Join Today
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Swollen Member
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,408 Times in 1,497 Posts
    To be really honest, if I'm still the proud owner of a T5 at the end of this year, I'm replacing my DS2500 pads with standard Volvo pads !!

The DS2500 pads do offer better performance WHEN REQUIRED, but everyday normal driving standard pads are perfectly adequate & without that bloody dust.

Call me crazy but my DS2500 will be going in the bin before the years out, that's if the T5 doesn't sell !!

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adriancole View Post
    Did we ever get to the bottom of this?

Are they the same?

Who sells what?
    The Police Spec pads are genuine Volvo items. On the P2 car they are definitely a different compound, on the P1 car it is a matter of some contention whether there is any difference other than the wear indicator. There are reports that when handled, the Plod spec one's leave a lot more brakedust on your hands than the standard ones, suggesting they are a different compound. It has never officially been answered either way. The P1/850 plod spec front part number is 30645450.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Indeed P2 plod spec pads dust like hell, but they are paticularly good at resisting fade, even with a fully loaded car, Although they do tend to smoke a bit when they are very hot.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Loadsamiles For This Useful Post:

Rufe (Saturday 5th July 2008)

Trader
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    i can supply both types of police spec pads (and standard pads of course) for P1 and P2.... though i have never stated that there is any performance upgrade with either P1 or P2 types pads, quite simply as i do not know either way. I would be as interested as anyone to find out what the difference in compund actually is.
    If VOLVO is Your Drug, I am Your Dealer!

FRF FEEDBACK (click here)

Click Here for Info on FRF Motors...

<FOR QUOTES PLEASE CALL 01792 790066 / 01792 784272>

(Mon to Fri 9am to 5pm)

PLEASE QUOTE DISCOUNT CODE: "C3" FOR OUR BEST DISCOUNTED PRICES!

This user has no status

Thanks
    Why didn't they put sensors on the p1 standard car as they are all big heavy cars, most other makes have them. Also it could be a safety issue on one of the safest car builders in the business!!!!!. Just an observation.

Thanks
    Russ.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    So do P2 V70's not have the pad wear sensor and circuitry ? I thought this was standard on all medium range and up cars for the last 10 years or so...
    Chris
    2010 Alfa Romeo 159 JTDm
    2001 V70 T5 SE (RICA 310)
    1997 9000 Aero (Abbotted)

Visit my Rant

I have been unfaithful to
    Volvo twice since joining this
    forum but it's only for more
    than 5 pots nuf said
    Thanks
    I know Ive had skodas fitted with em, dont have a clue why!
    2004 V50 T5 SE

This user has no status
    Thanks
    wondering if i have these pads in mine, they dust up very bad however i drive !

This user has no status

Thanks
    sorry to dig up an earlier post in this thread but the police do use non genuine items from time to time.

i work for goodyear and i go upto the police workshops quite regular, they have many s60's, a few v70 phase 2's and about 3-4 mitsubishi evos.

i had a chat with one of the mechanics who was fitting some new discs and pads to one of the evos, i noticed they were non gen parts and looked like ebc ones.

i was right theyre were infact ebc grooved and drilled discs and ebc pads, he said they last longer and are cheaper than genuine so we buy them instead.

This user has no status
    Thanks

Marketing.

Get in touch with The Mac Doctor now.
    (Covering Norwich and Norfolk)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by volvotuning View Post
    Some forces or cars, quite possibly! Maybe a police force can choose to use any pads they wish. I don't know!

All Hamish is saying is that the Volvo Police Spec pads will provide the same performance as a standard Volvo pad because the Volvo Police Spec pads are not performance pads.

Adam.
    Hey , the old "police spec - car - tyres - extra power motor - suspension etc " In Aussie in the 1980s the cop car was a Commadore that was your Vauxhall of some description with a widened floor pan and Aussie suspension and if not a 5 litre V8 it had a Nissan 3.0 lt straight 6 / 4 speed auto and also the Nissan with turbo. Now the police spec was one that you could have by just ticking the hard suspension and the yellow paint and you had a PURSUIT car if you had the V8 ... They had a model code i think was BT 1 and the young boys even today drive these old crappers with BT 1 on the number plate or sell them as EX-COP cars.....Just rubbish that goes fast. Incidentally that 1980s , VL , V8 , Walkinshaw Commodore was the first Tom Walkinshaw road / race car that he designed for Holden Aus , with twin throttle body 4.9 V8 , 4 speed non -synchromesh gearbox and a really ugly spoiler kit that was needed to make it stick at high speed......PETER "PERFECT" BROCK [OR BROCKY} Who also drove an 850R race Wagon and sedan was the MAIN MAN at Holden Race Team then....Now worth a hell of a lot of $$$$. # Take note BROCKY on this forum....ANd Mate , I WILL PM YOU SOON CHEERS LES M>>

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cgrextreme View Post
    sorry to dig up an earlier post in this thread but the police do use non genuine items from time to time.

i work for goodyear and i go upto the police workshops quite regular, they have many s60's, a few v70 phase 2's and about 3-4 mitsubishi evos.

i had a chat with one of the mechanics who was fitting some new discs and pads to one of the evos, i noticed they were non gen parts and looked like ebc ones.

i was right theyre were infact ebc grooved and drilled discs and ebc pads, he said they last longer and are cheaper than genuine so we buy them instead.
    YES! CHEAPER !!! The plod is a government dept after all , so dont expect any special bits will get on a plod car ..

Trader
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    I think the relevant bit here,re performance improvement,has been overlooked,the P1 cars the police used all had 302mm discs and therefore bigger pads.Bigger braking surface=better stopping.Hence they do offer an upgrade over 280mm standard brakes if you are installing the full disc/caliper bracket/pad combination on to a civilian car.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    hi there i got told by a police friend of mine that proper!! police specs pads are no better in performance or that, and the only difference is that police pads are 5mm thicker as volvo ones didnt make it from one cop service to the next service and he drive a copper t5 every day and takes it to service so he should know

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by c70Portree View Post
    hi there i got told by a police friend of mine that proper!! police specs pads are no better in performance or that, and the only difference is that police pads are 5mm thicker as volvo ones didnt make it from one cop service to the next service and he drive a copper t5 every day and takes it to service so he should know
    Wow 10 mm extra per caliper.....i did not think there was that much room, maybe they took 5mm off the backing pad each side to make them fit....
    Cheers
    Jod
    855 rica 304bhp, Adjusted Wastegate, Bleed Valve, ITG Panel Filter, 171k fsh, Volvo Strutt Brace, Polybush Topmount , 4mm Samco Vacuum Hoses, 10 Core "Racing" Ht Leads, 302mm Volvo Discs under 16" Columba Alloys, Performance DS2500 Fronts Red Stuff Rears, Drillled Airbox, 5w/40 Oil Changed @ 5k intervals,

764 B230ET 108k FVSH No mods yet...Planning underway.....

Dum Spiro Spero

VOC 850/70 Register Keeper
    VOC 20419

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jod T5 View Post
    Wow 10 mm extra per caliper.....i did not think there was that much room, maybe they took 5mm off the backing pad each side to make them fit....
    Cheers
    Jod
    is that so the pistons pop when they are down to the metal?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PNuT View Post
    is that so the pistons pop when they are down to the metal?
    Thats right, then its handbrake only, but apparently the police spec rear shoes are the DB's......
    Cheers
    Jod
    855 rica 304bhp, Adjusted Wastegate, Bleed Valve, ITG Panel Filter, 171k fsh, Volvo Strutt Brace, Polybush Topmount , 4mm Samco Vacuum Hoses, 10 Core "Racing" Ht Leads, 302mm Volvo Discs under 16" Columba Alloys, Performance DS2500 Fronts Red Stuff Rears, Drillled Airbox, 5w/40 Oil Changed @ 5k intervals,

Dum Spiro Spero

VOC 20419

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thats right, then its handbrake only, but apparently the police spec rear shoes are the DB's......
    Cheers
    Jod
    ive just changed my pads & noway would you get an extra 10mm in....

a set of pads in 6-10k is fairly impressive

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PNuT View Post
    ive just changed my pads & noway would you get an extra 10mm in....

a set of pads in 6-10k is fairly impressive
    Agreed...Top effort......
    Cheers
    Jod

Dum Spiro Spero

VOC 20419

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Cheers
    Jod
    Or maybe they just skimmed 5mm off each side of the disc.

Get in touch with The Mac Doctor now.
    (Covering Norwich and Norfolk)

Thread Information