Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    This user has no status
    Thanks

Dirty word used in this thread...

Diesel

Ok, most of you will hate me for this and some already know that I'm looking at getting rid of the T5 for a diesel. Dont get me wrong, since the ETM was sorted I love it to bits and am having fun every single day I drive it. AND the SE spec plus all the toys is fab. If money was no object I'd keep it (or upgrade to an R!) But is just does make sense for my business.

I value the knowledge on this forum and would like to ask a few questions...

As I cant find a V70 d5 pre 2002 I presume the 2000-2002 diesels used the older tdi engine?

What are the differences between the 2.4D and the d5 engines? Bearing in mind that it'll be getting the RICA treatment for sure.

Lastly, what are my chances of getting a v70 D5 se for my 2000 v70 T5 se?

Your comments will be appreciated, just be kind!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    The older Audi TDi diesel was used up to 2000, known as the 2.5TDi

In 2001, the D5 (Euro3) came out. It had 163 bhp. Abroad it was also available with 130 bhp and was called a 2.4D.

Then in late 2005, the new D5 (Euro 4) came out with 185 bhp. This new D5 engine is also available with 163 bhp and is called the 2.4D. It's also available with 126 bhp abroad.

I would recommend the D5 and not the old 2.5TDI audi engine.

DIESEL - WISE DECISION!!!

Adam.
    Last edited by volvotuning; Friday 10th November 2006 at 17:41.

No replacement for
    displacement!
    Thanks
    Loving my D5

With decent fuel I'm hitting 42 average mpg, that's all A roads, going as quick as I can when I can

With the Bromsgrove special it pulls to the red line and keeps me smiling.

V70 D5's do carry a price premium over T5's by a couple of thousand from what I've seen.

jim.covers
    This user has no status
    Only had my D5 2 days now... chuffed to bits with it, Boy does it shift.

I' m well impressed, just gotta get used to changing gear at 4500rpm, but it pulls like a train.

For me, the T5 did'nt make sense anymore... gettin 20ish mpg, now its doubled and i'm almost having the same amount of fun.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    have to admit when I come to change mine I will be looking seriously at a D5, as much as I hate the diesel noise I'm beginning to think I might be spending too much on petrol and Gordon Brown doesn't seem to be bothered by my resistance so far anyway...
    White '98 S70 T5 ME7
    K&N panel filter
    Drilled airbox
    Ported 18T
    Milltek Exhaust
    Dark Anthracite Comets
    'R' Bumper
    2003 C70 Headlights
    Autogauge smoked boost gauge

"Yeh, the T5 and T5R are handy bits of kit for transporting wardrobes across the country at monumental speeds."

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Go with the diesel!!!

Miserable old goat !
    Thanks
    The D5 aint a bad car at all..i have one and its a lot of fun to drive...even the cops got D5's now so there must be something good about them apart from being economical..
    road tax i think is cheaper too but am not too sure what other volvos is at the moment ...

cheers
    Mo

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanks all for your comments also Adam for explaining the different engines. I dont feel such a numpty now I know that there are all the different variants.

I'll just try to find an early v70 D5 then.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Good luck with the car hunting im on the lookout for an S60 D5 myself

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I'm thinking about a V70 D5 at the mo. Would need to trade in both my T5 and my company car (04my VW Passat 1.9TDI Trendline, the one with leather seats and the beepy thing that goes off just before you hit the wall behind you) though.

How much do you think I'd get for both? (probably 3 years once the company found out tho). Just can't be bovvered to pay the ludicrous tax rates now, and as I don't do that much private mileage now I can't justify private fuel.
    Swordy21

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time.
    Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
    E. B. White (1899 - 1985)
    My Location
    Done: (To date)

1998 V70 T5 CD.
    Stage 0,
    RICA ECU 310,
    ITG Pro filter,
    Volvo Strut Brace,
    J3 Stealth Boost Gauge
    Zimmerman Front (warped), Brembo Rear Rotors
    PAGID Fast Road Pads
    New Engine Top Mount Bush,
    New CV joints,
    Wobbly ABS Repair,
    PCV hose running repair

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I find its not so much the tax, yes its stupidly expensive but that sort of money is far less than the cost of the petrol per annum.

NOTE: I know this is a performance site and I'm not complaining about our fantastic cars. I love mine every time I drive it. This is just the reasoning for my decision.

This user has no status

Thanks
    I'm not going to give in the Diesel just yet... LPG is being fitted to my T5 in 6 weeks time

The new LPG systems that are out there (BRC, Prins etc) are very *very* advanced and you'll not notice any dip in performance. Sure, you get about 10% less MPG when running on LPG vs Petrol but the cost saving is still almost half.

I can buy LPG for 56p/ltr here in Leicestershire with no shortage of garages selling it too.

Singing in the rain!
    Thanks
    Hey you can't knock diesels! Just look at the lola's and audis at lemans 24hr race they are diesels and are bloody quick to boot!
    I'm grateful to renault for the t3 cdi engine in my v40 it's great with 50mpg and not as noisy as I thought it might be.
    "I am never wrong! Just in a position to learn something new!"
    Mods so far, HLM ReMap, Goodridge brake lines, Eibach springs lowering 35mm, K&N57i filter with cold air, Strut brace, Shark fin aerial, Boost guage
    YES IT'S A DIESEL
    Wish list, BOV, 18" rims, Struts, Stainless exhaust, Injector Upgrade, MORE POWER!

This user has no status

Thanks
    I'm not knocking them as the better half has a 1.4 TDCI fiesta which is very economical.

I had a golf 130 TDI and a audi a4 140 TDI before my T5s and they were both noisy, rough and not a sporting drive.

If driven quickly they also wern't that economical.

I've driven a 185hp D5 geartronic and yes, it was a nice car, but it only averaged 32mpg on mixed driving and that's not a huge margin more than my T5 geartronic.

A 10mpg difference is not too bad to me for the extra HP and the quiet, nice engine note of the T5 rather than the D5.

No replacement for
    displacement!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by itguy View Post
    I'm not knocking them as the better half has a 1.4 TDCI fiesta which is very economical.

I had a golf 130 TDI and a audi a4 140 TDI before my T5s and they were both noisy, rough and not a sporting drive.

If driven quickly they also wern't that economical.

I've driven a 185hp D5 geartronic and yes, it was a nice car, but it only averaged 32mpg on mixed driving and that's not a huge margin more than my T5 geartronic.

A 10mpg difference is not too bad to me for the extra HP and the quiet, nice engine note of the T5 rather than the D5.

These 185's appear to have shocking economy!

The last statement grates on me so much that it proves that I have become a diesel head. You are so wrong if you worry about HP, its all about torque and there is nothing wrong with the sound of my D5 thank you very much, I love it! Not all diesels were born equal! lol

This user has no status

Thanks
    Didn't mean to cause any grating - sorry.

I agree that real world driving is all about torque - but thats why I drive a turbocharged car.

I also agree that the D5 sounds a damn site better than the diesels I've owned before, but to my ears it's just not as nice as a 5cyl petrol.

I'm sure that if the fuel prices continue as they are doing then the days of *any* big power diesel or petrol cars are seriously numbered for the mass market. I have heard though that the 185hp D5 manual transmission is a lot better on the MPG front, always seemed to be the case with the 163hp version too.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Spooky these old threads!

As with Andy, I'm deffo a diesel head. Iv'e had the D5 (51 reg 163) for over a year and loving it with the RICA sportmap which IMHO could be improved but gets 8/10 from me. The T5 was 22mpg ave (trip) and i now get 50 mpg ave (trip). Despite the cost of diseasel it makes sense to me.

The only concern I had with LPG is that it's cheap for a reason, low tax. I bet it'll be just as dear in the future.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I love my diesel as well!!

This user has no status

Thanks
    Yup - agree that the tax on LPG is a small concern in the back of my mind, but it is a fairly mainstream fuel that produces 20% less CO2 than petrol so the government *should* continue to promote it as a greener fuel hopefully.

The duty rises are set until 2011 anyway I think, and I'll get payback in 11 months too if the difference in petrol vs LPG remains at about 60p/ltr.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by VikingT5 View Post
    I love my diesel as well!!
    Shush or everyone will want one.

When I replace my S60 (Euro III, 163), it will be difficult to find a newer car with 50mpg possible. that doesn't sound like a tractor, and pulls as well as the Volvo,

a lot of my mates have diseasels now, and my thoughts after driving them, and their experiences with them are

Vaux/fiat/Alfa/Saab 1.9 150 bhp - 46mpg , sounds rough, not enough torque
    Honda 2.2 cdti - 40mpg- whisper quiet, very smooth, not enough power
    Vaux 3.0v6 cdti- 40 mpg sounds good plenty of torque
    Ford 2.2 tdci - 45 mpg dollops of torque but power short lived, rough sound
    Ford 2.0tdci - 48 mpg- sounds rough
    Audi 3.0TDI - 30-31mpg powerful and sounds good , shocking economy
    VAG 2.0TDI -45mpg- very rough not enough power/torque @ 140bhp
    Jaseb77

S80 D5 SE (now enjoying it more)
    C70 T5 GT (weekend toy)
    S60 D5 SE (gone and i miss it)

Thread Information