Join Today
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by spesh
    Not that i'm thinking of goin for more power just yet, but as I have C70 2001 rods in my car, would I be able to push a bit closer to 400bhp????
    Just wondering that all!
    I doubt it. I think 340-350 bhp is probably the max.

Adam.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by V8guitar
    £4900 is alot of wedge though.....£2000 would be more realistic but I don't know what is involved. I would be concerned ( like the rest of you ) about the parts of the car i.e. gearbox, brakes etc.

Adam/Hamish - as you have a captive audience here, perhaps you could post more details and group discount etc!!
    There is no group discount available on this upgrade..

Adam.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Is this the Map that Hamish is running on his monster??

x

is car shopping!
    Thanks
    Hamish took me for a run out in his car on saturday. I think he said that he's got a map of 330 hp in at the mo, but once the Dyno's ready he's gonna have a play with the 400hp stage 3!

It'll be the quickest brick in the land by far soon!!!

This user has no status

Thanks
    What car has Hamish actually got?

This user has no status

Thanks
    P2 V70!

x

Casual poster 15 years on!
    Thanks
    The idea of 400hp is great, but make note of VT's other products, depending on what you want out of a car power is not always the answer to going 'fast'.

I think Volvo is let down by its handling and brakes, so if i were to do it all again with a newer model i would start with a high quality replacement for handling and brakes then move on to the power upgrades !!
    My TWITTER username

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrsmopp
    Is this the Map that Hamish is running on his monster??

x
    Nope, just a "normal" RICA map.

Adam.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by volvotuning
    Contrary to popular belief, we don't spend all the working day on the forum!!!

What in particular would you like to know?

Adam.
    I think its disgraceful that you have other things to do besides log on ( Joke, obviously!! ).

3 Specific questions then ( posting this cos I think others maybe interested ):

1) What about the other mechanicals ? Specifically gearbox ? How sure are you that there will be minimal degradation in life of these i.e. boosting up to 400BHP is pointless if I have to replace my gearbox every 10,000 miles..I'm sure you've checked all this out

2) Any possability of offering just some of these components e.g. just turbo upgrade without exhaust changes. Would this work or would the old system just strangle the performance ( suspect I'm answering my own question here ).

3) Any reasons you have not covered a NOS option ? Any open views on this ??? Madness seems to have moderate success with NOS but the old concerns about engine and component life creep in - why is this upgrade different/safer ??
    Ex-V70 T5 P2 Owner, and loved it!

Audi A4 2.0T - 220 BHP, Daytime
    Skyline R33 GTR - 400 BHP, Playtime!!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by V8guitar
    I think its disgraceful that you have other things to do besides log on ( Joke, obviously!! ).

3 Specific questions then ( posting this cos I think others maybe interested ):

1) What about the other mechanicals ? Specifically gearbox ? How sure are you that there will be minimal degradation in life of these i.e. boosting up to 400BHP is pointless if I have to replace my gearbox every 10,000 miles..I'm sure you've checked all this out

2) Any possability of offering just some of these components e.g. just turbo upgrade without exhaust changes. Would this work or would the old system just strangle the performance ( suspect I'm answering my own question here ).

3) Any reasons you have not covered a NOS option ? Any open views on this ??? Madness seems to have moderate success with NOS but the old concerns about engine and component life creep in - why is this upgrade different/safer ??
    1. Gearbox is fine. Possibly the clutch may need replacing sooner depending on how hard you drive it and how often you drive it that hard.

2. No. It's only available as the complete package. Everything is specially made for the job, exclusively for VT.

3. NOS is cheating - simple as that! And what happens when your NOS bottle runs out and you want to beat Mr Nova? And where are you going to keep your NOS bottle? By the way, Madness blew his engine up on NOS, but I suppose you can call that moderate success.

Adam.
    Last edited by volvotuning; Tuesday 19th April 2005 at 16:56.

is car shopping!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Murphy
    The idea of 400hp is great, but make note of VT's other products, depending on what you want out of a car power is not always the answer to going 'fast'.

I think Volvo is let down by its handling and brakes, so if i were to do it all again with a newer model i would start with a high quality replacement for handling and brakes then move on to the power upgrades !!

I agree with you Murphy. Hamish was showing me the new suspension setup that he has on the car, and think he's uprated the brakes aswell. I'm thinking of sorting the suspension and probably the brakes, before i bother to get the Rica on mine!

There's no point on having loads of power, if the first thing you do is loose control and wrap your pride and joy around a tree!

This user has no status

Thanks
    I must be doing something seriously wrong then.........I get on absolutely fine with my brakes but for some reason everyone else doesn't seem to be able to drive with stock brakes!

x

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Never had trouble with my brakes either

This user has no status
    Thanks
    As far as i no my brick is standard and the brakes are always fading on me!!

Back on the road with 6 gears...........!

is car shopping!
    Thanks
    The stock ones on my P2 V70 aren't too clever, but then again the disc aren't in the best shape in the world. Replacing them for std units may improve them, but it's probably best to uprate them while i'm at it!

....is making a comeback
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MattV70

It'll be the quickest brick in the land by far soon!!!
    We will see about that!!!!!!!!!

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    My brakes are fine - super never fade and always provide great stopping power.

In my experience the stock brakes do fade eventually.

I am running plain 280mm Brembo disks and Ferodo DS Performance pads (Middle spec of the 3 DS pads Ferodo make). With tired shocks braking will be less efficient, simple as. The choice of replacement shocks is a very personal thing. I am very pleased with the monroe's. Bilstein or Koni's all have different characteristic.

Then it is down to whether you take the fun bit first - i.e. the remap and do the other bits later. In my case I split it - brakes, remap and then shocks.

Back to the matter at hand. I have talked to Hamish at great length about the 400. The newer chassis & engines etc are more than capable of delivering the power - I think that the 400 promises to be a very exciting upgrade.
    Last edited by dave850R; Wednesday 20th April 2005 at 01:30.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dave850R
    My brakes are fine - super never fade and always provide great stopping power.

In my experience the stock brakes do fade eventually.

What experience of stock brakes?? You have driven my car - did my brakes fade? Steve is on stock brakes - he doesn't get fade!!

I must just be a better driver than all you lot then if I can drive on stock brakes without wrapping it round a tree ROTFLMSO

x

I have been unfaithful to
    Volvo twice since joining this
    forum but it's only for more
    than 5 pots nuf said
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrsmopp
    What experience of stock brakes?? You have driven my car - did my brakes fade? Steve is on stock brakes - he doesn't get fade!!

I must just be a better driver than all you lot then if I can drive on stock brakes without wrapping it round a tree ROTFLMSO

x
    Daves car being an Auto will use the brakes more than yours therefore more wear and more chance of fade under heavy driving especially with an auto.
    If you slam on the breaks from 100 mph-0mph several times in a row , im sure you will surfer some fade eventually, even with upgraded brakes.
    2004 V50 T5 SE

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lance
    If you slam on the breaks from 100 mph-0mph several times in a row , im sure you will surfer some fade eventually, even with upgraded brakes.
    Does anyone actually do that regularly then??? LOL

Its common sense that the auto's will use the brakes more oftem than the manual (as a general rule) but thats not what my point was :tongue:

x

Thread Information