Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

Unhappy Panel filter or induction????

Right call me wot u like but can someone explain to me the benefit of sucking in hot air from around the engine bay with an induction kit (cone filtery thing!!) is better than nice fresh outside/cooler air as this all seems bizarre to me!!!

This user has no status

Thanks
    I think most people do it for the noise.I agree though good power can be made from the std setup with pannel filter.I can see the advantage in somthing like BMC CDA though.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Noise. Any other reasoning / explanation regarding performance will result in an outright forum war. Again.
    Martin

2 strokes, 10 horse power and 8,000 miles. Read my story.
    Mongol by Minsk 2007: www.mongolbyminsk.com

This user has no status

Thanks
    To be honest and having both, the cone just sounds sooo good (five cylinders chomping), but needs a heat shield(supplied with the BSR unit) to counter act the engine heat.The air inlet also runs to the heatshield housing the same as the air box. One thing that will probably follow this message is that it is said (by they who know) the cone filter will feck up the MAF ??. So honestly, advantage sound , disadvantage ??

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by volvolised
    To be honest and having both, the cone just sounds sooo good (five cylinders chomping), but needs a heat shield(supplied with the BSR unit) to counter act the engine heat.The air inlet also runs to the heatshield housing the same as the air box. One thing that will probably follow this message is that it is said (by they who know) the cone filter will feck up the MAF ??. So honestly, advantage sound , disadvantage ??
    It will only feck the maf up if the filter is oiled.The film of oil that builds up on the maf then affects its readings.

Andrew
    This user has no status
    I tend to go for a nice K&N Panel Filter. Always had good results with them and never any problems.

Ac.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    K&N panel filter for me too.
    1998 V70R Saffron

Black sports grill with heico +r badge
    Relocated horns
    Powerflex top mount
    V70r 3rd brake light decal
    Genuine volvo strut brace
    Boost guage, in A pillar mount
    Tinted windows
    Miltek cat back exhaust
    more soon

Andrew
    This user has no status
    Just ensure with the K&N you use their nice spray which stops the dirt from penetrating. Being a bit paranoid I also replace this every 12 months similar to oil filter and plugs.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I'm currently using a cheapie 'MotorWorld' CDA unit (45.00quid) seems ok, but not so good when your intake pipe is so low that it sucks up all the rain and spray off the f3ckin road!!!!!!!!!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    BMC CDA - I've been getting the best results with this, although I miss the noise terribly.

Chris
    Merc 190E 2.0 Auto

This user has no status

Thanks
    ITG panel filter from Volvotuning, least then your sucking in colder denser air which means more power, as you can fit more ait into each cylinder. Using a cone filter will only suck warm air in from the engine bay which aint good. Sucking rain up will definately start breaking things!

This user has no status

Thanks
    i find this quite confusing really, i'm sure hot air is taken in if you're in a traffic jam, but you dont really need any power at the time anyway. but when you're moving surely you'd be getting a nice supply of cold air?
    on my old car i first put a panel filter in, then drilled holes in the housing, then got an induction kit and then got a heat shield specifically for the car, and tbh the only difference i felt was the noise

This user has no status

Thanks
    Normal paper filters are restrictive and aint designed for maximum performance.
    An induction kit will sound nice but you have to spend a far bit of money to get one that will increase the power.
    Basically the colder the air the denser it is, the denser the air the more oxygen is in it so you get more oxygen into each cylinder so you get a bigger bang and a bit more power.
    The standard airbox is probaly the best heatshild you'll get, for about £50 you can get an ITG panel filter delivered.
    I've used induction kits in the past and they sound nice but thats about it really.

Hope this helps you?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 727 Posts

Smile

I agree with fil4577. When i first got my car i put the k&n 57i kit on it.The noice was great as you heard it sucking in the air.The kit included two cold air feed pipes which had to be fitted in the correct place and so many centimetres away from the filter but to be honest i didn't feel any difference in power.For roughly £90 it wasn't worth it in my opinion. I now use the k&n panel filter in the standard airbox.This was £30,again i don't really notice any difference but at least it lasts for 100,000 miles then you just clean and re oil it.
    Having the rica304 upgrade was noticeable though.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    My advice would be an ITG panel filter from VT. Fitted one to my S60 T5 and it made a world of difference over the standard paper filter. Cone filters are good for noise, but thats all. Cold, dense air is better for efficient combustion, so stick to the Volvo box, as its intake positions are in the right place. Hope this helps you decide which to choose.
    S60 T5 SE in Graphite grey metallic

RICA 310
    TME Cat-Back Exhaust
    Brembo discs/Ferodo pads
    ITG Panel Filter
    Alessio 18" F1 alloys/Toyo Proxes T1-S tyres
    Heico front spoiler flaps
    Volvo rear spoiler

Volvo V70 D5 (my new toy)
    RICA remap
    ITG panel filter
    (what next??)

Coral Red Metallic V70 AWD (now gone)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Im using the standard K&N panel filter that the R comes with, just cleaned and oiled it last week,, I have no complaints,,and the local Evo round here,, still has not managed to whoop my ass yet, so Im happy with the K&N,, plus,, with a noisey exhaust,, whos gonna hear the induction kit anyway.....lol

Connor

Thread Information