Join Today
    New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts

Tailgate Damper Replacement (the Easy Way)

Back from the depths of the old VPCUK..........

Note this is for 850s and P1 V70s

I needed to replace my tailgate dampers, but the Volvospeed how-to was crap (for lack of a better word) not enough pictures, and no detail of how to actually replace the struts, plus lots of people saying that they’ve had problems attaching the struts

So here is my how-to. It took me 20 minutes (including taking photos and dodging the rain) to do, and is so simple.

What you’ll need:

- 2 x new dampers
    - Torx 25 screwdriver bit
    - 12mm socket, ratchet and long extension
    - A flat head screwdriver
    - Someone or something to hold up your tailgate for a minute or two

That’s it, simple. Here’s a gratuitous pic of what I used…

Step1 – Remove plastic side thingys….

First gently remove the cover on the D-pillar

Now remove the torx screw behind the hook thing (whatever it is used for)

Then pull the trim as shown in the next pic sequence to loosen the side bits

The gently ease the side trim down out of the clips and completely remove the trim piece.

Repeat this process for the other side of the car, then move on to step 2

Step 2 – Remove the damper and install the new one

Ok, now you can see the dampers. Prop the tailgate fully open with something or someone. I used this inanimate object….

Or ‘mom’ as I call her!

Now undo the two bolts on the bracket holding the front of the damper to the body using 12mm socket and ratchet

And twist off the damper from the tailgate hinge by pushing it towards the window

Now separate the bracket from the damper, clip the new damper on (and if it has those clips, insert the clip and lock it around the neck of the damper)

Now clip the damper to the tailgate hinge (and insert the clip if supplied)

Last edited by Dangerous Dave; Sunday 29th January 2012 at 19:45.

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    Ok, now position the bracket over the holes and insert the bolts, don’t tighten them up just yet.

Make sure the tailgate is fully open as far as it will go, then tighten up the bolts on each side. Then your inanimate object can go and make the tea. (haha)

Clip all the trim back into place and put the screw back into the trim.

So there you have it, easier than the volvospeed way, and you even get a cup of tea waiting for you when you get in the house!

One note of warning – when you open the tailgate, be careful as it will rise quickly and bounce at the top, so you might need to hold it to cushion it until it is fully open.

Good luck.

3. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Dangerous Dave For This Useful Post:

claymore (Sunday 3rd January 2010),Flatout Phil (Friday 9th October 2009),flyingbrick (Sunday 15th February 2009),Giles (Tuesday 22nd February 2011),jdavis (Sunday 8th June 2014),jlking (Thursday 11th December 2008),LeeT5 (Thursday 22nd October 2009),PaulZX (Sunday 11th January 2009),Rhys (Sunday 20th September 2009),ShadeTek (Wednesday 31st March 2010),T5 ROB (Monday 6th June 2011),T5arrrgghh (Wednesday 8th April 2009),TenaciousC (Sunday 3rd January 2010),Terminator (Tuesday 3rd February 2009)

Thread Information