Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

850 estate rear strut braces

my cars booked in on wednesday for a measure up to have a custom made rear strut brace, similar to the 1 QBM do, chap told me its not going to be expensive but the more he makes the cheaper they will all be. Any interest from here?
    He's planning on making it from 5mm thick tubing with an overall diameter of appx 35mm. with an extra little 'triangle' from tube to end plate to really give it extra strength.
    Rough quote for at least 10 is £55 each. Please reply if you want further details after wednesday.

Thanks.
    .....sooper moose. '97 850R manual. Yum yum.

This user has no status

Thanks
    I know a few people that have the QBM version and they noticed barely any if any improvements at all with this.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Mate , I had one fabricated by a welder not long ago from square tubing and fitted it, it bolted in nice and tight but it made zero difference to the car
    ( looks better than the job it did) ..took it out and tried the same road again and it really was a waste of time and metal, only my opinion and perhaps you should try for yourself but at least you have a heads up on it ....

This user has no status

Thanks
    not arguing with anyone here at all, just curious, but surely with all that empty space in the back i would have thought there'd be a BIG difference with some kind of bracing

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I thought that too but as there is no strut towers to speak of that will flex you are effectively just bracing the speare wheel well!! Try it , you will be shocked!!

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by The Flying Banana
    I thought that too but as there is no strut towers to speak of that will flex you are effectively just bracing the speare wheel well!! Try it , you will be shocked!!

thanks, i'll have a look in the car tomorow morning to see what you mean

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by irf
    thanks, i'll have a look in the car tomorow morning to see what you mean
    Is it an estate you have ( cant make it out on the avatar ) as the brace will only fit in an estate ....the brace will bolt to where the 7 seat conversion seat belts go to

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by The Flying Banana
    Is it an estate you have

yes but will hopefully change avatar and siggy after the weekend as the car should be lowered ie. look a whoe lot more presentable

sorry for the hijack niles. it will be interesting to hear your thoughts when you do get it fitted.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Yeah I gotta say, disappointingly the brace I had fitted in the rear seems 2 have made zero differences in the chassis feel too Although in fairness it is fixed in just 2 places at the mo, n these aren't (believe it or not) the sus' tops...yet! We plan also 2 try n fix it in a further 2 places where it meets the under-side of the rear shelf...looks lush tho Maybe when coupled with all the other sus' work it'll work better, who knows?

Keep us posted with progress on urs Niles

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Is it not to do with force pressure plus or minus, ie plus pressure is acceleration and the minus is drag, therefore the drag has no bearing on the force pressure, however if you decide to go mental in reverse then you may see some result, apart from estates as the aerodynamics are as good as a brick, this class is ended,P.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by irf
    not arguing with anyone here at all, just curious, but surely with all that empty space in the back i would have thought there'd be a BIG difference with some kind of bracing
    Thats what I thought.

This user has no status

Thanks
    so i suppose with the info we do have, there must be some kind of bracing that would have an effect. so if not the streut brace, then what?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    ive heard rear bracing makes no handling differences on these too.i would have made some up outta polished stainless but pointless.
    id use better uprated springs and shox for more roadholding.
    MONDEO SPORTS FABRICATIONS

Volvo S40 T4 CD Phase 1.
    eibachs,td04-16g(mapped),apexi custom induction,twin custom powerflow,100 cell race cat,twin cold feed,cold fan,17" polished rims
    blitz custom boost gauge,twin piston bov,modified mk3 golf gti alloy upper strut,loadsa uprated silicone hoses,
    millers cfs triple ester 10w/60.BLA BLA BLA..
    gagging for rear end polybushing as its £££££e.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Hi Niles if you have had this done I'd be very interested in any pictures you have of it installed and obviously feedback from yourself.

I've been thinking about this for my car but as discussed bracing is good but only if done properly.

Cheers
    1995 850 T5, Auto

MODS
    17" tethys
    BSR Induction kit
    Reverse IC
    Strutt brace
    Poly topmount
    Poly LCA bushes
    302mm Brake conversion
    Braided hoses

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I had a rear brace an old Rover 3500 (Vitesse) V8, there were certain benefits as it was a rear wheel drive, and had about 310 bhp, helped prevent rear end sliding under heavy acceleration from standstill, no ride benefit or shake reduction, mind you the boot was HUGE in these hatchbacks,P.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I may well be very wrong here....But surely if theres not much differance noticed in fitting a rear brace, its because the side pillars and roof are acting as a brace them selves to stop the rear of the car twisting ? as such.

Where as on the front, the struts are quite independent from the main bodyshell/cage, so would be more prone to flexing and thats why we all feel
    a big improvement in the front end, when a front strut brace is fitted.

You all get my drift dont ya...LOL?? DB.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Saffy V70R Auto estate
    --------------------------------------------------

This user has no status
    Thanks
    To a certain point you are pretty near the mark,however, biggest factors (obviously) is whether car is front or rear wheel drive, saloon, hatch or estate, (displacement volumes), more to the point, front brace on rear wheel drive car only shows slight improvement, all to do with + or - force pressure,P.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Once the QBM group buy comes through i shall have a QBM rear brace. Doubt I will see any noticable gains. If you want serious gains, then get in contact with IPD and buy a set of their anti roll bars. That will give the best gain if you've already got new shocks/springs.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Yo peeps Im lost in all this bracing malarky front/rear etc but can I just briefly take this thread ever so slightly off course n say something I have never said b4, n I don't think anyone else has either???

When peeps on here have had a front brace fitted, on pretty much any Volvo (that I've read about anyway?) the results r always mega, mega good! Well is it just me or is it obvious as to why, speaking on behalf of my car anyway, it has a plastic front slam panel assy I can twist the very front of my car with my little fingers, the flex between the wings is ridiculous!!! No wonder a front brace makes such a + difference...can't wait 2 feel mine with it's new brace...erm one day

Right, soz 4 that just wanted 2 see what others thought. Please continue this very interestin rear brace discussion

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Ive got a front brace on my 855, duz make a big difference. Today I got my Poly mounts for the wishbones. Very stiff black powerflex poly bushes. If they do the job the way ppl say they do then Im expecting a major 'tightening up' of the steering etc....Keep you lot posted on that & the brace when its done.

Thread Information