Join Today
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Casual poster 15 years on!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by After_Shock
    Got to say I like the idea but the only Volvo I would considering doing it to would be the S60/V70 R due to the AWD system.

One of the reasons I never used my C70 in the winter months was because it was undriveable in even just damp conditions, would happily start spinning the front wheels at 60mph in 5th just trying to overtake stuff!
    I think you needed an LSD and a decent set up on your coilovers. I know adams old car has the same mods as yours did i think, and that is very drivable indeed, supprisingly so. But i see your point, and as i said it is border line dangerous !
    My TWITTER username

This user has no status

Thanks
    I didnt have an LSD on mine or even TC as it was a bog standard C70 T5 so it made things interesting! I did have coilovers on it and it was surprisingly difficult to loose traction in the dry, however theirs no other word for it in the wet than Dangerous so I wouldnt like to guess what something with 50bhp more and likely to be running more boost would be like in the wet!

If you are sensible enough at driving and learn how to drive it in the dry its a very quick set up but someone else just jumping in the car would have had it in a field or wall within minutes.

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    I was talking to Adam yesterday, and he said that the boost isnt that high and when questioned about the FWD issues he seemed to think it wouldn't be a problem. AWD was not needed . I dunno what the quoted torque figures are - which is what will make your wheels spin. It's gonna be down to the map isn't it? He also said that driveability would not be sacrified. It must be reasonably accurate else it'll never sell?

It's gonna be a very select group that can put that amount of ££ on the table.
    Last edited by dave850R; Thursday 14th April 2005 at 14:11.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dave850R
    I was talking to Adam yesterday, and he said that the boost isnt that high and when questioned about the FWD issues he seemed to think it wouldn't be a problem. AWD was not needed . I dunno what the quoted torque figures are - which is what will make your wheels spin. It's gonna be down to the map isn't it? He also said that driveability would not be sacrified. It must be reasonably accurate else it'll never sell?

It's gonna be a very select group that can put that amount of ££ on the table.
    I can't see it selling at all Dave.

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Only time will tell.

The stage 2 is about 4 times the price of stage 1, for about 35bhp. Stage 3 is about twice stage 2.

Generally - Tuning is always more expensive the higher you want to go - and the leaps in the gains in horsepower generally get smaller.

If I had the money (and the right car) I would seriously consider it.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dave850R
    Only time will tell.

The stage 2 is about 4 times the price of stage 1, for about 35bhp. Stage 3 is about twice stage 2.

Generally - Tuning is always more expensive the higher you want to go - and the leaps in the gains in horsepower generally get smaller.

If I had the money (and the right car) I would seriously consider it.
    Choosing the car is very important though if you propose to introduce this kind of power. There are a few 850s with not quite 400 hp but i think 390hp. I watched a video of a 390hp 850 doing the nurburgring. Was good to watch, but took real skill and good brakes. You could tell the suspension was absolutly 100% rock solid - no movement at all, because when he planted it coming out of a bend it would begin to bounce - lol.

It set a very quick time - but then i watch a vid of a Porsche 996 GT3 doing the same bit of course, and the flaws in a very powerful volvo became apparent.

I have no doubt there will be some takers for tunning the post 2001 model series, however i think just the fact you can get 400bhp might well sell lots of 300/330hp upgrades !?!?!
    My TWITTER username

This user has no status

Thanks
    Im sure their will be some takers for it, however it is seriously going to compromise the driveability of the car, o.k on a motorway in 4th/5th gear nowt will keep up but 1st, 2nd and 3rd will cause problems regardless of the suspension, unless the map is seriously limited lower down, which then begs the question whats the point if its only going to be quicker than the stage 3 in the top gears as you will be facing jail everytime you want to use its potential in this country!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by After_Shock
    Im sure their will be some takers for it, however it is seriously going to compromise the driveability of the car, o.k on a motorway in 4th/5th gear nowt will keep up but 1st, 2nd and 3rd will cause problems regardless of the suspension, unless the map is seriously limited lower down, which then begs the question whats the point if its only going to be quicker than the stage 3 in the top gears as you will be facing jail everytime you want to use its potential in this country!
    Actually that isn't a bad idea at all that. If you could map each gear for maximum drivability !?!?

You could have a power and torque curve going level from the bottom left to top right in 1st, then make it flatter and flatter the more you go up the box, resulting in 4 having a flat level of torque from 3k to redline and 5th having maximum power and torque from 4500-6000 rpm.

Or something like that. It would be interesting indeed ! Is it feasable though ?
    My TWITTER username

This user has no status

Thanks
    I thought some cars ran like that anyway where each gear was different especially those lower down, obviously the Volvo's are limited in 1st anyway.

But as with any car especially a front wheel drive car their is limits and 400 is well past that limit, its a tribute to Volvo's engineering that the cars can handle anywhere near that through the Front wheels but I would say 400bhp is more a bar room bragging right than a sensible move!

....is making a comeback
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Guess that price doesn't inclued a clutch??????????
    You can get that power out of a 850 no problems, nice set of strengthn'd pistons and rods 19T way to go!!!!
    Just seen the torque figurers 450NM, my car was 426NM just with the RICA software with a standard 15G turbo, now I have a 19T and other bits and bobs can't be far off that!!! Thought it would be more than that in my opinion
    Last edited by spesh; Thursday 14th April 2005 at 16:45.

This user has no status

Thanks
    I think the torque is limited on it just to make the upgrade driveable!

As spesh says all that needs uprating is the pistons and rods as those are the limiting factor in the engines, they must have altered them in the years of cars this upgrade is available for.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by steveT5
    You really have to be in the money is no object bracket for something like this !!
    Rules me out then !!! I couldnt afford a T5 new enough to put it on !!
    I bet Guy (V8 Guitar) is making enquiries though !
    Just remember mate you need that new central heating system from me more than 400BHP for the car.
    Well I might just have to take a look at this...Adam I shall be ringing you...

£4900 is alot of wedge though.....£2000 would be more realistic but I don't know what is involved. I would be concerned ( like the rest of you ) about the parts of the car i.e. gearbox, brakes etc.

Adam/Hamish - as you have a captive audience here, perhaps you could post more details and group discount etc!!

But 400 BHP!!! That would be cool, perhap it would mean I could keep up with you guys on the strip!!

Now, I think you should all club some money together to put towards my upgrade so I can give you some feedback...a sort of a group test!! I would be happy to make that sacrifice in the interest of research!!

Who needs to keep warm, the summers coming...and I hope your quote is cheaper than that!!
    Ex-V70 T5 P2 Owner, and loved it!

Audi A4 2.0T - 220 BHP, Daytime
    Skyline R33 GTR - 400 BHP, Playtime!!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I am very surprised that neither Adam or Hamish has posted a comment or 2 on the subject. Like V8 said they have a very captive audience.
    Greg. 35 Year old pair of legs...

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Contrary to popular belief, we don't spend all the working day on the forum!!!

What in particular would you like to know?

Adam.

....is making a comeback
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Can this sytem be used on C70's post 2001?

This user has no status

Thanks
    what does a 280 rica cost? jel.
    ________
    Mature Webcam
    Last edited by taha22464; Wednesday 11th May 2011 at 17:43.

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Send 'em an email.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by spesh
    Can this sytem be used on C70's post 2001?
    Yes!

Adam.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by taha22464
    what does a 280 rica cost? jel.
    £290 + VAT

Adam.

....is making a comeback
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Not that i'm thinking of goin for more power just yet, but as I have C70 2001 rods in my car, would I be able to push a bit closer to 400bhp????
    Just wondering that all!

Thread Information