Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

Running Phase 2 V70 to high mileages / Second hand values

What experiences do you chaps have of running the latest shape V70 T5 to high mileages? Do they live up to Volvo's reputation for reliability and low running costs.

Mine has dumped a few big bills on me recently (around 90k miles) requiring some suspension components, throttle module and at the moment probably an ABS module or new ECU. What other things might I expect to wear out?

My car is a MY2000 V70 T5SE with Geartronic box, self levelling suspension, DSTC, premium pack, family pack, 150W amplifier option, integrated GSM phone, winter pack, 7 seats, reversing sensors. In this spec the car when new was priced up in the UK at about £36k. I imported the car from Holland for about £28k.

It has also had a chip from our friends at Volvo Tuning. What would be the consensus on what the car is worth if i were to sell it? (I have owned the car from new).

Doug

This user has no status

Thanks
    I'm now at 186k miles and still going strong.

Components that can wear out, do wear out and get replaced. Where feasible, my policy is to replace worn out parts with their "uprated" equivalent.
    So, the shocks, springs and most suspension parts have been replaced over time. Many of the plastic and rubber hoses in the engine bay. Even the seats!

The chassis and other non-wearing parts will effectively last forever. I guess it's just a matter of when it becomes no longer economical to replace expensive worn items.
    But, even quite large items are not that expensive compared to the cost of scrapping the car and buying a new one. A recon gearbox: £800 fitted, a recon block & head: £1500 fitted
    If the turbo unit ever fails, then that's my justification to replace it with a 19T !!
    Robb
    Silver 2001 V70 T5 ex-plod
    Eibach lowered springs, Monroe Reflex shocks; 17" Almathea's shod with P6000's (eBay £50 net); Black leather interior (eBay £410)

This user has no status

Thanks
    If you've owned the car from new, then you're always going to take a massive depreciation hit when you sell it.
    The only way to not take that hit is to never sell it, or at least, delay selling it for as long as you possibly can. For about another 10 years or so, it's going to be cheaper to keep it on the road than replace it.

But that's just economics and ignores the whole emotional side of having a new car ...
    Robb
    Silver 2001 V70 T5 ex-plod
    Eibach lowered springs, Monroe Reflex shocks; 17" Almathea's shod with P6000's (eBay £50 net); Black leather interior (eBay £410)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    BrightonBreezy has summed it up very well. Do you need to sell it or do you want to sell it?

Its just luck. I have an '02 "W" at 111K which is requiring lots of minor things such as bushes to get it up to top spec.

I had a new(ish) clio which was a bloody money pit. Even the accountant expressed pleasure when I got rid and cut my losses.

Thread Information