Join Today
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    This user has no status

Thanks

Warning - police spec brake pads!

Hi all

It has been brought to my attention that certain individuals and companies are selling 'police spec brake pads' as a performance upgrade! They are trying to suggest that these pads somehow offer better braking performance over standard pads and are even going so far as to suggest that these perform as well as performance pads like the Ferodo DS 2500.

So what are police spec pads? Police spec pads are nothing more than standard volvo brake pads with a wear indicator wire. The police cars have pad warning lights, the police spec pads are made by Jurid in France using the same materials as the standard pad and conform to the same european standard 90r. I appreciate that some people already have these fitted and are very happy with them, please do not be alarmed, these pads are NOT dangerous, they are just standard volvo items and can be brought from GSF, as an OE spec part, for £43. (GSF Part No.V64138)

As you can see from the photographs, the Jurid pad looks identical to the Volvo police spec pad and even has the same numbers stamped into the backing plate.

So DO NOT be decieved! Police spec pads are NOT performance pads. They are just standard pads with warning indicator wires ( which will be redundant on a civilian car ) , which is why they have nice big fat anti squeal schims on their backs, and because of their low friction hard compound they are unlikely to shed as much dust as a true performace pad. Any reported improvements with these pads will be attributed to the fact that the people who have fitted them are comparing 'old with new'.

Regards,
    Hamish

2. The Following User Says Thank You to hamish For This Useful Post:

LesRED850R (Sunday 3rd August 2008)

This user has no status

Thanks
    thank you for that info. i was always gonna get the ds2500s when i do need to change, but i know i would have always wondered if i should've got "police spec pads" instead and saved some money. will wonder no more

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Wow, there you go... - My dad loves them, he rekons there the best pads since sliced bread, so I'm not gonna tell him different
    S60 T5 in Black/Dirt

ITG Filter, few HICO styling bits.
    'STILL Considering' the RICA.
    Not much else, yet...

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I thought that the police ran Mintex. At least, that's what my car came with...?
    Alastair
    Current: 2009 Cayenne GTS and a 2016 Prius IV... yes.
    Previous Volvos: 2009 V50 D5 R-Design, 2005 V70R, 2001 V70 T5, 2001 S40 T4, 2x 1999 S40 T4, 2003 V40 T4, 1999 V70 T5, 1996 854 T5 & 855 T5, 1995 855 T5, and a 480...
    Previous other stuff: Saxo Turbo, 2004 996 C4S, 2008 Z4M, 2001 Yaris T-Sport, 2002 S2000 Mugen, and a 1999 Evo VI

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Al115
    I thought that the police ran Mintex. At least, that's what my car came with...?
    Some forces or cars, quite possibly! Maybe a police force can choose to use any pads they wish. I don't know!

All Hamish is saying is that the Volvo Police Spec pads will provide the same performance as a standard Volvo pad because the Volvo Police Spec pads are not performance pads.

Adam.
    Last edited by volvotuning; Monday 16th October 2006 at 16:34.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Interesting, I’ve been checking out current pad materials as well, you guys might just have saved me some time, powerful thing imagination
    Engineer

This user has no status

Thanks
    You will not find any police forces using non-standard volvo parts in general - as it was explained to me.

They use Manufacturers parts only - cost is no issue to them, and they get exceptional pricing. Where else can you pick up a brand spanking T5 for on average @20k ? (They used to get them much much cheaper than that!)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Blewis
    You will not find any police forces using non-standard volvo parts in general - as it was explained to me.

They use Manufacturers parts only - cost is no issue to them, and they get exceptional pricing. Where else can you pick up a brand spanking T5 for on average @20k ? (They used to get them much much cheaper than that!)
    Or Buy one S60 T5 and get a Focus free

Through word of mouth thats what Northumbria got as a deal a while back.

This user has no status

Thanks

Smile Police spec facts

Quote Originally Posted by hamish
    Hi all

It has been brought to my attention that certain individuals and companies are selling 'police spec brake pads' as a performance upgrade! They are trying to suggest that these pads somehow offer better braking performance over standard pads and are even going so far as to suggest that these perform as well as performance pads like the Ferodo DS 2500.

So what are police spec pads? Police spec pads are nothing more than standard volvo brake pads with a wear indicator wire. The police cars have pad warning lights, the police spec pads are made by Jurid in France using the same materials as the standard pad and conform to the same european standard 90r. I appreciate that some people already have these fitted and are very happy with them, please do not be alarmed, these pads are NOT dangerous, they are just standard volvo items and can be brought from GSF, as an OE spec part, for £43. (GSF Part No.V64138)

As you can see from the photographs, the Jurid pad looks identical to the Volvo police spec pad and even has the same numbers stamped into the backing plate.

So DO NOT be decieved! Police spec pads are NOT performance pads. They are just standard pads with warning indicator wires ( which will be redundant on a civilian car ) , which is why they have nice big fat anti squeal schims on their backs, and because of their low friction hard compound they are unlikely to shed as much dust as a true performace pad. Any reported improvements with these pads will be attributed to the fact that the people who have fitted them are comparing 'old with new'.

Regards,
    Hamish

Hi Hamish

I hope you don’t mind just thought I would add some facts to your post.

The pads you have pictured are phase 2 v70 and s60/s80 pads.

Volvo do not manufacturer as special “police compound” brake pad for this series off vehicles instead they offer a 17” upgrade kit. This brake kit is mostly found on the high speed unmarked pursuit vehicles which never see a dealer in there life. They are repaired by police employed technicians in there own workshops.

As you state the newer 305mm brakes on this series are adequate as standard for traffic police use.

Taxi pads are also supplied with wear indicators for this and the old series of cars i.e. 850/v/c/s70 series.

We only supply only “police compound” pads for phase 1 v70 and 850c/s70 series.

From your pictures I can only see the backing plate identification mark as a common denominator between them. Not surprising as bendix/jurid make backing plates for many OEM manufacturers.

They have different compound data and different manufacturer details.

Thanks Stuart SW Autos Limited

Ps Don’t want an argument just stating facts.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanks, Stu I had been wondering and trying to find out why the had different E marks and what the 90R/****/xxx meant, the **** is the friction material type, and the xxx is the size.

They look the same and are designed to fit certain size calipers, therefore use a standard template.

This user has no status

Thanks

Another Warning about Police Spec Pads

Another Warning about police spec brake pads!

For PHASE 1 CARS (850/ S70/C70 etc)

Hi all

So what are police spec pads? Police spec pads are nothing more than standard volvo brake pads with a wear indicator wire. The police cars have pad warning lights, the police spec pads are made by Jurid in France using the same materials as the standard pad and conform to the same spec. I appreciate that some people already have these fitted and are very happy with them, please do not be alarmed, these pads are NOT dangerous, they are just standard volvo items and can be brought from your Volvo dealer for for £44.40 + VAT (civilian) or £51.50 + VAT (police spec with wear indicators.) or from GSF for less (Specify Jurid).

As you can see from the photographs, the Standard pad looks identical to the Volvo police spec pad and even has the same numbers stamped into the backing plate. The Police spec pads are dated 11/07/02 and therefore predate 90R approval. These are not Taxi pads as somebody tryed to suggest in my previous warning. These photos are of Civilian / Police Pads for Phase 1 cars.

Regards,
    Hamish

This user has no status
    Thanks
    And this appears to be a duplicate posting.......with maybe one letter changed...
    Standard V70 T5

Scottish bloke
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thats what I was thinking.....

Whats the reasion for another thread about the same thing?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Yeah I had to read them both a few times. I think Hamish is pointing out with newer photos that this applies to the older models as well as the new ones, which Stu questioned in the last thread. Reading both threads' replies it looks like Stu is selling "police spec" pads and Hamish is saying that "police spec" means nothing special. I don't care anyway, I run Pagids
    Martin

2 strokes, 10 horse power and 8,000 miles. Read my story.
    Mongol by Minsk 2007: www.mongolbyminsk.com

This user has no status

Thanks
    Which model Pagids Martin? Have you had them long? Will they eat your discs up

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Merged the 2 threads - please stick to a single thread on the subject.
    Alastair
    Current: 2009 Cayenne GTS and a 2016 Prius IV... yes.
    Previous Volvos: 2009 V50 D5 R-Design, 2005 V70R, 2001 V70 T5, 2001 S40 T4, 2x 1999 S40 T4, 2003 V40 T4, 1999 V70 T5, 1996 854 T5 & 855 T5, 1995 855 T5, and a 480...
    Previous other stuff: Saxo Turbo, 2004 996 C4S, 2008 Z4M, 2001 Yaris T-Sport, 2002 S2000 Mugen, and a 1999 Evo VI

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Al115
    Merged the 2 threads - please stick to a single thread on the subject.
    I think one was aimed at Phase2 cars and the other at Phase1 cars so theoretically they should have been seperate, if yer being picky...
    S60 T5 in Black/Dirt

Not much else, yet...

Scottish bloke
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dreadly
    I think one was aimed at Phase2 cars and the other at Phase1 cars so theoretically they should have been seperate, if yer being picky...
    In that case the threads should have been named as such....

As both threads read the same apart from P1 and P2 they are fine as one!!!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fraz13
    In that case the threads should have been named as such....

As both threads read the same apart from P1 and P2 they are fine as one!!!
    Lol, just thought it should be pointed out, I do agree though, took me a while to 'spot the difference'
    S60 T5 in Black/Dirt

Not much else, yet...

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Did we ever get to the bottom of this?

Are they the same?

Who sells what?
    Standard V70 T5

Thread Information