Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    This user has no status
    Thanks

Question Bedding-In New Discs and Pads

Good Evening Peeps,

Had the front discs and pads on my V70 T5 upgraded today - 302mm Black Diamond Discs, Black Diamond Predator Pads, S/S Braided Goodridge Pipes and DOT5.1 Fluid.
    Was expecting an instant mindblowing improvement but am a bit disappointed at the moment (might be something to do with the excelent brakes on the Golf GTI the mechanic lent me for the day!!). The brakes on my T5 are no better than they were before they were changed!
    The mechanic has told me to be patient and not to judge them until they have had time to bed-in properly. He also advised me to be relatively gentle on them for the first couple of hundred miles.
    How long does it take for brakes to bed-in properly and is there anything I should be doing to assist the process in the meantime?

Look forward to any advice!

Cheers,
    John.

this member hass no status
    Thanks
    John, try a search - there are a couple of good threads about this. It takes a while, a few hundred miles and you should really do it carefully to get the max out of them.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Should've done that first really!!

Thanks Thunderace - I have now done a search and you are right, there is a good thread describing just my worry!!
    A problem shared!!
    I just need to be patient and try out some of the bedding-in techniques described. Scared to give them too much too soon but will do my best to be careful. Now got to find a quiet, good bit of road for some controlled decelleration!!
    Cheers.

this member hass no status
    Thanks
    happy braking lol

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I have the black diamond predator pads and they took a couple of thousand miles to really start to work properly
    S60 T5 in Black/Dirt

ITG Filter, few HICO styling bits.
    'STILL Considering' the RICA.
    Not much else, yet...

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Hi Dreadly,

A couple of thousand miles!! Blimey, that is a lot !!
    I have done all the 'gentle' bedding-in excecises mentioned in the thread I read elsewhere on this forum and I have to admit the brakes are improving slowly. Either that or I am getting used to them! No, I'm sure they are getting sharper, but a long way off my expectations.
    The trouble is, I have had all sorts of conflicting advice and I am cautiously finding a middle path that makes sense to me.
    Sounds as though I will just have to be patient - good therapy for a T5 driver!!
    I shall keep you peeps posted - I just hope I haven't wasted my money, but it's early days yet.
    Cheers,
    John.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I've no idea where Bassingbourn is but there may be members near yopu that can give you an idea of how there brakes feel in comparison

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Hi m8,

Give ur new brakes at least 300 miles b4 any HAAAARD braking...use only progressive brakin 4 the first 400-500 miles if u really wanna bed 'em in properly. During these first few hundred miles u must also carry out a little left foot (well, kinda?!) brakin, again with some considerable finesse, in order 2 get heat in2 them slowly, any sudden, prolonged or extreme heat at this stage could fubar the set-up considerably!

Im sure someone on here 'll b able 2 explain it better, mine work bl**dy brilliantly tho so I must've done summit right LOL!

Best o luck wi' it all

Mark.
    Last edited by T5SLAVE; Monday 6th November 2006 at 09:16.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Morning All,

Viking - Bassingbourn is on the Cambridgeshire/Hertfordshire border, fairly close to the A1M.
    I shall persevere for the moment and am not yet in despair! It will be useful to try out other peoples brakes once mine have had a chance to reach full efficiency.
    How is the Albino Porpoise running?!!

T5Slave - Thanks for the useful suggestions. Basically what you have said is what I have already been trying to do. The left foot braking idea is interesting - does that mean really gentle braking whilst maintaining speed? That makes sense to me, it would heat up the brakes quite gradually wouldn't it?

Thanks for your suggestions - it is all very useful input.

Cheers,
    John.
    Last edited by Okete; Monday 6th November 2006 at 20:04.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Okete
    Hi Dreadly,
    I shall keep you peeps posted - I just hope I haven't wasted my money, but it's early days yet.
    Cheers,
    John.
    TBH - They are actually starting to work fairly well now, I won't be getting them again though.
    I have just bought a full set of OEM VOLVO disks from Marshall volvo and will be using Ferrodo DS2500 pads when I fit them.
    I have a fair bit of life left in these old disks and pads yet though.
    The way I ended up bedding in my new pads was to take the car up to 120+ then brake down to about 30+ MPH - then repeat about 2-4 times.
    They got very very hot though. - Used a Private road of course
    BTW :- Just got the court summons through for speeding
    S60 T5 in Black/Dirt

Not much else, yet...

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Hi Dreadly,

Thanks for the reassurance - my new brake set-up continues to improve and I am feeling more confident that they will be good eventually. Shall have to wait and see. The trouble is, there are so many different opinions on the best set-up and given my financial constraints I had to plump for something I could afford.
    I will stick with it (got to really haven't I!) and hopefully find that they will 'do for me', until the next time to change!
    Funny you should mention the OEM disc/DS2500 combination - I very, very nearly went down that route but read something somewhere about 'brake squeal' problems. However, brake squeal can have so many causes!
    It will be interesting to hear how you get on with the OEM/DS2500 option - keep us informed!
    Cheers,
    John.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Stick with it m8, I'm sure it'll come good in the end Sometimes these changes we make r a bit trial n error?!

Incidentally, if anyone is interested (seen as how we're talkin brakes n'all) I think Powercraft r currently sellin set-ups like my Ate Heico's at very reasonable money...erm if they aint all gone?!?

PM me or click my sig if u wanna no more

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Okete
    Hi Dreadly,
    Funny you should mention the OEM disc/DS2500 combination - I very, very nearly went down that route but read something somewhere about 'brake squeal' problems. However, brake squeal can have so many causes!
    It will be interesting to hear how you get on with the OEM/DS2500 option - keep us informed!
    Cheers,
    John.
    funny enough, the biggest problem with the BD pads is the squeal!!!
    S60 T5 in Black/Dirt

Not much else, yet...

This user has no status

Thanks
    Have the same set-up but use the ferrodo performance pads [were ds2000] and find with next to no bedding in they are spot-on and I'ved tried others and been disappointed.
    S70CD t5 manual w/walnut incl. steering wheel, Rica 310 ecu, K&N, switched cold spray to i.c, d/pt plugs, 302mm f/disc, s/s hoses, f/strut brace, polybushed engine mount & control arm bushes,Koni FSDs with 30mm lowered eibach springs. R front bumper, boost gauge on pillar, 17in comets.w/pilot sport 215/45/, aerial down switch, double fog intens.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Have got the Brembo discs and Ferodo DS2500 pads, all fitted by VT and have to say the results are superb. Did some gentle bedding in over about 500 miles, and they really haul the car in from some warp speeds. Going to get the same set up on my V70.

P.S. Have not experienced any brake squeal at all.
    S60 T5 SE in Graphite grey metallic

RICA 310
    TME Cat-Back Exhaust
    Brembo discs/Ferodo pads
    ITG Panel Filter
    Alessio 18" F1 alloys/Toyo Proxes T1-S tyres
    Heico front spoiler flaps
    Volvo rear spoiler

Volvo V70 D5 (my new toy)
    RICA remap
    ITG panel filter
    (what next??)

Coral Red Metallic V70 AWD (now gone)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Mornin' Folks,

T5Slave - Plenty of 'trial' at the moment but hopefully less of the 'error' ! Thanks for the encouragement and will check out Powercraft later on today.

Dreadly - If these start squealing I shall try to doctor them (there is a brilliant thread somewhere about curing brake squeal) but if that don't work - the pads will be coming off pronto! Can't stand squealing brakes!
    What you have said serves to illustrate the diversity of opinion regarding brakes though!

SAMXPJ - If these Predator pads start squealing and i cant cure it, I think I might go for Ferrodo. Are your pads called ds2000 still?

Cheers,
    John.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Morning s60gjp,

You must've been typing at the same time as I was!!
    Glad your set-up has proved a good one - hopefully mine will sort itself out in time!
    Did you source the components yourself? If so, how much did the pads cost you?
    Cheers,
    John.

This user has no status

Thanks
    I can't help wondering where all these private roads are in this country.
    They wouldn't be labelled M1, M27, M6 plus others by any chance, would they?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Hi Adge43,

I'm guessing that these must be the same 'private roads' that the police pursuit drivers train on!!

Cheers,
    John.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Just an update - Have now done about 150 miles with my new brake set-up (not much I know, I live less than a mile from the hospital I work at!) and I have to say they are starting to get really good!
    I think the best 'new' bit of advice was the gentle 'left foot' braking technique - it makes sense and I'm sure it is the softly, softly solution! I'd never tried it before and it certainly feels weird to begin with. Just don't get the power up too much before releasing the brakes !!
    No dreaded squeals at all so far, touch wood!

Cheers,
    John

Thread Information