than normal, 90Ah and 800A. Is an ex-plod so maybe they needed a big battery.

What are you guys running in your V70's, and what works well?

Any recommendations greatly appreciated.

Thanks again

Pedro

Thread Information