Join Today
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    This user has no status

Thanks

Smile At last it starts...

So after being at the electrician for two days he decided the car was immobised but couldn't decide what it was.

They changed the transponder in the ign barrel and it didn't help.

I decided to get the car moved to a Volvo main dealer so I paid my bill with the first garage (£280), paid the recovery guy (£70) and left it with the Volvo main dealer in Basingstoke.

They called me later that afternoon to say they had started it.

The did the following:

Found imm code IMM-321 ign signal, ecm signal missing
    Checked antena ring connections - ok
    Checked coil - ok
    Checked fly Wheel sensor - ok
    Checked wiring for open circuit or resistance between ecu and imm - ok
    Removed ECU and Imm cleaned connections and re-fitted- Car Started!!!

Can you believe it!!!

We have spent over £600 on the car and it had dirty terminals!

Thank you all for your suggestions

Andrew
    This user has no status
    <clensed by author>
    Last edited by Andrew; Sunday 5th November 2006 at 10:24.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Get yourself a can of electrical contact cleaner - it sounds like it wil be a good investment. About &#163;5 from Maplins and worth every penny, I fixed a "no noises" horn by dousing the contacts behind the airbag with it so just imagine what you could be saving/doing.

Glad you are back and running.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew
    BISON are you reading this ?
    Are you having similar problems?

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jonj
    So after being at the electrician for two days he decided the car was immobised but couldn't decide what it was.

They changed the transponder in the ign barrel and it didn't help.

I decided to get the car moved to a Volvo main dealer so I paid my bill with the first garage (£280), paid the recovery guy (£70) and left it with the Volvo main dealer in Basingstoke.

They called me later that afternoon to say they had started it.

The did the following:

Found imm code IMM-321 ign signal, ecm signal missing
    Checked antena ring connections - ok
    Checked coil - ok
    Checked fly Wheel sensor - ok
    Checked wiring for open circuit or resistance between ecu and imm - ok
    Removed ECU and Imm cleaned connections and re-fitted- Car Started!!!

Can you believe it!!!

We have spent over £600 on the car and it had dirty terminals!

Thank you all for your suggestions
    I'm pleased it's sorted for you jonj. These sort of sagas throw the normal routines of life.

Andrew
    This user has no status
    <clensed by author>

This user has no status

Thanks
    It is an expensive job checking everythihng else, almost worth checking it first as it doesn't cost anything.

The symptoms were the car was immobilsed, no spark coming from the coil.

This user has no status

Harlow, Essex. Drives : An 855 T-5R Gul. To Fit: PCV & 'Stage 0' bits, and a damn good servicing!
    Thanks
    well as you say - at least its sorted!

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew
    BISON are you reading this ?
    I was going to say that

His car is living @ VT so hopefully they will sort it for him

Andrew
    This user has no status
    <clensed by author>

This user has no status

Thanks

Bad News!!!

Everything was going so well. On the way back from London yesterday I stopped to get something to eat. Came out to the car and it wouldn't start. Exactly the same thing. Called the AA and just as they turned up it started it!

I dr4ove it home and played with it on my drive for a bit, it seemed to be fine. I tried to start it this morning, same thing. Just turns over but still no spark!

I turned the key to position three then quickly turned it of and then back to three again and it started!

It is going back to the main dealer tomorrow

This user has no status
    Thanks
    If you have an 850, bet you a pound to a penny that it is the relay which operates the fuel injection system that is faulty, this will cause intermittent starting and the loss of your spark, part number 3545803, COSTS £21,does not show up when doing a diagnostic check,P.

Andrew
    This user has no status
    <clensed by author>
    Last edited by Andrew; Sunday 5th November 2006 at 10:25.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paullyp
    If you have an 850, bet you a pound to a penny that it is the relay which operates the fuel injection system that is faulty, this will cause intermittent starting and the loss of your spark, part number 3545803, COSTS &#163;21,does not show up when doing a diagnostic check,P.
    This relay is situated under the radiator cowling, takes 5 secs to remove, on opening the relay it has a set of contact points, the points can sometime fuse together, eventually they will free themselves, usually after you have changed the flywheel sensor, cambelt sensor and the coilpack. Ever 850 owner should carry a spare, if your car fails to start, change this relay before you head off to the garage, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.
    A guy gave me a call the other day to tell me he had changed his turbo hoses for SAMCO ones and his car wouldn't start, yep you have guessed right, on fixing the top hose had knocked the relay and lost the connection.If anyone needs any clarification on this relay, pm me with a contact number,Paullyp

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paullyp
    This relay is situated under the radiator cowling, takes 5 secs to remove, on opening the relay it has a set of contact points, the points can sometime fuse together, eventually they will free themselves, usually after you have changed the flywheel sensor, cambelt sensor and the coilpack. Ever 850 owner should carry a spare, if your car fails to start, change this relay before you head off to the garage, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.
    A guy gave me a call the other day to tell me he had changed his turbo hoses for SAMCO ones and his car wouldn't start, yep you have guessed right, on fixing the top hose had knocked the relay and lost the connection.If anyone needs any clarification on this relay, pm me with a contact number,Paullyp
    Hi Paul,

This is the same issue I spoke to you on the phone about 2 weeks ago. I have a V70 and the relay seems to be different to the 850.

The Garage had it today and it started everytime they tried it, no codes stored in either the ECU or Immobilser. They are going to change the Cam sensor tomorrow as this is the last part to change.

The Relay I have under the radiator cowling doesn't look like it comes apart. Do you know if it is the same as the 850?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I'm 200% behind Paul on this one. My car was a non runner too with all the same symptoms as yours. The garage replaced sensors and a coil/amp etc all to no avail and one quick call to "paul the Volvo fixing Guru" later and it ran!
    The problem with mine wasn't the actual relay but the wires on the connector to the relay. I've seen this problem on one other post here.
    Trust Paul, use the force!!!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    If your relay does not have the part no 3545803, I expect your is the later type engine and what you are looking at is the manifold absolute pressure sensor. Different kettle of fish, you have said that it is starting in the garage, therefore remember the golden rules
    1. Check to see if you have a spark at plugs.. if so,coilpack and leads ok then.
    If not...In order of probability Fuel rail relay/manifold absolute pressure sensor or connection, this will cause intermittent starting, sometimes months will pass. Symptoms are, car not starting, and then starts later on or next day, without any problems.Then flywheel sensor, lasts approx 125,000 to 150,000 miles usually, then camshaft position sensor.
    2. If you have a spark and still does not start, check you are getting fuel. If not check fuses and relay and pump for activation noise.
    3. Remove ecu and clean connections, you can attempt to reset the ecu by disconnecting the battery for 24 hours, remove ecu if doing this,(best calling me first for clarification...methinks).
    4.We know that there are other factors, injectors, split or damaged hoses or pipework,timing etc etc.
    What I have written above (longwinded I know) are the tried and tested methods and sequence, REMEMBER most starting issues will not show up during a diagnostic, and you will still have to pay the garage, check all of the above and fix or fit to the best of your skills if your car still doesn't start AT LEAST you will have eliminated some of the problem areas.PHEW...ANY PROBS GET ME AT...your@themaddam.wanadoo.co.uk.
    Last edited by Paullyp; Wednesday 1st November 2006 at 17:35.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Got it back from the garage again yesterday, it has been fine the whole time they had it. I have replaced the CAM shaft sensor now aswell so there isn't really any thing else it can be.

I'll let you know next time it packs up!!!!

This user has no status

Thanks
    Guess what!!!!

Drove it to work this morning and it never started again!

Exactly the same thing, engine turns over but won't start. The alarm LED is flashing fast for 15 seconds and the car won't start.

I managed to get Green Flag to recover it (again, 4th time) and dropped it off to the Volvo garage. They tested it when it arrived and it didn't work s I left it with them over night. They called me today to say the got it in the garage this afternoon and it started, they can't find anything wrong with it!

I am fuming!!!!

I have read lots of things about this with other peoples cars, has anyone managed to sort their problems out?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 727 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gareth
    I'm 200% behind Paul on this one. My car was a non runner too with all the same symptoms as yours. The garage replaced sensors and a coil/amp etc all to no avail and one quick call to "paul the Volvo fixing Guru" later and it ran!
    The problem with mine wasn't the actual relay but the wires on the connector to the relay. I've seen this problem on one other post here.
    Trust Paul, use the force!!!
    Exactly the same problem i had,one of the wires which plugged into the connector had split apart.I used a terminal block to reconnect them and the car started instantly. By the way the wires were wrapped up in some sort of sleeving so i had to cut this back a couple of inches. Paullyp really knows his stuff.

Thread Information